Ott - Skylon

psygnus

The problem with this album is, the opening track is nowhere near as good as Jack's Cheese and Bread Snack, and the last track is not even in the same league as Smoked Glass and Chrome. I mean, yeah, the Ott flourish is there, technically it's probably flawless, but the melodies are way, way, way too simple everywhere.

A Shower of Sparks shows real promise, especially for the entire length of the flute piece (and since this is the part previewed on the twisted site, I thought this track would be really awesome), but then that stupid female vocodized singing comes on and always seems to go somewhere, but the tune stays stuck, and stuck, and stuck.

Some of the other tracks have their moments. The Queen of All Everything is pretty damn good. But, seriously, too much of those female vocals all around.

Expectations were always high on this one for me. Blumenkraft is pretty much like nothing else out there. But still, even with those impossible expectations, I just wanted something really awesome, you know? :D

I say Ott should go back to the remix desk and bring up a Shpongle cocktail album.

Not bad, this one, but seriously, it's something Enigma or Massive Attack could churn out. Ott's way better than this.

Favourites : the odd... 2,4,6,8 :)

the even lol :lol:

so what i'm remembering of the replies is to not overdo Ott and all will be fine... i know i heard blumenkraft long time ago, can't remember any of it...except that i really liked it...:P and some tracks of HID come to my mind... Rogue Bagel was absolutely stunning for me when i heard it from the twisted dvd album (aug 07?) phooh, ages ago...

you complaining people shouldn't listen Ott this often, and you'll enjoy it more! :P

the scene is oversaturated, so good user dosage is the key!

Guest antic

i didn heard this one but im glad that TWISTED is up , this is the big fact to me

PSYSHOP http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/twi/twi1cd033.html

WTF? It was never 'down'. The Good, Bad & Ugly album somehow slipped through their quality control, but Koxbox, Prometheus and YB were all outstanding...

Besides, great review man!

Mods, please delete my and his post...

This album is terribly boring. And what's even worse, it made me like Blumenkraft even less.

Yeah, yeah - Ott and dub, yes yes yes, we get it. And it's horribly boring. It's the same thing over and over again. Rogue Bagel is the only decent track, but those exact vocals are used by many other artists.

2/5

Ugh, I have to agree with the rest, this is such boredom fest. Yaaaaaawn ! And not again those indian samples that are way overused in downtempo music anyways. I can't hear any innovation, it all sounds the same, and comparing this to Blumenkraft is like comparing Pleiadians and Krumelur. While Blumenkraft was class of its own and one of the better dub/downtempo ambient of the era, this one is one of the dullest things I've heard in ages, maybe it is not worse than last Shulman that was so replusive ! The only track I liked was The Queen Of All Everything, the rest is really non imaginative and rather bland. 4/10

Wow.. I thought I was the only one who found Ott's style too "polished" .. like everything is too perfect that it's boring :P (Haven't listened to skylon yet though)

Perfect is boring? Hehe, i don't understand.

I think this album is amazing

I think it's the best Psy Chill album I've heard for a while. Not that there's any competition or something but still... Perfect sound and quite emotional melodies and soundscapes. If he could take out the "so overused ethnic vocals" it could get a 9/10 from me. Close but no cigar 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

i don't like those overused samples that much either, but i should say this is an amazing album....

nothing new for you guys ? i would love to hear something innovative and new too, but what's wrong with the version two of Blumenkraft?

for me this album worked pretty well as a follow up of OTT's 1st album....

(i mean did guys have any problem with, let's say, Carbon Based Lifeforms' 2nd album (World of Sleepers) !?!?!?! That is also identical to CBL's 1st album, but it's fuckin awesome !!!)

:P

i don't like those overused samples that much either, but i should say this is an amazing album....

nothing new for you guys ? i would love to hear something innovative and new too, but what's wrong with the version two of Blumenkraft?

for me this album worked pretty well as a follow up of OTT's 1st album....

(i mean did guys have any problem with, let's say, Carbon Based Lifeforms' 2nd album (World of Sleepers) !?!?!?! That is also identical to CBL's 1st album, but it's fuckin awesome !!!)

:P

Yes exactly... Can't see the reason to complain about it being a little similar? I for instance, haven't heard Ott before this, i recieved both This and Blumenkraft at the same time.. And i actually like this one better!

I'm confused about these reviews..

Do people who find it boring and/or too much like Blumenkraft feel that its similarity to Blumenkraft is the reason for it being boring?

In other words, Blumenkraft is agreed by many including myself to be a sensational and landmark album - if Blumenkraft hadn't already been released would this album be good then?

Or is it inferior to Blumenkraft altogether - just boring and lame in general?

Its lacking the lerger then life moments, in previous albums theres allways cool bass with lot of variation etc. here its just same all over again.. also the great guitars and other instrumentation is missing, its just repeating the same riff instead progressing to something like the guitar on first track on blumenkraft.. still theres few tracks that are totally awesome and original sounding.

Edited by Towelie

• 3 weeks later...

I like Skylon. But I'm disappointed by it too, because it doesn't break much new ground. Blumenkraft and Hallucinogen In Dub are two of my all-time favorite electronic releases so naturally I had very high expectations for Skylon. But as others have said, it sounds like Blumenkraft II.

I don't see the paradox here, really. It's good music and well worth the money. But based on Ott's prior releases I was hoping for something that pushed the genre forward a bit more. Ott is one of a small handful of producers in the psy/dub genre who appears to have the potential to do something really earth-shattering and new. But not this time.

-- Gus

I like Skylon. But I'm disappointed by it too, because it doesn't break much new ground. Blumenkraft and Hallucinogen In Dub are two of my all-time favorite electronic releases so naturally I had very high expectations for Skylon. But as others have said, it sounds like Blumenkraft II.

I don't see the paradox here, really. It's good music and well worth the money. But based on Ott's prior releases I was hoping for something that pushed the genre forward a bit more. Ott is one of a small handful of producers in the psy/dub genre who appears to have the potential to do something really earth-shattering and new. But not this time.

-- Gus

I agree with all that - just how I feel about this album - disappointing for the lack of innovation but good music nonetheless...

• 3 weeks later...

After some more listens I've come around to thinking this album is brilliant! - exceptional work here, despite being similar in style to Blumenkraft... There's a lot of beautiful detail, the melodies are excellent, and the soundscapes and so forth are very deep and psychedelic...

First-rate journey music...

After some more listens I've come around to thinking this album is brilliant! - exceptional work here, despite being similar in style to Blumenkraft... There's a lot of beautiful detail, the melodies are excellent, and the soundscapes and so forth are very deep and psychedelic...

First-rate journey music...

Agreed, although I thought it was brilliant from the first listen. :lol: