Starcade - The Birth and Death of Civilization by Acid Fire

Otto Matta

Hello. My, don't you look nice. That hat is very flattering on you. What is that, polyester? Please make yourself comfortable. Would you like something to drink? Whiskey on the rocks? Coming right up.

TORBJÖRN! NO, TORBJÖRN! GET DOWN! BAD TORBJÖRN! GO LAY DOWN! That's a good boy.

Sorry about that. Here's your whiskey. You know how dogs are. Oh, darn, did he rip your shirt? I'm so sorry. I'll pay for a new one. No, I insist. Will you take a check?

Why don't you sit down and listen to my new track while I write you out a check. Maybe you'll like it. It's inspired by the ancient Mayan concept of time being cyclical rather than linear, something that's been dominating my thoughts, and which I now wholeheartedly believe. I've also been inspired by a book I was reading recently called Godel, Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, as well as a book called Last and First Men, a novel about the distant future of mankind; also Plaid's soundtrack to an animated movie called Tekkon Kinkreet, and 70s synth music in general. It is also loosely based on what I call my "flash forwards", or experiences I have of a pretty grisly demise of human society by what appears to be some sort of nasty radiation. It's a tad conceptual, but I hope it's still at least satisfactorily listenable.

Aw, man, is Torbjörn humping your leg? TORBJÖRN! Stop humping that poor person's leg! If it's worth anything, Torbjörn doesn't hump just anyone's leg. I'd take it as a compliment.

Torbjörn doesn't hump my leg.

The recording is a 192kbps mp3. Sorry, that's all I've got at the moment. The .WAV is stored in a hermetically sealed vault surrounded by laser-activated explosives.

Here are some headphones. When you're ready, just press play. Hope you like it, and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

By the way, it seems the drums are particularly snappy in the mp3. A compression issue of some sort.

Hello. My, don't you look nice. That hat is very flattering on you. What is that, polyester? Please make yourself comfortable. Would you like something to drink? Whiskey on the rocks? Coming right up.

TORBJÖRN! NO, TORBJÖRN! GET DOWN! BAD TORBJÖRN! GO LAY DOWN! That's a good boy.

Sorry about that. Here's your whiskey. You know how dogs are. Oh, darn, did he rip your shirt? I'm so sorry. I'll pay for a new one. No, I insist. Will you take a check?

Why don't you sit down and listen to my new track while I write you out a check. Maybe you'll like it. It's inspired by the ancient Mayan concept of time being cyclical rather than linear, something that's been dominating my thoughts, and which I now wholeheartedly believe. I've also been inspired by a book I was reading recently called Godel, Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid, as well as a book called Last and First Men, a novel about the distant future of mankind; also Plaid's soundtrack to an animated movie called Tekkon Kinkreet, and 70s synth music in general. It is also loosely based on what I call my "flash forwards", or experiences I have of a pretty grisly demise of human society by what appears to be some sort of nasty radiation. It's a tad conceptual, but I hope it's still at least satisfactorily listenable.

Aw, man, is Torbjörn humping your leg? TORBJÖRN! Stop humping that poor person's leg! If it's worth anything, Torbjörn doesn't hump just anyone's leg. I'd take it as a compliment.

Torbjörn doesn't hump my leg.

The recording is a 192kbps mp3. Sorry, that's all I've got at the moment. The .WAV is stored in a hermetically sealed vault surrounded by laser-activated explosives.

Here are some headphones. When you're ready, just press play. Hope you like it, and look forward to hearing what you think of it.

By the way, it seems the drums are particularly snappy in the mp3. A compression issue of some sort.

:lol:

Damn your dawg! I accept checks, and its good that the music made up for the lousy treatment from your dog... GET A CAT! :lol: Anyways, Yeah it sounds really cool, I would even play this on a chill gig :) The sounds are really dreamy, the drums very idm'ish :) If you look for upcoming talent, then look no further, Automator is your man! :) (I mean Starcade aka Per oef coerse) :D

Otto, the sound you mentioned to me, from the impOSCar is that the one that comes in, in the first break? :)

What are you using to make the mp3? It seems that you have set it VBR with the wrong settings, therefor it might sound a bit weird. If you are using any other than Razorlame with Lame 3.97 send me a PM and I will prepare a small package for you for failsafe and GOOD encoding in VBR :)

Thanks, Nemo. You were right. I re-encoded it using L.A.M.E. VBR and it sounds better. Re-uploaded.

TORBJÖRN! Stop dragging your ass on the carpet! We have guests! Gosh, I'm sorry about that. It just means he likes you.

Yes, I think we're talking about the same impOSCar part. It's smack-dab in the middle.

Why does Torbjörn keep sniffing his butt when I ask him if he wants a treat?

Very cool track, Per. This has retro vibes written all over it. The chord changes are quite intelligent as they course between a haunting mood and a melancholic atmosphere. I do love that you made this track cyclical to resemble the Mayan concept of time. You can almost visualize folding this track and connecting the two ends :)

As far as sound quality goes, I have no issues with it except for clarity at the mid section. It could just be my stereo because my old receiver died. I'll listen on different systems and get back to you on it.

Again, truly excellent work, Per :) I'm very happy that the music continues to successfully flow.

Why does Torbjörn keep sniffing his butt when I ask him if he wants a treat?

:lol::lol:

Very cool track, Per. This has retro vibes written all over it. The chord changes are quite intelligent as they course between a haunting mood and a melancholic atmosphere. I do love that you made this track cyclical to resemble the Mayan concept of time. You can almost visualize folding this track and connecting the two ends :)

As far as sound quality goes, I have no issues with it except for clarity at the mid section. It could just be my stereo because my old receiver died. I'll listen on different systems and get back to you on it.

Again, truly excellent work, Per :) I'm very happy that the music continues to successfully flow.

Thanks for the feedback, Billy. I'm glad you like it. And yeah, I probably got lazy with the production, and the middle, where there's the most stuff going on, is probably suffering currently. I need to take the track for a spin on some different sound systems and see what it's doing. How I yearn for that day when I can write with monitors in a nice acoustic space.

+1

Thanks, Rotwang. :D

what?? i thought this thread had over 2 pages worth of praise by now.. where did it all go? did i dream it :wacko: (like where did colin's technical analysis go & where did your confession for love of melodies over a deep hiphop kick go °°) e. just noticed i mustve mixed the chandelier-thread with this one :P

perfectly lovely track btw.. it seems like only 3 minutes just 'coz it so damn good// needs to be 30 minutes at least!!!

what?? i thought this thread had over 2 pages worth of praise by now.. where did it all go? did i dream it :wacko: (like where did colin's technical analysis go & where did your confession for love of melodies over a deep hiphop kick go °°)

perfectly lovely track btw.. it seems like only 3 minutes just 'coz it so damn good// needs to be 30 minutes at least!!!

Thanks, man. You're talking about the last track, though - Chandelier - further on down the page. I just posted this two days ago.

I thought about expanding it, but since the second half is virtually a mirror of the first half, I felt it might be too much "been there heard that".

Hi Otto.

The others are right.It's so good!

You create an atmosphere fool of images. This called inspiration... :rolleyes:

Thanks, my fellow 35-year-old! :D

sounds awsome man, the only thing that anoy me there is the snare that is cut to pieces

Yeah, man, I think it would sound better if toned it (and the kick) down a bit. They honestly didn't sound so *snappy!* when I was mixing them, but they came out a little loud in the recording. Thanks, though. :D

May I notice Otto that you started to repeat yourself ? Soundwise I mean. The track is nice, I mind that sloppy transition between The Birth and Death part of the track. You could start using some different sounds, no offense, I quite like your retro touch, it just keeps repeating. Please don't get me wrong, you have a very inspiring mind, only you could use some variations in sounds. ;):D

May I notice Otto that you started to repeat yourself ? Soundwise I mean. The track is nice, I mind that sloppy transition between The Birth and Death part of the track. You could start using some different sounds, no offense, I quite like your retro touch, it just keeps repeating. Please don't get me wrong, you have a very inspiring mind, only you could use some variations in sounds. ;):D

Do you mean within this track, or from track to track? And do you mean sounds specifically, or the general tone of my music? Or both? I appreciate the feedback, man. The last thing I want to do is repeat myself too much. :D

Do you mean within this track, or from track to track? And do you mean sounds specifically, or the general tone of my music? Or both? I appreciate the feedback, man. The last thing I want to do is repeat myself too much. :D

I meant from track to track. You have started using too much of that analogue retro sounds. You have very good ideas, you just need diversity, that is all I am suggesting. There is that one specific sound, can't explain it right now, more like a 70's drone. :D