Making your bassline thump

Creating bass with FM

SOS (Sound On Sound) Secrets database

Chord House (piano chords, etc, etc)

Psytrance And Spirituality of Electronics

Secrets and tips on trance music production

Work Flow Methods

Equipment and Music Creation

A lot of these sites are a bit outdated but they have some pretty good information in them to get you thinking. I'm still pretty amature when it comes to all aspects of music production, etc., etc. but I think it is safe to say that your best bet is to just go download some programs (yes download) and start experimenting. Software is a lot more powerful than hardware.... My two cents. Read, read, read, read too. Don't buy any equipment at all; it's not going to make you sound any better and after a few months you might not enjoy creating music as much as you used to. Don't want to be stuck with serious gear that won't sell back for nearly as much as you bought it for in most cases. If you do decide to buy something, research the SHIT out of it first and buy from someplace where, if the product isn't what you thought it was going to be, you can return it for full cash back....

Making your bassline thump

Creating bass with FM

SOS (Sound On Sound) Secrets database

Chord House (piano chords, etc, etc)

Psytrance And Spirituality of Electronics

Secrets and tips on trance music production

Work Flow Methods

Equipment and Music Creation

A lot of these sites are a bit outdated but they have some pretty good information in them to get you thinking. I'm still pretty amature when it comes to all aspects of music production, etc., etc. but I think it is safe to say that your best bet is to just go download some programs (yes download) and start experimenting. Software is a lot more powerful than hardware.... My two cents. Read, read, read, read too. Don't buy any equipment at all; it's not going to make you sound any better and after a few months you might not enjoy creating music as much as you used to. Don't want to be stuck with serious gear that won't sell back for nearly as much as you bought it for in most cases. If you do decide to buy something, research the SHIT out of it first and buy from someplace where, if the product isn't what you thought it was going to be, you can return it for full cash back....

Thanks for posting those TRohr :)

And while I disagree with what you say about software being more powerful than hardware ;), I do agree that starting out with software is a good idea to see if you're willing to stick with the fighting with yourself, arguing over patterns, arrangements, and sounds....and getting to where you want to be. If you never make it where you want to be, but you enjoy listening to _fill in the blank's_ music, than maybe it's time to move on and just keep being that, a listener, but one must decide for themselves.

In my experience, I started with Reason. I didn't do psy, I just did strange wacky ambient non-musical scores that would had melted everybody elses ears. I like strange noises :) but after seeing Godford [haha, I don't even know why I call him that, thanks PAVEL and the likes sheesh! :)] live, I had to buy hardware and since then I find myself becoming more sophisticated in sound design and getting way more of what I like to hear in the sound than before.

Remember, sound preference is a big thing. Everybody thinks they have the best choice. They're all good and I even bought my first digital synth [excited to receive it [well, i actually bought two digital synths :)]]. A computer and a virtual analog will never emulate analog [why emulate? It either is or isn't] and a virtual computer compressor will give you way more horrid results than a real hardware compressor and and and....visit gearslutz.com for all your testing needs from one product to the next. There are people there with 40-60 years plus of industry experience [pro] who do a lot of tests with equipment, software, etcetera and posts the results for everybody to examine. Many times, people are stumped....and I'll stop defending hardware now :) sorry!

<- devious is a hardware aficionado if it has not become obvious yet :-D

-d

P.S. More of anything won't make you better either. Start out with one sequencer, one synth vst and one drum machine vst. I know nothing about vsts, but I assume like hardware, this could be a good start. Learn the synth vst completely through. Understand synthesis....and just have fun. Add on after you master one. If I followed my own advice....well, I wouldn't endlessly be poor :)

A computer and a virtual analog will never emulate analog [why emulate? It either is or isn't] and a virtual computer compressor will give you way more horrid results than a real hardware compressor and and and....visit gearslutz.com for all your testing needs from one product to the next. There are people there with 40-60 years plus of industry experience [pro] who do a lot of tests with equipment, software, etcetera and posts the results for everybody to examine. Many times, people are stumped....and I'll stop defending hardware now :) sorry!

In your opinion.

and a virtual computer compressor will give you way more horrid results than a real hardware compressor

Usually, this is true. But have you used UAD-1 plugins? I've got the 1176LN and LA-2A plugins, and they sound damn good. Of course, it's been ten years since I used a real 1176, and I've never even seen an LA-2A in real life, but they still sound damn good.

I keep seeing this thread, and every time I have an urge to post some very silly and ridiculous crap as "tips to produce psytrance". But so far I have restrained myself because I know the poster is only looking for some help. But every time I see a thread asking for very general advice, regardless of the context, my mind immediately goes down the "Turn yourself around three times while balancing a baked turkey on your head, then sing "Amazing Grace" with carrots up your nose" road.

• 2 years later...