Sennheiser HD280's

So I just purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD280's from my local Guitar Center and I must say, these things are bitching! The Bose Triports that I have had for over four years now were my first pair of serious headphones, and they have more or less tainted my ears. I'm sitting here mixing some music, and I don't need to take my headphones off at all (which is very convenient because these things are like wearing a helmet) because the sound is FLAT! I'm so freaking excited at my new discovery :lol:. Beat matching has become a hell of a lot easier, and faster; the difference is amazing.

That's interesting...i don't quite understand everything you're saying tho', sorry.

Is the HD280 a good choice for CD-DJ in your opinion?

I'm looking to upgrade my HD201 which are too weak to effectively use as a DJ.

I don't think they're necessarily better for vinyl or CD's, but they do sound pretty good. They don't sound quite as good as the Bose, but that's the thing, they sound like they should. The Bose had incredibly crisp highs, the mids were pretty round, and kicks sounded like more of a click than a thump but the HD280's (as far as i'm concerned) are incredible monitors and deliver the music in it's original form. When i'm mixing in my headphones, and then take my headphones off to listen to the next track through my speakers, theres very, very little difference in the music coming from my headphones and my speakers.

Yeah, those, the sonys, and the audio technica m50as are some very common headphones people use for production. Not perfect but still very good and accurate. Each kind has its slight weaknesses and for yours its that they slightly over emphasis the bass, meaning if you are mixing with these the bass will sound louder to you so you bump it down abit (or not boost it as much) so on other systems the bass will not be as loud, but this is a very small detail and you can make your ear learn around it so you can compensate for it.

Also a negative is sometimes headphones like this can make anything sound good, so don't trust them too much :P

I spent several years with the HD280s and really loved them, especially after Sony headphones. But no, I don't think they're appropriate for production/mixing because they're not entirely accurate. I always had to inflate my levels to get them to sound the best (but not as much as I had to with Sony, and I can't imagine how crappy Bose headphones are). They're best, I think, for home listening and for DJing. If you want headphones for production, you pretty much have to go with Beyerdynamic, AKG, or higher end Sennheiser. But for the price you pay, HD280pro is a lot of bang for the buck.

Yeah, enjoy these ones for now, they'll excite you for a long time - and when you feel you've heard all, the good news is they can get even better once you don't mind spending crazy sums of money :)

Tool-wise they are such a good investment when you come to think of it, as one listens to sound so much... or well, everyone here does :)