2. Zebra Beat (6:57)

3. Models On Cocaine (7:40)

4. Weekend Warriors (6:25)

5. Spitfire (8:10)

6. In The Box (7:08)

7. We're Shining (7:41)

8. 2 Am (7:06)

9. Less Is More (8:17)

The Swedish duo Filip Mårdberg and Fredrik Gilenholt are back with a 4th album on their regular Digital Structures label. It's been over 2 years since their previous hit release "Zero Six After" and the anticipation (by me anyway) was pretty immense. In this period the guys didn't release any new material besides one track under their NDSA alias with Emok in 2006 (Harbour Candy) which was quite a big hit and received a fat remix by Solead.

So is this one any good you ask? The answers right after the commercials...

1987 Starts the album with big epic a-la Jean Michel Jarre feeling all over. This is a track that will light up many sunrises for a few good parties in the near future. Very high on the cheese factor, true, but sounds like it was made with pure intentions. So I'll let it slide, with the knobs all the way right.

Zebra Beat takes into somewhat minimal'ish territory with some corny male chanting in the background "This is in your noise, this in your sound". Sounds a bit like what Ticon would do if Trentemoller was around the block. Fat crunchy tune. Another sure hit.

Models on Cocaine I first heard almost a year ago when the guys performed live in Israel. Already there it sounded like a sure hit. A bit like Beckers' Switch but with Kraftwerk influenced computer vocals. This one I try to listen as less as possible so it won't hunt me too much at parties when the season returns. "Sniffing at the Catwalk"!

Weekend Warriors is this album's heavyweight champion in my opinion. It has some of that "In the dirt" vibe from their previous album with precise circular layer upon layer buildup that just makes deep holes in the dancefloors. In my opinion, and I've heard it only around 50 times so far it's almost as nearly as great as Extrawelt's Soopertrack and that's says plenty. Best track of the album.

Spitfire goes further into the dirty minimal techno regions. Very German sound in this one. Almost D-Nox & Beckers like in the beginning but towards the end it becomes a bit insane with some crazy scratchy sounds. Demented tune.

In the Box is the first letdown of this album. It's downright cheese-fest powered by uber silly female vocals that just don't pass the test. Skip

We're Shining is another vocals heavy tune. Although this time it's almost bearable and the distorted Bass Guitar sounds so fucking great. The climax is going to be probably the biggest hands in the air point of this album but hell it's not that bad.

2 AM, the title track is slow building tribal electro number with deep and subtle melodies. The track has a very special atmosphere that reminds me a bit some old Sasha and Digweed material for some unknown reason. Very nice set filler i guess.

Less is More, the closing number reminds me a lot the first track. Although not nearly as big but has that same positivity charge. A great example of a track with a rolling bassline that just does the job without falling into all sorts of genre cliches. Perfect way to close the album.

Conclusion: All in all the Swedish boys has done it again, for the 4th time. Although this time they let inside what is arguably their worst track ever (in the box) but also some of their best ever. If you loved their previous work and if you love melodic morning sound and don't get rash from words like electro and minimal techno than get this ASAP.

Favorites: 1!!!, 2!!!, 3!, 4!!!!, 5!!!, 8!, 9!!!

Score: 9/10

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great album, very melodic, great production and it feels to me very original. I think In the box is a nice funky track, so I would state there are no bad tracks on this album. There is some kind of "retro feel" over the tracks and being an old fan of 80's music that is a great thing.I think that this album will keep growing and show itself as one of the best of 2008.

Also thx for a great review.

Great album, very melodic, great production and it feels to me very original. I think In the box is a nice funky track, so I would state there are no bad tracks on this album. There is some kind of "retro feel" over the tracks and being an old fan of 80's music that is a great thing.I think that this album will keep growing and show itself as one of the best of 2008.

Also thx for a great review.

+1

I thinks its so far the worsest album out this year. Bssides excelent "1987" i dislike all other tracks which stinks gayish electrohouse ;x

Well if you listen to it hoping for uberpsy then no doubt that's how you'll feel.

Personally, i find it pleasant ot listen to, but not my party preference.

I am not going to write a review about this release, as I simply can not express with words how much I like this excellent release from my fellow skaanian musicians. This album at first gave me a good feeling, and after a few listens I realized that this is one of the most awesome productions to date from a former psy/progressive band. Sure, it is not psychedelic in the sense of what Full on or whatever you want to call "Dark" is today, but it sure gives you a good trancey feeling and for sure makes you want to dance.

It is a shame that this album is not embraced with open an open mind!

A job very well done Ticon, you surely know how to do this, and you truly have won my "Best genre change of the year" award :) (That does not mean I would not like to hear some awesome "Oldschool" Ticon sound in the future again)

It is a shame that this album is not embraced with open an open mind!

I knew it wont be a follow up to Zero Six After. But i wasnt expecting exactly what i heard on this album. I'm PSYTRANCE dude. If artist starts to follow house trends i say bye bye, no thx!

Maybe they did great job, but from psytrancer point of view this fucking terrible :D

And it's not realy that i dont like electro influences in psytrance. If they are properly aplicated (Neelix) they are awesome then.!

But when psytrance act (Ticon) totaly changes his style i cant make myself like it, sorry :( It seriously annoys me.

But when psytrance act (Ticon) totaly changes his style i cant make myself like it, sorry :( It seriously annoys me.

Now that is weird. Why does it annoy you if someone decides to take a different path? They are artists who make music as they see fit. Should they just stick to doing the same old thing over and over again because that's the way you like it? Should they not be true to themselves and just please totally random people who liked the style they use to make the music? Perhaps they have grown and thought they'd do something else for a change.

I have only heard 1987 and it's a magnificent tune and can't wait to hear the rest of the album because I am a MUSIC dude and openminded with it, good music is good music no matter the genre ;)

ticon is my favorite progressive (and one of the only ones I really 100% like), just because of the nice minimal and electro influences ;)

(some people here look very narrowminded about crossovers here :blink: )

Their last album Zero Six After was fucking amazing and according to the review it must be very good

High exceptions to the track that is allmost as good as Soopertrack!

I knew it wont be a follow up to Zero Six After. But i wasnt expecting exactly what i heard on this album. I'm PSYTRANCE dude. If artist starts to follow house trends i say bye bye, no thx!

Maybe they did great job, but from psytrancer point of view this fucking terrible :D

helloooo tunnelvision :blink:

I like the album, it's very melodic progressive but with a lot's of different influences...

the electro and funky stuff is nice,

as said above there are no bad tracks, indeed a good concept through the entire release is created...

to be honest I never enjoyed the typical ticon kick, well the one he always uses but 2AM has nice structure and a floating kick...

well done :)

I just listened to the album and it's amazing!

I agree that it's not psytrance anymore but for what it is (electro-house?), it's great. They are clearly following the same path as son kite/minilogue.

Great album! I Recommend it for people who don't dislike electro-house/minimal.

It hasn't got an eighties feel.

Stop saying that.

That's like saying drum'n'bass is eighties.

Or saying black metal is fifties.

Or saying psytrance is seventies.

Just stop.

Stop.

Please.

It hasn't got an eighties feel.

Stop saying that.

That's like saying drum'n'bass is eighties.

Or saying black metal is fifties.

Or saying psytrance is seventies.

Just stop.

Stop.

Please.

Your avatar is not Psychedelic. It's vomit inducing

Another big mistake... I though to check this one out together with Solar Fields - Earthshine... Just to have a look where progressive is going these days, as everyone was talking about it as if it was pure gold...

Unfortunately I can not say I like this at all, it is pure minimal electro with house influences... not even worthy to be on a psychedelic trance forum... It is just because they used to make this kind of music, but today, they grew to something totally different, something I dislike with a passion...

not 1 single track I liked :(