Shiva Chandra - Symbol

RTP

As I'm quite a fan of Shiva Chandra I'm asking for some opinions. I didn't see this album mentioned or reviewed anywhere (except of a promo post (in the wrong subforum) on here and on other forums :P ).

Has anybody heard it yet? I was half-playing with the thought that I maybe might buy this one ... but right now I'm checking samples and they don't convince me. He has changed his music a bit and now it's like he mixed the style he drove until now with prog-house influences ... and I don't like this, it leaves an icky sweet-sour aftertaste. And in addition to that I feel like the weirdness is gone ... the special, Shiva Chandra-esque kind of "whimsicalness" ("mischievousness" states the dictionary for that word, but I don't mean mischievous, I mean whimsical), you know (or you don't know, either way :P ), the weird repetitive sounds (read: weird, Symbol is only repetitive) ... I miss it in the samples ... I can't hear it, only sometimes it is there, but dim and little. Anyway, it's not what it used to be. I don't find it bad when artists change, but this stuff is not that good. Samples didn't convince me. It's not bad in the sense of awful, but I don't want to spend my money on that, I don't have that much.

So are there other opinions? Anyone got this album and can tell me if my impression is true? Or does it grow on the listener?

And besides, Shiva chandra now has myspace (and a website seems to be under construction). That's odd aswell. He never had this kind of stuff. That's obviously the consequence of him switching to Spintwist Rec. ... they make him a website and a myspace while Sinn-Tec and Spirit Zone didn't. Ergo it's more commercially oriented. I know, prejudice, but I have it.

I've heard it couple of times and it's ok I guess. Nothing groundbreaking.

yeah, that's kinda what I think aswell, so I'm not impressed

I found his earlier stuff better ... up to Change Of Air it was really good ... well, at least what I've heard of it...

I actually like this album. If you have liked his last 2 albums you should like this one. The last song kicks ass. The album itself is nothing groundbreaking but it is good music. It's not outstanding, just good. A decent album.

If I might slightly hijack this thread to speak about their subsonic album... what do we think of it? From the 5 songs on youtube... it looks absolutely fantastic (it'd sound even better with cd quality audio... or even mp3 quality). I bought auricular after hearing the first of the songs on the vcd on youtube... and was a little dissapointed(best albums says discogs my ass). Some very nice stuff... but not all in your face or catchey... and not with that feeling with some of the songs... where the song has changed tons and its like wtf how did that happen?

I dunno it just feels like... Shiva Chandra is the only music that sounds remotely similar (and lives up to) the sound of IM-The gathering... if anyone could recomend some more artists like shiva chandra-subsonic or IM-The gathering then please go ahead. What happened to psy that isn't influenced by cheese (full on) or progressive?

If I might slightly hijack this thread to speak about their subsonic album... what do we think of it? From the 5 songs on youtube... it looks absolutely fantastic (it'd sound even better with cd quality audio... or even mp3 quality). I bought auricular after hearing the first of the songs on the vcd on youtube... and was a little dissapointed(best albums says discogs my ass). Some very nice stuff... but not all in your face or catchey... and not with that feeling with some of the songs... where the song has changed tons and its like wtf how did that happen?

Subsonic is actually very good! You should go get it if you can ... the Video CD is a nice bonus aswell.

I'm surprised you don't like the Auricular album though, that one is absolutely awesome.

And Symbol ... well, the samples continue to make a too unattractive impression on me. The only song that I somehow find more comparable to earlier stuff (and better than the rest) is Remote Controlled - on myspace they even got the full version up to listen :)

Return To Atlantis is okay aswell ... but the rest I heard didn't sound very attractive ... the album is clearly no candidate for the best of list from last year for me. Daniel used to do better. And it seems that quite some others got that opinion aswell.

I'd only pay for the two mentioned songs. They should release an EP with these on it (like they did with Subsonic!), maybe 12 Hours on it aswell, then I might eventually be persuaded to buy the piece.

it was in my last psyshop order,and yes it sounds alittel flat and boring compare to the older stuff.The whole album should be like the(Electric Instinct) track,then it will have been one of my favorit albums i think :posford: