Ticon - 2AM

Goa Bill

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album is awesome. Quite possibly my favourite from Ticon so far, if not then definately on a par with zero six after. Lots of variety in here which is what I love about it, with elements of prog trance, electro, electro-house, minimal etc, all done with that classic Ticon sound that we've known to love since the release of zero six after. Oh and the only thing to add, is OH MY GOD DOES THIS ALBUM MAKE ME WANT TO DANCE!! :posford:

Favourites:

1, 3(!!), 4, 7 (! these two are soooo funky), 8

9/10 from me :D

+1

Is this album creeping up on you?

My expectations for 2am weren’t huge. In fact it took me two months to order! Here from psynews I’d heard Ticon desribed as having gone complete haywire commercial electro house. Have they sold out?

Still, the opener 1987 suited me freaking good. Electro House? Uh, maybe, but, damn, it’s freaking rocking! And follow up Zebra Beat’s got a pretty strong catchiness to it too! I mean, what the fuck. If that is what is getting bashed I’m still glad I bought the album. The groove is wonderful. The sections without vocals are my favorite parts but in between daft vocals it’s pretty strong. The coming single (?) Models On Cocaine unleashes its’ power. Wizzy Noise full on founded it has a Shakespeare speech in vocode mode going on. Motherfucking goat, you are testing me! Could this be the Ticon addition that has psytrance circles bashing this album. Those vocals certainly ensures that that these tracks never go *all the way up there* but they weren’t that bad either. But could it be going downhill from here?

Weekend Warriors next. What?! This aint electro House, ladies and gentlemen. And this ain’t full on either. That was shere listening enjoyment. 5/5.

This is where the creepy part comes up. Spitfire is pretty electro house. What Trentemøller's club music could be if dared going further. You could call this hard electro house but you cann’t call it 23pm mainstream! In The Box takes over.

Oh, this is where the Electro House goes haywire. WTF are those vocals doing?! Are we setting ourselves up for a Kylie Minogue remix job? Which makes this track difficult. The parts without vocals are corny as a fucker but the parts with vocals challenges me like a motherfucker! An who gave Ticon the idea to put Filip Mårdberg on on We’re Shining?

At this point I’m thinking this album could go either way. There’s been some great tracks but is it still a let down? Rest assured 2am give me faith. The vocals are off and it’s a long chiller. Closing track Less Is More takes over and you get the best of what made Ticon Ticon from early on. The surfing full on bass from Zero Six After, the hard line from Aero, the spine from Rewind. Ticon almost end up biting off more than they can chew. After a 3 minutes killargh entry they leave you with Sash advanced and you’re thinking I wanna be a little bit more tough than that. California reefer anyone? Fuck it, count me in. Sure, they’re as close to German hard core without leather pants as you can get but the deep parts can take me for a ride when I let them :rolleyes:

Alas, with the last two minutes of Less Is More sending me out I need to reach my verdict. Is this a new Aero? No. Is this recommended? Yes. Hell, yes! There’s hoops of good songs. Sure, Ticon is more crowd-pleased than they have ever been but that ain’t bad now and then either. I’m a fan of Ticon and I’m still with them. They have been meaner. Much meaner. But they’re a happy acquiantance and if they let out the vocals next time I’m with them all the way. 4/5.

HAhaha :D the return of Michelle Adamson, Queen Whore of Psytrance! :clapping:

"Some people get a dog, or a cat, or a horse... or a froooooooogggg, I just want my little mouse In The Box!

Classy :)

I do like this album, even if it sounds like a pale version of D-Nox and Beckers' Left Behind... especially Spitfire (one of my favorites on this album, actually).

7/10. Nothing I'll remember in a few years from now, but it's nice listening to it - right now.

HAhaha :D the return of Michelle Adamson, Queen Whore of Psytrance! :clapping:

"Some people get a dog, or a cat, or a horse... or a froooooooogggg, I just want my little mouse In The Box!

Classy :)

I do like this album, even if it sounds like a pale version of D-Nox and Beckers' Left Behind... especially Spitfire (one of my favorites on this album, actually).

7/10. Nothing I'll remember in a few years from now, but it's nice listening to it - right now.

I tried hard to concentrate on something else while she was singing. Those are the lyrics for real :huh::ph34r:

Muthafuga, this almost affects my appreciation of the tracks I do like! Could we ask for a brain or two to the musicians please!!?

Wtf were they thinking!?!?

Well, like some one else noted. In The Box is far and away the worst track EVAAARGH by Ticon.

good production. as expected.

nice clubby stuff pretty much.

hooooooweeeever...

less is more has become one of my favourites of this year. so far. :)

i would buy this on 2x12" just for that track. but its not on vinyl :(

• 2 weeks later...

So many different opinions on this one, hm... Well i decided to listen to it properly for myself alone and with my friends (whose tastes differ from heavy metal and hard-psy-trance to ambient and pop).

When i was listening alone first impression was very positive - from the very first track it went great with smooth melody and nice electroey rhythms to some really funky house tunes. Well i was pleased and i liked it a lot. This album is quality from start to finish.

When i was listening with my friends - one of them (who is a big fan of Tryambaka and compilations from Yabai records) said that it's pure crap and absolutely boring, the other one who is actually electro-house Dj in a local club said this was the best electro album of 2008 and grabbed it with him, others were really without any opinion but constantly moved their heads and feet :P

And so it was like yeah - "2AM" by Ticon is trully brilliant in its own field.

So many different opinions on this one, hm... Well i decided to listen to it properly for myself alone and with my friends (whose tastes differ from heavy metal and hard-psy-trance to ambient and pop).

People not liking this, is the same people who said psytrance died in 94.. Not that this is very psychedelic, or even IS IT AT ALL, but it is damn good electronic music... But if it doesn't sound like hallucinogen it cant be good right? ;)

And the in a box lyrics: I think they are nice.. Just makes no sence, it's obviously just a joke! So don't take it serious!!

People not liking this, is the same people who said psytrance died in 94.. Not that this is very psychedelic, or even IS IT AT ALL, but it is damn good electronic music... But if it doesn't sound like hallucinogen it cant be good right? ;)

And the in a box lyrics: I think they are nice.. Just makes no sence, it's obviously just a joke! So don't take it serious!!

100% agree with you

If it's not psychedelic anymore, then psytrance is dead.

When i was listening alone first impression was very positive - from the very first track it went great with smooth melody and nice electroey rhythms to some really funky house tunes. Well i was pleased and i liked it a lot. This album is quality from start to finish.

When i was listening with my friends - one of them (who is a big fan of Tryambaka and compilations from Yabai records) said that it's pure crap and absolutely boring, the other one who is actually electro-house Dj in a local club said this was the best electro album of 2008 and grabbed it with him, others were really without any opinion but constantly moved their heads and feet :P

And so it was like yeah - "2AM" by Ticon is trully brilliant in its own field.

Conclusion? The friend who likies Yabai records has a bad taste.

Conclusion? The friend who likies Yabai records has a bad taste.

Not really Pavel. The friend who likies Yabai records actually has a very good taste in music (i've learned a lot from him) - i wanted to say that guys who are more into Psy seem unobjective about any other genre - especially ELECTRO (which seems too cheezy for their taste)

Not really Pavel. The friend who likies Yabai records actually has a very good taste in music (i've learned a lot from him) - i wanted to say that guys who are more into Psy seem unobjective about any other genre - especially ELECTRO (which seems too cheezy for their taste)

goatrance is most of the time more cheesy then electro, way more emo and shit

and goatrance isn't that psychedelic, it is psychedelic but there is way more psychedelic music out there: darkpsy, breakcore and minimal for example

and goatrance isn't that psychedelic, it is psychedelic but there is way more psychedelic music out there: darkpsy, breakcore and minimal for example

+1

you obviously got to wrong forum, didn't you?

you obviously got to wrong forum, didn't you?

before answering your question i'l tell you why I think goatrance isn't THAT psychedelic..

first of all goatrance focusses mainly on melody and not on weird noises, glitchy passages and crazy soundscapes..

the most used modifying effects are cutoff and resonance automatios on the synths and besides that also some phasers of flangers.. these are psychedelic for sure

besides that the melody's are often in different layers, so this can be hard to follow which also make it psychedelic.

and off course the music itself is very entrancing and hypnotic which also makes it extra psychedelic.

so my conclusion is goatrance is psychedelic, BUUUUUUT:

darkpsy like Furious, Quasar, Kindzadza, Psykovsky and many more is just more based on surrealistic sounds, very confusing passages, melting sounds, deep timestretches and pitched and FM noises, which makes it very hard to follow and is crazier on psychedelic drugs than (most) goatrance

Breakcore is just very fucked up but intelligent blen of hardcore, jungle and many more.. this is very mendbending music which is hard to understand at a first listen and can easily overwhelm you if listened to at an acid trip..

Minimal (for example Extrawelt) also has a way deeper and more noised and crazy sound than goatrance, but here it can vary a lot.. for example Electric Voodoo Man from ubar Tmar is way more psychedelic than most Minilogue songs.. but for the minimal sound can get very deep and twisted

just test it on some psychedelics baby and you might get suprised

before answering your question i'l tell you why I think goatrance isn't THAT psychedelic..

first of all goatrance focusses mainly on melody and not on weird noises, glitchy passages and crazy soundscapes..

the most used modifying effects are cutoff and resonance automatios on the synths and besides that also some phasers of flangers.. these are psychedelic for sure

besides that the melody's are often in different layers, so this can be hard to follow which also make it psychedelic.

and off course the music itself is very entrancing and hypnotic which also makes it extra psychedelic.

so my conclusion is goatrance is psychedelic, BUUUUUUT:

darkpsy like Furious, Quasar, Kindzadza, Psykovsky and many more is just more based on surrealistic sounds, very confusing passages, melting sounds, deep timestretches and pitched and FM noises, which makes it very hard to follow and is crazier on psychedelic drugs than (most) goatrance

Breakcore is just very fucked up but intelligent blen of hardcore, jungle and many more.. this is very mendbending music which is hard to understand at a first listen and can easily overwhelm you if listened to at an acid trip..

Minimal (for example Extrawelt) also has a way deeper and more noised and crazy sound than goatrance, but here it can vary a lot.. for example Electric Voodoo Man from ubar Tmar is way more psychedelic than most Minilogue songs.. but for the minimal sound can get very deep and twisted

just test it on some psychedelics baby and you might get suprised

Bla bla bla bla bla

Shut up.

No you can't define psychedelic so easily, betch.

+1

Jeller,

When you say things like "cutoff and resonance (..) and (..) some phasers of flangers (...) are psychedelic for sure" then you are generalizing way too much for your arguments to be meaningful at all.

What you're saying is basically that you like darkpsy better, and that's fine, but trying to define it in terms of which is more psychedelic is an excercise in futility, since the level of psychedelic-ness in a piece of music is highly subjective. I mean, if person has been listening to nothing but the weirdest breakcore for all of his life, then it will not be very psychedelic to him since it is so very familiar to him, and that person might find instead Britney Spears to be very psychedelic since he has never heard anything like it before. :P

To keep on topic,

I think Ticon - 2AM sounds very good production-wise, and some of the tracks are very nice indeed. They really managed to get a solid "minimal psytechno/progressive psyhouse" (or whatever we may call it) style going, so if you like that style you will most likely like this a lot. So in those terms, good job Ticon!

For my taste, however, I think it almost follows the already well-established "minimal psytechno/progressive psyhouse" formula and clichés a bit too closely to be very interesting in the end. Mostly I really don't like the vocals that dominate several of the tracks, had it not been for them it could have been much better IMHO.

In short, it's a well made album that is not really my cup of tea, but if you like this kinda style and can stand the vocals then you may very well love it.

PS - When I want to listen to minimal psytechno I definitely prefer No Loose Ends. ^_^

+1

Jeller,

When you say things like "cutoff and resonance (..) and (..) some phasers of flangers (...) are psychedelic for sure" then you are generalizing way too much for your arguments to be meaningful at all.

What you're saying is basically that you like darkpsy better, and that's fine, but trying to define it in terms of which is more psychedelic is an excercise in futility, since the level of psychedelic-ness in a piece of music is highly subjective. I mean, if person has been listening to nothing but the weirdest breakcore for all of his life, then it will not be very psychedelic to him since it is so very familiar to him, and that person might find instead Britney Spears to be very psychedelic since he has never heard anything like it before. :P

Thank you tamlin :)

+1

Jeller,

To keep on topic,

I think Ticon - 2AM sounds very good production-wise, and some of the tracks are very nice indeed. They really managed to get a solid "minimal psytechno/progressive psyhouse" (or whatever we may call it) style going, so if you like that style you will most likely like this a lot. So in those terms, good job Ticon!

For my taste, however, I think it almost follows the already well-established "minimal psytechno/progressive psyhouse" formula and clichés a bit too closely to be very interesting in the end. Mostly I really don't like the vocals that dominate several of the tracks, had it not been for them it could have been much better IMHO.

In short, it's a well made album that is not really my cup of tea, but if you like this kinda style and can stand the vocals then you may very well love it.

PS - When I want to listen to minimal psytechno I definitely prefer No Loose Ends. ^_^

now this is a decent reply ;)

It is not really true I like darkpsy better.. I really enjoy old school too, but I consider it more as beautiful or entrancing then being really psychedelic. Darkpsy is more psychedelic too me.. I even consider breakcore to be more psychedelic than old school, but i prefer listening to goatrance because it is more easy-listening..

But I agree on you that you can't describe what is psychedelic. Well you can for your own and then it is still hard.. but the easiest way to test what is most psychedelic is what sounds the most mindbending or crazy on psychedelic drugs. This still doesn't mean it must sound better in your ears, because this is a matter of taste.

for example a simple piano melody will sound better and feel better than some highly flanged and glitched noise, but the noise is more psy ;)

w/e this is just my vision on psychedelic music and I respect your vision too tamlin..

and to remain ontopic: I think Ticon is nice as music, but not as psytrance, although it has some psychedelic songs (Spitfire!!), but for real psytrance it is too much based on vocals.

but shut up ga2pir, you're comments here are useless and "betch" is written "bitch"

but shut up ga2pir, you're comments here are useless and "betch" is written "bitch"

I like to keep it short, and I don't like to have to be pedagogic with you, as if you were a small child. I'm sure anyone here could understand what I meant by "No you can't define psychedelic so easily, betch". Now if this was aimed at some little kid with barely no brain at all, then I would for sure have explained it more carefully, given examples etc (as tamlin was kind enough to do for you).

In a similar way, your whole first post can be summarized as follows: "Hello, my name is Jeller and I think that noise and other weird sounds are psychedelic, and that melodies and hypnotic structure are not as psychedelic". This would have been preferred since it doesn't take as many seconds to read.

ooh you are that kind of forum boy.. to make it more easy for your summarisation

Hello, my name is Jeller and I think that songs with well excecuted modified noises, screeched, pitched and other weird sounds are more psychedelic than goatrance melodies and that old school beats work hypnotic because of their bpm and that's what makes goatrance still pretty psychedelic

by the way suomisaundi is the most psychedelic trance music..

this baby got crazy melodies, weird noises, glitches, funkyness, entrancing and hypnotic structure and much more!!

at the end music is maths and so is psychedelic music, so it would be possible to describe it

well, i think personaly that one should look to history and reference as to define what psychedelic means, because it's the best way to find some common ground in language to describe something. lik

First of all, when do we express "wow thats psychedelic!"?

i find alot of people do it in a very intellectual air, rather than in the midst of something and just blindly going "Gah! incredible!" to some kindof experience, (wether say N2o+LSD or any other type of experience, or reaction to words expressed or whatever... ) and that makes it for me basicaly a halftruth, since it doesn't include the awe-type expression that comes from say an ecstatic experience. (which i would rather put my faith in).

Most of the time i venture into this thought (which i do frequently because well, it's a reocurring word)

i realize that it's basicaly inane going beyond any point that aligns itself with common ground again.

Which for me the term Psychedelic has done. Psychedelic to me used to be very easy to define. yet it became wider and wider.

and now, it's pretty much aligned with the word "Good".

So anything i like, wether it's hiphop, psytrance, classical music, spoken word, written word, food or whatever, is stuff that pinpoints me to something that i would like to call (just to confuse things further i guess) Natural.

which is, what i hopefully am, like you are... (natural being broardly used like, on this planet, it's natural that water stays on the ground because we have gravitation etc)

so anything that I think is natural seems to coincide with my own geometry, my vehicle of experience. my mindset, my emotions, my ongoing thoughts about this or that, and my opinions etc.

and thats Usualy stuff based on fibonacci, exponential, logarithmic curves. (Just a little discovery i made for myself over the years of making music and studying geometry).

And you find that sortof stuff everywhere, in alot of diffrent areas within Alot of diffrent genres. not just psytrance. and not just in filterdesign, but also in rythms, mixing skills, heck, even mastering.

If one could define and easily get Psychedelic down as something Technical, it's still just one part of the story.

I bet everyone's heard that "virtual barber" thing in headphones, would you call that psychedelic? because it's recorded and simulates and includes things like positioning of ears, milliseconds and phaseshiftings of the head?

I think we've just gone half the way of explaining Psychedelic once we've established a common technical ground. if that's even possible.

i Honestly think psychedelic is a very noisy term, it lacks any focus similiar to a Tone, making it very hard to distinguish, since the entire experience of anything, psychedelic or no, is subjective.

In any case, i think it's good that we're sharing eachothers perspectives on what Psychedelic is, as a means to intersubjectivly incorporate other peoples perspectives into our own, and in that way Grow.

it's just my way of saying this is pointless, and yet, it's not REALLY pointless.

In order to take this further, id like to point out my experience of moments that coins the word Psychedelic for me, and i find that psychedelic is alot about perspectives, in much the same way as a sense of humour. and i belive that one's perception of Psychedelic is inherent and associated with ones development in various parts in your life, say moral, linguistic, logic reasoning, emotional etc etc.

and that while you grow in these various parts of your life, you in a sense Change in what you deem psychedelic, but you don't entirely leave off your thoughts or associations, rather there's an including of the previous opinions and viewpoints into a new one. I belive much of this is what is going on with musicians today, in harmony with stuff like mainstream and perhaps "collective conciousnes" ie, they care about more than just the music, it's now become a product in a much wider sense, and they're making a beautiful product. there's alot of effort put into alot of things, and a highly democratic way of working for alot of good artists (ie mixing is balanced and even ~democratic) and i bet you they think about what people want and try to be as determined towards an intrest group as they possibly can without ignoring their own tastes, if they indeed have any at the time of making. I know i think about, well, basicaly Everything when i make music, there's problely nothing left out in the making.

And naturaly it's harder for others to understand other peoples viewpoints. I think it's rather fun to try to understand as much as possible about other people and how they view the world, especially how they listen to music. And i don't really see any hierarchical system of viewpoints as in a bottom to top sortof deal, rather it's a grid of diffrent dots, where all dots are connected to eachother. It seems possible to go from "on the one hand" to "on the other hand" quite easily where ever you're at. And virtualy Anything can be viewed as psychedelic depending on how you look at things, what type of context you bring into the experience or moment of audio consumation.

I'd like to draw metaphors between "psychedelic" and "grammar" as in that it's not necessarily in the content, the information, but how it's conveyed. and i don't mean the mixing or mastering, but the actual geometry within you, and your attitude towards whatever faces your senses, how it's delivered through you. and wether or not you're in the setting of being affected or not. All these things matter. there's no common ground in subjective stuff like this, which means there's no reason to argue. besides. from atleast a couple of viewpoints (ie, hippiepoint for instance) Arguing is quite unpsychedelic.

So, well. that's talking beside the subject.

I like ticons album, but i think i already mentioned that earlier in the thread.