How to know if the terminals are balanced or not?

I have an old Yamaha CS1x and I have no idea if the outputs are balanced or not.

The manual says nothing about it. Should I assume that they are (or aren't)? Is there a way to check it?

just check if the terminal is stereo PL or mono PL for each channel (left and right)

ummm no, that should not have anything to do with it. I know why you think like that, because a balanced cable indeed looks like a stereo cable :) However you can do a simple test if you have balanced inputs on your mixer. But the channel to zero db, plug the synth with an unbalanced cable (the mono cable) and then look at the output it gives. Then plug in a balanced cable to the mixer and synth and look at the output again. if NOTHING changes, the output on the synth is unbalanced. IF there is a change of the output, the output plug is balanced. I am sure there are better way of finding out, but this is the easiest if you dont have any other tools etc :)

• 2 weeks later...

Since balanced 1/4" output have the extra ring, wouldn't inserting a balance cable into a balanced output feel a little different than inserting a balanced cable into an unbalanced output? Was just thinking about this, wondering if you could feel the extra ring pop into place, essentially feeling 2 clicks/pops of the jack as it inserts fully rather than 1.

Since balanced 1/4" output have the extra ring, wouldn't inserting a balance cable into a balanced output feel a little different than inserting a balanced cable into an unbalanced output? Was just thinking about this, wondering if you could feel the extra ring pop into place, essentially feeling 2 clicks/pops of the jack as it inserts fully rather than 1.

no. but the test I described will work. :)