Psytrance in Japan

Pandemonium

I have been in japan for almost six years now, so I think I have a good feeling when the scene shows signs of progression or degression. And usually when I can feel something in my gut, It turns out to be correct. First of all in Tokyo there have been two major stores in an area called Shibuya that cater to psytrance only. Well, one just closed the doors after years and years of business :( in addition to that when I check out all of the promoters sights ( Solstice, Vision Quest, Mother, Labyrinth, Blissdom, Sirius, Sigma, Fineplay, Brainbusters) for events there isnt any scheduled, or if there is, its for some cheesy full on non quality artist. Besides for Mother, & Brainbusters, it seems that nowadays Japan lacks a quality scene with quality artist coming through on a daily basis. And for those of you who have lived in Japan for quite some time know what I am talking about. And its not just because it is the winter either. Japan (especially Tokyo) is known for its year around fruitful harvest of events and artists. Maybe I am making to big a deal of this, but I cant help but compare now to the past, and I remember a few years ago when there were so many parties each weekend that you had to choose which one to got to. Does anyone have any feelings on this matter, or can anyone shed some light about their own insight on this topic?

And a bit off topic, but still relating to the scene, psyreviews.net has just closed the doors. I may not have agreed with every review, but none the less, I enjoyed reading the reviews, and that sight was a great tool, and asset for people new to the scene to see and know what was coming out and more about the music.

Maybe this one should have been posted in the offtopic section, mods you know what to do.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Psychedelic Garden in Shinjuku still open? They had some amazing clothing and wares.... Thats very disappointing if what you think is true; the Japanese are amazing to party with. They have so much energy and spirit!

Yes I beleive that store is still open, but they cater to clothes more and not music. Its true, the vibe created by the Japanese and the experience while dancing together is unbeatable. They are so into and so passionate about the music. Thats why I hope that I am wrong and this is just downtime for the scene and just a slump that will jump right back up.

Yeah it's serious,,

In Osaka,, Cisco also recently closed its doors,,, they were one of the main ticket outlets for trance parties and also had an extremely well stocked psytrance section..

And Psyreviews closing sucks beeegtime

I dont know why he suddenly bailed out,, just a month ago he was saying how amazing the Scorb album is,,, now suddenly he says that there is absolutely nothing worth reviewing.. very strange if you ask me..

Not for me, anyway. There is still lots of great psy-music out there. You can't just take and bury it. There's always a HOPE.

oh there is a lot of psychedelic music , i agree...but what psychedelic trance started as, is now dead... too bad, we just have to look elsewhere for good psy...!

Which shop closed? Not quintrix? That would be really damn sad :(

I've been to less parties than I did years ago but that's because there are less good trance acts playing. I got much more into the chill scene, nights with only downbeat can be quite cool.

Haven't had the cash for that for a while either though <_<

oh there is a lot of psychedelic music , i agree...but what psychedelic trance started as, is now dead... too bad, we just have to look elsewhere for good psy...!

Then it's not dead stupid ;):D It has just changed wether you like it or not... If you have a girlfriend, and after a couple of years you start to grow apart and you deside to split up.. Is she dead then? :) Caus millions of other boys would probably still like to fuck here, no matter what you think of her. Am i right ? :)

Then it's not dead stupid ;):D It has just changed wether you like it or not... If you have a girlfriend, and after a couple of years you start to grow apart and you deside to split up.. Is she dead then? :) Caus millions of other boys would probably still like to fuck here, no matter what you think of her. Am i right ? :)

If my gf decides to completely change, then yes, the gf i used to know is dead. She doesnt exist anymore as i knew her. She is another person. Gettit?

If my gf decides to completely change, then yes, the gf i used to know is dead. She doesnt exist anymore as i knew her. She is another person. Gettit?

Maybe she is dead to YOU, but not to other people.. SO..in conclusion she is not really dead, is she? :)

Maybe she is dead to YOU, but not to other people.. SO..in conclusion she is not really dead, is she? :)

ah we have a problem in the concept of identity.... what psytrance was,psytrance is no more. for worse or better,it changed, it is no longer psytrance. well at least what is conceived as psytrance these days....

fuhgetaboutit......too much of a headache to explain

ah we have a problem in the concept of identity.... what psytrance was,psytrance is no more. for worse or better,it changed, it is no longer psytrance. well at least what is conceived as psytrance these days....

fuhgetaboutit......too much of a headache to explain

I understand you, i just think you're wrong..

Your ex-girlfriend is called Maria.. She changed to something you don't like! But she's still Maria when she meet new people.. And other people see some good qualities in here, eventhough she's dead to you, therefor she isn't dead :)

But fuck it, different people, different oppinions :)

I understand you, i just think you're wrong..

Your ex-girlfriend is called Maria.. She changed to something you don't like! But she's still Maria when she meet new people.. And other people see some good qualities in here, eventhough she's dead to you, therefor she isn't dead :)

But fuck it, different people, different oppinions :)

yeah, but am going beyond good and evil.... its not about it being good, or ppl liking it. Its just that what psytrance represented, music wise, party wise, etc wise, is no more relevant to psytrance.... so technically speaking, psytrance has changed so much that it cannot be psytrance anymore. If drum and bass evolves in a way that there is no more bass in their tracks, is it still drum and bass?

Again i think we dont quite agree on the concept of identity....Its like the greeks arguing if Argo was the same ship, after she got patched and repaired at every port she stationed.

But yeah fuck it, I dont even talk about this matters anymore...i dont know why i keep posting. :)

yeah, but am going beyond good and evil.... its not about it being good, or ppl liking it. Its just that what psytrance represented, music wise, party wise, etc wise, is no more relevant to psytrance.... so technically speaking, psytrance has changed so much that it cannot be psytrance anymore. If drum and bass evolves in a way that there is no more bass in their tracks, is it still drum and bass?

Again i think we dont quite agree on the concept of identity....Its like the greeks arguing if Argo was the same ship, after she got patched and repaired at every port she stationed.

But yeah fuck it, I dont even talk about this matters anymore...i dont know why i keep posting. :)

Hehe, yeah your right :) But i still find alot of the new stuff psychedelic. And i know alot of people inhere don't think the same(darkpsy for example) wich is VERY psychedelic to me, more than any of the old shizz, so this discussion is without an end :) As we talked about in another topic, "psychedelic" is not something you can just define, so it can mean alot of different things to different people.

... I was surposed to fuck it, why do i keep writing as well :D

Cisco, now its just good old Quintrix left standing all lonly in Shibuya, surrounded by hiphop and clothing stores.

Did all of the Cisco's close or just the trance focused one? Their website seems to still be open, but I think that is based out of Chiba.

Did all of the Cisco's close or just the trance focused one? Their website seems to still be open, but I think that is based out of Chiba.

Cisco has always had several different varieties of music split into different stores. hiphop, Rock, J pop, you name it. The only chapter that they closed was the psytrance one.

I reckon the scene in Tokyo packed up when Vision Quest went cheesy about 2001 and Yokohama Bay Hall closed its doors to trance party-went to a few rockers back there. What ever happened to Chikuya and Trance Cafe ?? Mind you still looks like there are some good outdoor parties still happening. Hiro (Sharaku) looks like he is still doing the business though! Had some absoluelty rocking good times in Tokyo!! Someone should revive those parties on Nijima Island-they were wicked!