Music Making Storiez

And Acid just makes everything sound like it's inside your head and makes it more real than real itself could inject unto a human being, tehe.

What do I know? I have never used drugs. *ducks from all the oncoming BULLSHIT comments bwahaha*

:)

-d

p.s. I recommend buying a Mochika synthesizer if you're too lazy to play. I just picked one up, waiting for it to come. It's made in Peru. I love Alpaca's so why not support the local dudes who kill them and eat them, er wait, nevermind... stupid movies! :) Really, Look it up on youtube, they're pretty neat devices!

ok man ill check it out seens like something else, and i means its not only laziness or not wanting to play directly the melody on the keyboard, i am lot more a guitar player myself.... but the idea and the sounds coming out from artificial inteligence , and creatiing this outter world riffs and leads id never could do by playing with my fingers on the keyboard.is great . is kinda the electronic beats and percussions sound so wicked differrent than live drumming and not so much becasuse of the sounds itself but on the 4 note polyphony restriction for real drrummers.

but that doesnt mean i wont play anymore, or even learn the most i can every now and them, but right now i can combine as many methods to get the track kill right now, cause thats only thing i want

allso lsd is good for choosing all ur sounds for track.. and weed is a great tool for mastering :lol:

Yes, I agree, it is true that in most cases a person can't be seriously involved with other things if one wants to make serious music. A small minority of people can do it, but as far as I'm concerned the average person is like a pie-chart of achievement. The bigger the slice (amount of focus), the higher will be the quality of that slice. A relationship or school or a high-impact job will cut the music slice dramatically.

Yes, that is exactly what I experience.

No regrets though, maybe I'll find the time when the kids grow older and/or I got promoted, so won't have to work that much ;):D

I once got up at like 10am, started working on a track, and by the time I was satisfied it was like 10pm, I hadn't eaten, drank any coffee or anything. I could swear it was only like 2 hours I was working on it... A whole lost day, but gained a track! This was back when I was trying to make something akin to fullon, so it ended up being a mellow morning smokin' track.

I finish something like 1/20 or so tracks I start, or probably much less. Same as Antic and probably many others I have alot of 'noname_XXX' tracks.. way too many. When I sit down to create something I always get completly engulfed in what I'm doing and usually spend 8 hours or more without interuption. My problem is that if the track I'm working on is too simple I easily get very very bored of it the next time I'm working on it, or actually if the track doesn't have the right atmosphere and shitloads of layers of sound in it at this point, it is not probable that I'll finish it at all (a friend wants us to make some house tracks for example, but it's completly impossible for me to do that even though I really like minimal psy, house and techno)

I usally make 1-2 minute of a track before I get bored of it or on occasion - have something I like. So most of my finished tracks usally have way too much going on at the same time in terms of layers of sound, concerning basslines and melodies it's pretty monotonous stuff, anyway - easy for me to discern ofcourse because I creatied it, but other people mostly have a hard time discerning diffrent sounds. Plus I have a thing or two (alot actually) to learn about mixing and equing aswell, wich can get really messy when you're trying to make this style.

I can't stop being impressed with the ideas I had back then (I can send you the tunes, if you like), the sheer creativity and the effects I was able to achieve with such simple means etc. Now I know too much, which in turns makes me so restricted and my music too formulaic. It's not a conscious thing, but somewhere deep inside I lost the sense of fun in music making - it was experimenting all the way back then, now it turned to 'producing'. Therefore nothing really interesting ever comes out of it...

I can partially agree with this, I've too stopped most of my experimenting and therefor lost some of the fun in music making, and it's getting way too formulaic than to my liking. There's an endless amount of choices to make and that makes you stick to some kind of formula, even though it can be a quiet unique one wich gives you a distinct sound that's far from the masses, I miss being more experimental. I really need to break this pattern. I've thought for a while now about getting an accustic instrument, and I will as soon as I can afford and focus on learning to play that for a while, havn't decided wich one yet. Perhaps something simple like an ukelele, I just feel an insatiable need to express myself musically, at the moment I'm not doing that at the level wich I used too.

I once got up at like 10am, started working on a track, and by the time I was satisfied it was like 10pm, I hadn't eaten, drank any coffee or anything. I could swear it was only like 2 hours I was working on it... A whole lost day, but gained a track! This was back when I was trying to make something akin to fullon, so it ended up being a mellow morning smokin' track.

Hehe yeah happens every now and then. I'm really thankfull for having this strong passion for music. Well I guess it's the same with everyone on this forum :)

Yeah, I love when that happens too... I like to wake up from this flow-experience, where time ceases to exist, and I don't think of anything in terms of "I". It is as if my self is also not present. Then to wake up, and find my self freezing, hungry as hell, and *really* having to go to the loo. Good good double good :)

- Andreas

I can totally agree, that Ive lost a lot of the experimentation, my old stuff was so varied, some of it was like hard crashing mechanoid techno, some really cheesy, sometimes just odd... Nowadays its odd, and mechanoidal, but thats the way I intend it, rather than happening on the sounds through random experimentation. Sometimes, though, Ill break outside the box and make some crazy chill-breaks track, or a Kino Oko-ish weirdo-tech track, or just go crazy...

One of the first tracks I ever made, I was like 17 using Impulse Tracker. I had recorded a buddy of mine saying 'Die' using the basic Windows sound recorder, then reversed it. Used that as the main... Umm... Rhythm-designator I guess, not really a beat... Then I looped him laughing over it. Ahahah-hahahA with Eid! Eid! Just thought I'd share one of the weird things I've tried...

Before I really understood psytrance, to make a bass, I'd take a sweep or something and, using Modplug Tracker, manually enter 00/64/00/64 in the volume, basically a ghetto gate. Sounded alright, but nothing like psytrance... Listening to my old tracks, they all seem to be techno rather than trance despite the fact that I was really, really trying to make trance... But I didn't really have the understanding of psytrance and electronic music production that I do now.

Looking back, I believe that since 1998, I've spent at least a good year of that time just sitting at the computer messing around with music. And I'd not trade it for anything!

Seems pretty clear to me that in order to stay fresh, one can't lose sight of playful experimentation. Seems once one loses that, the music becomes sterile to the listener and probably not as fulfilling to the writer. But it's a struggle, though, because, I think, it's ultimately harder to stay naive and childlike than to be knowledged and technical. It's easier, for instance, to use a great preset than to program your own sound by twiddling a bunch of buttons at whim, the former being relatively unfulfilling, the latter being a royal pain in the ass sometimes. But what part of one's musical identity is one willing to trade off, is the question. And that gets into a whole lot of psychological and emotional and experiential issues.

Well, I did it again... I just spent the last 5 hours making a track. Its now 5am.

Not only that but its a sound I haven't explored in a long while... Sorta night full-on type sound, think early Shift... Inspired by the Ohmu music in Miyazaki's "Nausicaa". Sounds good, maybe I ought to share it... I got the melody pretty spot on I think...