Ticon - 2AM

Goa Bill

Another big mistake... I though to check this one out together with Solar Fields - Earthshine... Just to have a look where progressive is going these days, as everyone was talking about it as if it was pure gold...

Unfortunately I can not say I like this at all, it is pure minimal electro with house influences... not even worthy to be on a psychedelic trance forum... It is just because they used to make this kind of music, but today, they grew to something totally different, something I dislike with a passion...

not 1 single track I liked :(

it has not much to do with psytrance indeed, but sometimes it is still psychedelic although it is commercial..

Ticon makes more accesible and easy listening music now but I still think this album has some nice tracks (except the first one is really yuck, that is just gay cheese)

so it is true that this isn't trance anymore but at least to kept some integrity and that's not what you can say about Infected Mushroom and Skazi..

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This shouldn't be at all the grounds on which we listen to an artist... "atleast they are not infected mushroom / skazi" :lol:

hmm I just made the comparison because they started using more vocals and commercial elements in this one..

besides other artists like neelix and cafe del mariachi did electro/minimal like things

Guys, if you wish to DISCUSS the album, or just tell them "fuck off" then do that in another thread. I am disappointed to see that picture from fosku, thats really not on. Its deeply disturbing how much disrespect some of you show. If you wish to bash ticon, then do it on another forum or in another THREAD, but not THIS ONE!

This is certainly not psy-trance, which really would not matter if it was a worthy release. It isn't. Only in our semi-amateur world could something like this get out and avoid universal condemnation. Their previous CD was quite better - it had three tracks which I really did enjoy. In fact, I think one word from the title of their last CD ("Zero") cam be applied to 2 AM.

Certainly not recommended.

Pedro

Guys, if you wish to DISCUSS the album, or just tell them "fuck off" then do that in another thread. I am disappointed to see that picture from fosku, thats really not on. Its deeply disturbing how much disrespect some of you show. If you wish to bash ticon, then do it on another forum or in another THREAD, but not THIS ONE!

I put that picture there partly to cause some stir, and partly because I really felt like that. This was a really bad album in my opinion, in every sense, so I don't think I should put anything else than a pic like that to express my opinion. And I hope that everyone knows that I have an extremely wide musical taste, varying from folk, country rock, pop, reggae and to psytrance. But this album was so mindnumbingly lame that it didn't hit any part of my musical taste.

And I'm sorry Nemo, I know you are really a very objective person and all, but the way you wrote gives the idea that no bad words for Ticon are allowed in this topic. I thought that the point of having a review topic is to have all kinds of opinions.

Sorry if I offended someone :)

But nothing changes the fact that this album was a foul, uninspired pile of crap.

In fact, I think one word from the title of their last CD ("Zero") cam be applied to 2 AM.

Certainly not recommended.

Pedro

Seconded .. it grows worse with each listen.

For people that are supposed to be oh so PLUR, you sure are at this very moment. I don't mean that you can not have an opinion about this, I mean its the WAY you have an opinion. I can remember when I had a very strong DISLIKING opinion about Talpa a couple of years ago, how people here jumped on me, and I learned from that I guess. Think its crap? Ok! Give them the finger and tell them to fuck off or similar "sould out" is NOT OK in my book. Does not matter if it is Ticon, Skazi or IM, taste can never be a preference. Of course this is a PSY TRANCE forum and maybe this should not have been posted here, but there are still some open minded people here, which embrace changes and updates to the music we are so much loving.

When you say that they soul'd out, you are saying that you know that they did this album with the intention to sell more, not because they maybe changed directions because they LIKE WHAT THEY DO! For you maybe they soul'd out, but MAYBE for Ticon its just another course that they are following, in order to satisfy their OWN needs and musical preference, did you think about that? When you are giving them the finger, you are disrespectful and thats that. ;):D

Dont get me wrong, I understand TOTALLY why you guys dont like it, its not your thing, and you might have loved previous work from Ticon and you are now very disappointed cause you expected something more! I did also expect something different, trust me. I however loved the outcome, but I might have hated it, if they followed the main stream progressive movement, but i would NEVER be disrespectful.

Go ahead and bash and point fingers, but dont complain if someone bashes and tells that your favorite band is complete fucking sheit ;)

Constructive Criticism is the keyword in a review, right?! :)

I really enjoy this album.Minimal and more electro than progressive...well i dont even label this as progressive anyway its a very good album with a synthpop feel, something that i never listened before :rolleyes:

People that bash the album have to understand that this is not their style, the fact that they dont like a style doesnt make it bad. :drama:

Go ahead and bash and point fingers, but dont complain if someone bashes and tells that your favorite band is complete fucking sheit ;)

completely coolio with that :)

I remember chis calling derango shite , he seemed to be the only one who disliked it sooo much unlike in Ticon's case where there are loads who really don't enjoy this album. Yeah maybe they changed directions because they wanted to do something different. Thats totally acceptable. But this is just in bad taste according to me compared to their earlier works like aero (which is one of the hallmarks of the progressive genre) .. the deviation is just too much for a hard ticon fan like me. I would never ever buy or support something like this which has been made to sell more ( you know it nemo ;) )

completely coolio with that :)

I remember chis calling derango shite , he seemed to be the only one who disliked it sooo much unlike in Ticon's case where there are loads who really don't enjoy this album. Yeah maybe they changed directions because they wanted to do something different. Thats totally acceptable. But this is just in bad taste according to me compared to their earlier works like aero (which is one of the hallmarks of the progressive genre) .. the deviation is just too much for a hard ticon fan like me. I would never ever buy or support something like this which has been made to sell more ( you know it nemo ;) )

I dont think that Ticon are EXPECTING anyone who dislikes it to support it, I think they more expect some "respect" ;):D and you KNOW it my friend :)

If this was Infected Mushroom review there wouldnt be any problem if someone calls them retarted fags who make crappy music to get more coke

no, I think you should see my previous posts in IM bashing topics then. ;)

I'm listening to it right now and so far it sounds amazing! :D

edit. it is turning out to be rubbish :(

Okay so it wasn't so bad. The first track was great. Also some other good ones there, but in the middle it was boring zzz..

For people that are supposed to be oh so PLUR, you sure are at this very moment. I don't mean that you can not have an opinion about this, I mean its the WAY you have an opinion. I can remember when I had a very strong DISLIKING opinion about Talpa a couple of years ago, how people here jumped on me, and I learned from that I guess. Think its crap? Ok! Give them the finger and tell them to fuck off or similar "sould out" is NOT OK in my book. Does not matter if it is Ticon, Skazi or IM, taste can never be a preference. Of course this is a PSY TRANCE forum and maybe this should not have been posted here, but there are still some open minded people here, which embrace changes and updates to the music we are so much loving.

When you say that they soul'd out, you are saying that you know that they did this album with the intention to sell more, not because they maybe changed directions because they LIKE WHAT THEY DO! For you maybe they soul'd out, but MAYBE for Ticon its just another course that they are following, in order to satisfy their OWN needs and musical preference, did you think about that? When you are giving them the finger, you are disrespectful and thats that. ;):D

Dont get me wrong, I understand TOTALLY why you guys dont like it, its not your thing, and you might have loved previous work from Ticon and you are now very disappointed cause you expected something more! I did also expect something different, trust me. I however loved the outcome, but I might have hated it, if they followed the main stream progressive movement, but i would NEVER be disrespectful.

Constructive Criticism is the keyword in a review, right?! :)

I totally agree with you

besides I like the album except the first track is really disgusting cheesy, but I don't call you guys names for your cheesy taste..

The other track even those with vocals their melodies are not that cheesy as those in the first track.

Hi All !

The legendary duo, Fredrik Gilemholt & Filip Mardberg, is coming out with brand new album, called - 2AM. Ticon are proves the advancement of their music and the new album is contain fresh style packed with Electro-House moments. If you want to enjoy it, just listen the music and forget about Ticon's old music, because this is the upgrade of this project.

Posted Image

01. 1987

It's start very melodic and emotionally with long playing of morning vibes. The tempo is still slow, but '1987' track is open the journey on the best way I could ask for - magical introduction. Just flow with the melody and get free smiling fly from Ticon.

02. Zebra beat

The second track is whole Electro. I'm not big fan of this style, but these guys made it sound fine. The track is self is a bit boring if you ask me, except the up's and down's (like the brake on 03:35), which still give the listener a good reason why not pass to the next track.

03. Models on cocaine

Please say hello to the hit of the album. I think this track will be a dance floor refresher for long time. After almost two minutes of vocalist intro, came in the jumpy electro bass and let the all asses do the work . This is what I called enjoyable music.

04. Weekeend warriors

I hope you are ready to go on, because we are going down to the Minimal's zone. Ticon is a variable project and still keep the high level of production. The Minimal style fans have a serious gift here.

05. Spitfire

We are still in the Minimal area but this time the Electro is gets in also. These guys simply come to show us how to create a pure electronic music professionally. For maximal experience, you should follow the beats and check the your body responses. The brake on the middle of the track is jumping and super danceable. Way to go guys !

06. In the box

'In the box' track has a spark of imagination to Ticon's older material. Finally, after five tracks, we can hear some progressive kicks and it's feels great. Michele Adamson is responsible for the vocals in this track. They combine the old proggy style with the new electro style and the result is impressive.

07. We're shining

Now is the time to leave everything and run to the middle of the dance floor - electro madness. The vibe in this track is amazing. All the necessary elements are inside - groove, guitars, vocals (by Filip his self) and lovely atmosphere. If you were a bit tired until now, this track will wake you up big time.

08. 2 am

The title track is surely one of my favorites here. Despite the fact it's seven minutes length, the feeling is much more. I don't know what is their secret component, but they hypnotized me to this music. Forget the all definitions, this is MUSIC.

09. Less is more

I expected to a chill track, but Filip & Fredrik think just the opposite - they raise the tempo and add soft melodies to end this trip with sweet taste. Thank you guys.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/dig/dig1cd020.html

Except of tracks with vocals that I simply can't get into it, this album surely is a refreshment in psy scene. I still think that tracks like WEEKEND WARRIORS, SPITFIRE and LESS IS MORE belongs to trance genre, despite most of people here saying the otherwise. I also like 1987 with its gentle touch and nice melodies. 2.A.M. is also very nice progressive track, reminds me a lot on last Vibrasphere. Those 5 tracks alone makes this album good enough so I don't just diss it. It surely has nothing to do with previous Ticon input, but for a change, it is nice. I quite like this swedish progressive acts going into more experimental realms, similar with last Vibrasphere, only he hasn't choose electro/house path. Quite nice change if you ask me, not the regular formula repeater. The only thing I fear is more producers choosing exactly this electro/house path these days which is also becoming a popular style. 7/10

• 4 weeks later...

It's the best when people who are involved in a scene with connotations of open-mindedness, acceptance and love trash artists based on their personal taste. They probably close the browser, smoke a bowl and complain about there not being enough respect in the world. Don't forget to look inward.

Haven't listened to whole album, just some songs on Myspace. Didn't like 2am so much but like Less is More quite a bit. I mean, these guys suck and don't belong on this planet making music! I suck too and don't belong on this planet spouting my lame opinons! Ha.

This album is awesome. Quite possibly my favourite from Ticon so far, if not then definately on a par with zero six after. Lots of variety in here which is what I love about it, with elements of prog trance, electro, electro-house, minimal etc, all done with that classic Ticon sound that we've known to love since the release of zero six after. Oh and the only thing to add, is OH MY GOD DOES THIS ALBUM MAKE ME WANT TO DANCE!! :posford:

Favourites:

1, 3(!!), 4, 7 (! these two are soooo funky), 8

9/10 from me :D