Tangerine Dream

Bahamut

I found an old record ( http://www.discogs.com/release/498220 ) in my dad's vinyl collection around 2 years ago, and I found that very good !

Encore is nice for live performances, but I think the sound is pretty weak even for that time.

The fragment I posted is from Ricochet (part II), which is made from live performances and later studio edits.

I actually have two Tangerine Dream vinyls ... bought them because I got curious from people's talks on here (there was already a thread about Tangerine Dream some longer time ago I remember) ... one is their Phaedra gatefold vinyl ... but I remember it being quite dull, I didn't like it. And the other one has an orange with a headphone cable plugged into it on the cover ... that one is great. It sounds like another band compared to Phaedra.

Can anybody explain me why they sound so different?

And can anybody recommend me more of them that doesn't sound like Phaedra?

one is their Phaedra gatefold vinyl ... but I remember it being quite dull, I didn't like it.

i found that i like Phaedra, Alpha Centauri and Rubycon better than the newer stuff, that i find less psychedelic and more commercial. anything after 1975 or from the years 75-80 should be what you're looking for.

took awhile to get going, but yeah that is the stuff, that's what i remember hearing and thinking this is where music is going.

UC Berkeley (college) radio used to have a show that played this and similar music.

MAN- what are some other tracks by these guys, there is another one with very similar falling keys sounds i used to have on a tape. wow, this is great, thanks

i found that i like Phaedra, Alpha Centauri and Rubycon better than the newer stuff, that i find less psychedelic and more commercial. anything after 1975 or from the years 75-80 should be what you're looking for.

somehow I think I really should listen again to Phaedra...

somehow I think I really should listen again to Phaedra...

You should. I think it's an awesome piece of work and Phaedra was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the topic.

Btw you guys who are into Tangerine Dream and want some more in that style, I can really recommend discovering

Klaus Schulze (especially "X" from 1978) and

Wendy Carlos (classical music gets a whole new dimension you wouldn't imagine when played all by synthezisers and don't miss her webside btw).

Older Vangelis albums are worth checking too

I can really recommend discovering Klaus Schulze (especially "X" from 1978)

Hehe, I own this masterpiece on 2x12" vinyl, gatefold!

A good album indeed :)

Tangerine Dream are pretty good, but I wouldnt call them the godfathers of electronic psy. Stockhausen did his stuff much earlier. And there were others before.

True, but Stockhausen and the whole Musique Concrete movement wasn't truly psychedelic, were they?

Tangerine Dream's founder, Edgar Froese studied with Salvador Dali in the late 60's and you can see his influence on their earliest recordings, but they came into their own when Christophe Franke started using his Moog sequencer as a proper instrument in the early 70's - that's when it all came together!

Sadly, their output started going downhill after about 1983 or thereabouts, when they went all digital and New Age. Anything between '74 & '82 should appeal to people here.

I've been a fan since '79 and my own favourite 'track' (a strange statement, as most of their tracks are the entire side of an album), is 'Cloudburst Flight', from 'Force Majeure' - stunning guitar solo. From their live work, Ricochet everytime!

Also, I was at both of the gigs at the Dominion in London that became their 'Logos' album, in 1982 - my ears were ringing for about three days afterwards! Good times! B->

Enjoy!

</cliff>

• 2 months later...