Joie Hinton leaves Eat Static

Towelie

what they were before: merv & joey

now: merv

asking the question... WHO was/is the mastermind behind the project? WHO has collaborated endless times with other artists?

Maybe so, but I still dont think there are many people out there who can play the synths like joie can... :unsure:

actually.. its good.

most bands die out after a while. They cant make any good material anymore but they try for 3 albums...

Eat static stops at a point where they have made shitloads of good material and nothing bad. They stop at a point where everything is between good and excellent! Thats one hell of a point to drop off... Best exit ever.

actually.. its good.

most bands die out after a while. They cant make any good material anymore but they try for 3 albums...

Eat static stops at a point where they have made shitloads of good material and nothing bad. They stop at a point where everything is between good and excellent! Thats one hell of a point to drop off... Best exit ever.

Eat Static isn't stopping though. It's just becoming a one-man-band, as far as I can tell; Merv's carrying on.

I saw Joie today; he drives a taxi in Glastonbury where I teach. I was having lunch outside a cafe with a couple of friends, one of whom knows him quite well, and we went up to say hello. Paul introduced me and we spoke for a few minutes; I told him that I just wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration he'd been part of giving us as a band since we formed, and that the last time I saw Static play (at Waveform Festival) they'd blown me away. He said "OOOD? Never heard of you but I'll check out your myspace when we finally get broadband connected at home". :lol:

That's pretty cool! And maybe also a tad disappointing that he didn't know OOOD? Did you talk about him leaving Eat Static or wasn't there any time? And did he always drive a cab? Funny to know somehow, I'd always figured they could easily live off their music...

I saw Joie today; he drives a taxi in Glastonbury where I teach. I was having lunch outside a cafe with a couple of friends, one of whom knows him quite well, and we went up to say hello. Paul introduced me and we spoke for a few minutes; I told him that I just wanted to say thanks for all the inspiration he'd been part of giving us as a band since we formed, and that the last time I saw Static play (at Waveform Festival) they'd blown me away. He said "OOOD? Never heard of you but I'll check out your myspace when we finally get broadband connected at home". :lol:

:lol: thats a good one :)

So thats it then for eat static?

Not at all. Eat Static played a live set here in Bristol last night - Merv only. Check the blog on their Myspace page - Joie has left but Merv will carry on with the Eat Static brand.

It was a pretty good gig actually, Eat Static and System 7 live.

Not at all. Eat Static played a live set here in Bristol last night - Merv only. Check the blog on their Myspace page - Joie has left but Merv will carry on with the Eat Static brand.

It was a pretty good gig actually, Eat Static and System 7 live.

You are4 Merv?

First rule of keeping your feet on the ground (not that mine are lol) is: never assume that just because you've been doing something for ages, people will have heard of you...

Yeah, but you've been working and successful in the same genre, more or less, haven't you? And it's not the biggest genre ever, and was especially tiny back in the day.

Yeah, but you've been working and successful in the same genre, more or less, haven't you? And it's not the biggest genre ever, and was especially tiny back in the day.

I dunno, maybe Eat Static listen to just as little other trance as I do?

• 9 months later...

Merv is still most definately holding his own on the famous static live sets. Different set up now (not as much line synth work :() but still wicked!

Vid 1

Vid 2

Vid 3

Vid 4

Thoughts? As good live as they used to be with both of them?

Merv's also working on a 20th anniversary new album apparently. He played a couple of the new tracks last time i saw them at waveform and they were fantastic!

e. you can hear one of them on the fourth video (pretty sure it's a new one, if not then i want to know where i can buy it :D). and also another one half way through the 3rd video, which has been going round their live sets for a while now, which is an absolute TUNE!!

great videos...

hell, I gotta see Merv playing before he abandons the project altogether! Eat Static is very high up my "must see live before death" list!

The crap is, he's mostly playing in the UK. Like on 24th January for example ... Brighton, how am I supposed to get there? I don't have the money for a flight ticket and whatnot, I could barely afford the entry if he was playing here near my doorstep!

I saw them for the first time in 2007 @ Konemetsä. And it rocked. Next to X-Dream, probably the best i've seen. There was something magical about it, but I can't really spot what. I saw the vids above and it seems that Merv can pull it of himself. I hope for the best. Anyway, I am glad that I saw them when they were both active.

-Let them eat static :posford:

great videos...

hell, I gotta see Merv playing before he abandons the project altogether! Eat Static is very high up my "must see live before death" list!

The crap is, he's mostly playing in the UK. Like on 24th January for example ... Brighton, how am I supposed to get there? I don't have the money for a flight ticket and whatnot, I could barely afford the entry if he was playing here near my doorstep!

you shud come across to the UK for one of the festivals he usually plays at (glade or waveform) :) Don't think eat static are that well known outside of the UK! But yeah, they are definately one to 'see live before death', on a par with green nuns for the best live sets I've ever seen! :D

and I can't stop listening to those new tunes on those videos, sooooo good. I just love the female vocals on the one on vid 4 and that monstrous bassline of the new one on vid 3 :D

you shud come across to the UK for one of the festivals he usually plays at (glade or waveform) :) Don't think eat static are that well known outside of the UK! But yeah, they are definately one to 'see live before death', on a par with green nuns for the best live sets I've ever seen! :D

and I can't stop listening to those new tunes on those videos, sooooo good. I just love the female vocals on the one on vid 4 and that monstrous bassline of the new one on vid 3 :D

IMO Eat Static are one of the rather well known goa/psy bands because they're already around for so long ... but anyway. They just don't get that many bookings outside the UK. That is some sort of a "syndrome" if I may say so ... Banco De Gaia has the exact same ... lots of playing in UK, not much outside...

But that's kinda the same with every band ... Astral Projection do play a lot in Israel for example...

But yes, I definitely have to come over to the UK for one of these big festivals someday. I imagine that they have a very characteristic atmosphere which won't be found elsewhere...

and btw, I bet Mars was on that party in Paris the videos are from ... anybody spot him? :D

I beg to differ, Eat Static is one of THE acts that people know, no MATTER where you are from. Not only for their long presence in our scene, but also for their distinct sound that they created. Quite frankly, I have not found an artist that even comes close to sounding close to them. I think maybe after Hallucinogen, they are Europes best known act, eventhough NOT most loved act haha :) (and god knows that I LOVE eat static and not mr rotford) :D