Trold - Time Of Illusion

Man With No Name

Review by Timetwister from Isratrance

Posted Image

Trold - Time of Illusion

My last review was of an album released by the guys from Glowing Flame records as well, and I was deeply impressed (VA - The Well of Enchanted Sounds). This time around it's an artist album that's being put under the microscope to see what's been cooking in the Glowing Flame labs. Trold (S.V. Skjoldal & B. Ophein) are no stranger to Glowing Flame, having released on the label before. What I've heard till now from these producers has been impressive to say the least, and get regular playback here. Enough with the chit-chat, on to the tracks....

1. The Big Secret

This is the most haunting astounding opening I've heard in a long time. This, dear people, is uber-hypnotic, spiralling, forest trance. A relentless bassline drives this haunting mist around trees, every one of which has a different story to tell. Acid weaves itself through the track, and starts flowing in all kinds of lovely directions, guiding you to a pure climax. The track gently puts you back down, ending this opening journey into what promises to be something quite different, but oh so special. I'm completely loving this.

2. Teasers.

And we're being dropped in an indian alley, blistering heat, musty smells and dust getting into every fiber of your clothing. The track takes a bit of a darker turn, with a wobbly bassline giving it a playful backbone. Effects start popping up here and there, creating a synergy, which drives the track to its first break, if one could call it that. The track makes it clear, teasers are over, the fun is getting started. Acid starts flowing under a bassline that somehow just turned a bit more menacing. After this first climax, the track folds into itself, taking a deep breath, and slowly getting ready to deliver the ultimate rush. Acid starts building again in the background, subtly accentuated by effects which weave a song of their own in the process. With a knowing grin the track slides into a break, teasing you to dare it to unleash its power. And it delivers. Mental 303's start polluting the ether with their poison, a relentless frenzied energy flowing out. And with a kiss and a wink farewell, the track opens the curtains for the third track. Goodness.

3. Tricky Reality

This one doesn't leave a whole lot of room for floaty intro's, but gets right down and dirty. A twisted atmosphere unfolds, somehow guiding you deeper and deeper in the track. The track slows down on itself, and decides on a new direction. Tricky reality indeed, for over time the track slowly manages to build right back to the twisted atmosphere found in the first part of the track. There's something boiling under the surface. A wild unyielding energy just wanting to get freed and released into the universe. And then a lovely run just pops up, 303's tingling the fringes of the cosmos, like tentacles reaching out into the unknown. The energy feeds into these tentacles over time, making them ever more intricate. And there's where the track starts to pick up the pace. The rhythms just take control, moving you onward, like a gust of wind in the back you just can't deny. It gets a bit darker, claustrofobic-like, after which the track manages its way back to the surface, like a nearly drowning man gasping for air. Impressive stuff.

4. Alchemy of the Sun

The word that comes to mind when hearing the opening, is 'metallic'. Until it takes off its mask when the first beat drops. Morning madness here. This will put a smile on your face. Totally psychedelic and still uplifting. And then a cello like string weaves it's carpet; a misty morning, dewdrops hanging from the grass and collecting in the cobwebs. This is mesmerising music, make no mistake. Then a subtle turn makes the track turn in a bit more focused direction. The dreamy elements evaporated, and the track has found a target: The dancefloor. I can see crowds go absolutely wild on this. Euphoria without ever getting anywhere near cheesy. It just keeps on building and building, and just when you thought the fun was over, you get slapped in the face with another dose of joy. This is pure morning brilliance!

5. Observer

The first half of the album has been nothing but astounding. the quality just drips from the speakers. Let's see if the quality is maintained on the second half. We're still in morning territory, and the intro puts me in mind of Space Tribe's earlier stuff. It takes a full 2 and a half minutes to get the track started, but the subtle droning bassline slides in ever so smoothly. And from there it's forward to the fireworks. Acid starts echoing through the backbone, claiming its place while hypnotising the listener. Some spoken samples give the track some room to find a new way to build up the hypnotism. And soon its off again. The build up here is just to die for. Every element gets its time to develop and move the track onwards. The percussive section, while already impressive by itself, truly is astoundingly used to give the track room to build itself to maturity. A break that shocks you out of your stupor comes from nowhere, seeming totally unrelated and out of place, which actually has its weird charm. The track takes on a bit of weirdness in the last half, with some experimentation with weird stopstarts, and somehow random spoken sampling. Pretty nifty track.

6.It's All About Cycles.

The first minutes are almost uncomfortable. A bassline that just won't get started humps along, leading us to the first true statement the track makes. Acid drops like a bomb, a 303 screeching its fury. Kicking stuff. The bassline finally comes to its senses and starts a furious run, supported by subtle acidic sounds. The track suddenly takes on a very goa-esque melody, after which the acid comes boiling up to drive this track to the next level, taking the old spirit of goa by the hand and helping it back on its pedestal. I guess the cycle has brought us back to the beautiful days of 96-99. The track weaves itself back to present day psychedelia. Acid is sprayed on the walls in a frenzy. Effects take over control to guide you back down, ending this magnificent track.

7. A Way Will Be Made

A nervous bassline doesn't waste time with playfullness and plunges you right in the middle of the track. If I'd had to put a label on it, I'd go for forest trance. Deeply psychedelic, hypnotic, but with just enough room to breathe. I'm a bit lost for words with this one. It simply doesn't really know how to grab me, but still I can't turn my attention away from it. Fascinating.

8. The Path

No chill-out to end this album. This is a four-to-the-floor stomper, building a murky atmosphere, but picking up some patches of light along the road, and kneeding it into an overwhelming monster of a tune. There's energy, with a bit of an aggressive undertone just feeding the track. The track is rather straightforward altogether. No discovering itself, no weaving ways to other levels. It lies down its cards flat on the table, and you know you just got beat by a Full House. Good Stuff.

So, how to sum this up? This is a magnificent artist album. There is not a single bad track to be found here. The first 4 tracks are simply stellar, along with the 6th. Five and eight are stompers as well, with the seventh track being a bit of an oddball, which in this case is not nescesarilly bad. Get this people. This is not for the weak of heart. This is not for raver-fluoro kids. This is for those who like their psy hypnotic, relentless, and unpretentious. This is pure craftsmanship. The highest accolade to Glowing Flame and Trold for bringing this piece of beauty into the world.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/gfr/gfr1cd008.html

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=6683

Can't belive this album hadn't reviewed here... IMO One of the bests albums in 2007...

Man I have wanted to review this album for a long time (but I haven't found the time :().

Just a brilliant album... my number one of '07 actually. And the reason for that is not only the good music, but it's ability to make me so bloody happy :D Just tickles my sonic nerves in the right way. :D

Nice building and story-telling music, forming sonic journeys of weaving and never-ending melodies. And the melodies really doesn't stop when they first take of (no corny break-downs and cheesy take-offs), they just continuously change like they were alive, I love it! Has very psychedelic impact on me! :rolleyes:

The only little things that annoy me is the long sample in The Observer (why?)... and (high) high-hat level in The Path... but thats only minor details.

So yeah fantastic music, brilliant production and lots of great ideas. Its sort of the best I have seen of old-time melodic meeting present more deep bass orientated music. A perfect blend of mesmerizing melodies and deep pounding bass-layers.

11/10 :wub:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Best full on album I've heard in years :clapping:

I mean there's TONS of good music outthere. But IMHO stuff like this should set a reference mark for full on music to come.

I love Goa but I think approach needs to be accompanied by an appreciation of todays norm (full on) or it misses out on todays headlines. Full on basslines can be invigorating and Goa isn't exclusively for the hippies. Tell me you can't dance to that bassline, hippy, or that those fx aren't trippy, full on youngster :rolleyes:

Trold is offering the hybrid. Full on bassline to hypnotize and provide a cool factor and fx to keep me interested. This is music with potential to move any dance floor and intelligence to entertain any psychedelic follower. If Koxbox walked among gods in 1995, Astrix was a big inspiration of mine in 2002 and Rabbit From Darkside became a reference mark in 2004 Time Of Illusion is officially my new ticket to psychedelia.

Damn, Glowing Flame Records has rapidly climbed high on my ladder of must-follow labels. Take a bow, Macedonia! This is good stuff.

• 3 months later...

This is the most awsome album i have ever heard, I am a big fan of goa and i thought i will be bit disappointed with this dark looking album BUT man has it proven me wrong this is totally brilliant , insatiable u just cant have enough of this hypnotic, mind blowing album u just want more and more . All tracks are killlargh......... the basline is just tooo gud and what to say about those 303's JUST Crazy. 11/10 :clapping: :wub:

Will be checking other glowing Flames releases if they are half as good as this Im in for a treat.

Best full on album I've heard in years :clapping:

I love this album. :)

But I would never say this is fullon.

Fullon and psytrance are different styles for me. And Trold is definitely psytrance with a big touch of goatrance, not fullon!

I love this album. :)

But I would never say this is fullon.

Fullon and psytrance are different styles for me. And Trold is definitely psytrance with a big touch of goatrance, not fullon!

Hey numbnut, read the rest of what was said :P The basslines sound pretty fullon to me ;)

Finally got some time to listen to this album, and my first verdict is that this sounds really solid! Track 4 cought my emediate attention, but all the tracks sounds great! As Droso and skeletonman all ready pointed out, this is powerful fullon basslines, with a fantastic mesmerizing ocean of "goa-ish" melodies... A perfect blend of oldschool melody structure and basslinedriven fullon... Can't wait to get to know this album a little better

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...