Music To Films

seraph

What do you guys think of producers doing their own music for some silent or trippy films ?

I have 3 great examples of what is an awesome soundtrack for already existing film :

JEFF MILLS - METROPOLIS

PHILLIP GLASS & KRONOS QUARTET - DRACULA

OLIVER LIEB & DR. ATMO - KOYAANISQATSI

I like it when producers decide to make entirely new music for some cinematic piece, or for the classics I mentioned.

These 3 soundtracks all sound completely different, Mills making neo classical electronic piece, Glass & Kronos Quartet entirely classical and Lieb & Atmo doing ambient, downtempo, cosmic, spiritual stuff. The third one is by far my favorite, such soundscapes filled with loads of melodies, for sure A MUST.

I would like to hear more of the similar stuff, made especially for films. Do you know about any other soundtracks made by pioneers of modern music ?

Can't say anything about "silent trippy" films but i loved "the 5th element" soundtrack created by ERIC SERRA.

I think this is the most eclectic and beautiful pieces of electronic music EVER. :drama: (taking into account of how much time and effort was put in it)

A lot of ambient & chillout I think would make great soundtracks to dark or moody movies.

Listen to Pan Electric - Conscious Pilot & I think that would make a good sound track to some avant garde movie. Nice loungey, slightly jazzy stuff.

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker was meant to be a replacement soundtrack & I'd like to see the movie it was supposed to represent.

Vangelis - Bladerunner ;)

Robert Rich & B. Lustmord - Stalker was meant to be a replacement soundtrack & I'd like to see the movie it was supposed to represent.

Was that for the Tarkovsky film? interesting.

I think early aphex twin would make great soundtrack atmospherics....i wonder if he's done so?

I know this one ! One of the best dark ambient albums ever... so gloomy and subversive. Stunning piece of work. ;)

hrm. so you didn't like the philip glass soundtrack?

Juno Reactor's recent output has been all about the cinematic experience.

agreed. I was just watching Matrix reloaded the other night and thinking how much the music adds to that movie.

I loved it, but these two brought it into a completely new dimension... check it out, hear for yourself. ;):D

• 2 weeks later...

Blade Runner contains parts from the score combined with other music made for the movie (that didn't play in the movie).

The second disc from the new 25th anniversary edition contains more music from the score and two bonus tracks in the style of the soundtrack. I think it's great. Recommended for the second disc and of course the first for those who don't have it. The third disc is all new music by V. inspired by the movie, it's pretty damn cheesy.

What do you guys think of producers doing their own music for some silent or trippy films ?

This is a very interesting topic seraph, and I just saw it.

Here it goes... The idea of producers doing their own music to already existing music never really intrigued me that much. I am not that familiar with all the examples listed here, but being a big fan of Detroit techno, I'll use Jeff Mills to try and prove my point. While the combination of Metropolis and Jeff Mills seems like a dream-come-true clash between cinema and music (speaking of the industrial, machinery orientated connotations of the motor city and Lang's flick with a similar theme), after a few thorough listens back then, I was left wanting for more. I always felt like recording a soundtrack for a mute motion picture was more a show off attempt than a really creative artistic move. By the time of completion of the Metropolis soundtrack, Jeff Mills has covered every, and I do mean every aspect of the techno spectrum. Even if he had wanted to, there were too few little holes to fill up. I'm not trying to say he should have recorded yet another Axis Records techno album, I'm not trying to say the soundtrack on its own is a bad piece of music, I'm just of the opinion it's kind of a pointless direction to take. It's a great movie- and for a reason too. The music on its own cannot evoke the overall brilliance of the visual presentation, while the combo of both is great, but I myself always pushed the movie to the forefront, leaving the music behind, and thus placing it in a category of uncoutable other darker ambient releases that could have played the accompanying soundtrack role to Metropolis. While Jeff Mills' production skills shine through once again here, like they always did, I just don't consider it an adequate move for somebody who is considered the world's greatest techno music innovator. Metropolis pursues a more experimental path, fine with me as I'm opened to virtually everything, but it bounces too far away from Mills' niche to be measured against his previous works, and is most definately outshadowed by his later, more experimental and really thought provoking stuff like Medium and One Man Spaceship. That was long... phew.

rino, you are for sure one very eloquent guy, your sharpness in describing things seemed to amaze me ever since you registered here.

Your arguments have always been on their place, and your wit exceeds your sharpness. I will always be glad to hear your arguments about music in future, you really seem like you know what you are talking about. ;)

The only thing I mind about your insights is that you seem like a guy that overcomes music easily. I always keep the classics deep inside myself, never overcoming real wonders of musical spectrum. Like for example, Richie Hawtin will always STAY Richie Hawtin. ;):P

Vangelis - Bladerunner ;)

uhh now there is an idea... would be fantastic if Vangelis "made" a full length "music version" of the film (on original synths of course :rolleyes: )

this reminds me of that I am going to see a live performance by JMJ doing Oxygen on the same synths as me made the original... gonna be so nice! Hash brownies!!!! :wacko:

Damn Vangelis should really do a performance from start to finish on Blade Runner... that would :rolleyes:

I loved it, but these two brought it into a completely new dimension... check it out, hear for yourself. ;):D

Is this on dvd or how does it work..... I'm a very big fan of the movie (and Philip's soundtrack) so I would love to see this version as well!

Is this on dvd or how does it work..... I'm a very big fan of the movie (and Philip's soundtrack) so I would love to see this version as well!

It was not released on DVD, you download or buy an album and play from very beginning. ;)