Now that Ticon has jumped to the better place of trance

NEMO.BOFH

jeff mills playing this kinda stuff? SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Posted Image

Granted, I havent seen him in a while, but I find that very hard to believe.

But, what am I arguing with you in the first place, since we seem to be the only two people on here who like this record.

No, I said that wrong, the CLUB plays that kind of stuff as well :) Not Jeff haha :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This album is kind of disappointing, and I've more or less loved everything Ticon's done in the past. Whereas their last album had only 2 or 3 songs that were not fuckin' excellent, this one is generally just above the mean, with only a couple songs that are blinders. I'd still call it a 8/10, but I've come to expect a 12/10 from these guys. :P I guess my main complaint is that (for the most part) they are just rehashing that whole electrohouse thing which has been done to fucking death in the last couple years. Yeah, they are putting their own flavor on it. Yeah, it's going to rock the dancefloors. Yeah, I'll probably be jumping up & down screaming like a little girl whenever I hear half of these tracks at a summer festival. And yeah, they are doing it better than 99% of the electroproghouseclones, but it's still not much of anything new, and for the first time since probably their debut album, you can more or less classify this album (with the exception of a couple tracks) under one general label - electro-house.

That said, "Spitfire" & "Weekend Warriors" fucking rock and are a cut above the rest of the album, period. I don't even know what you'd call them - beefed-up techno? Spitfire especially.... :blink: Not that I had any specific musical expectations for the album, but that's the sort of unclassifiable innovation in sound I'd expect from these guys. Try to listen to it loudly on headphones and not start pumping your fist and spontaneously screaming out "Javol!" like some methed-out Brandenburg techno-prole. :ph34r:

To Rino, you have some very good points there (i oversimplified a lot), i still maintain you couldnt sell this in the techno scene.

If they would press "Spitfire" to a single and put a proper bleepin' stripped-down remix on the flipside, I could see it getting play even in the ultra-snobby Berlin techno scene.

With the rest of it - yeah, the techno scene would take a shit on it.

jeff mills playing this kinda stuff? SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Posted Image

Granted, I havent seen him in a while, but I find that very hard to believe.

But, what am I arguing with you in the first place, since we seem to be the only two people on here who like this record.

I really find that hard to believe too... saw him play a few months ago, and it for sure wasn't nineties electro-pop. ;)

[e]sorry N3M0, replied too fast

I know what Jeff plays, I am a big fan, and yeah, i would also say SY WUT if he played one single track of this Ticon album... Im just saying with this that going to clubs here does not seem to be so "elitist" "only techno!!!" its like going to oldschool rave parties in Sweden, you have loads of genres in one party and THAT, well THAT is :posford: :posford: :posford: :posford:

This album is kind of disappointing, and I've more or less loved everything Ticon's done in the past. Whereas their last album had only 2 or 3 songs that were not fuckin' excellent, this one is generally just above the mean, with only a couple songs that are blinders. I'd still call it a 8/10, but I've come to expect a 12/10 from these guys. :P I guess my main complaint is that (for the most part) they are just rehashing that whole electrohouse thing which has been done to fucking death in the last couple years. Yeah, they are putting their own flavor on it. Yeah, it's going to rock the dancefloors. Yeah, I'll probably be jumping up & down screaming like a little girl whenever I hear half of these tracks at a summer festival. And yeah, they are doing it better than 99% of the electroproghouseclones, but it's still not much of anything new, and for the first time since probably their debut album, you can more or less classify this album (with the exception of a couple tracks) under one general label - electro-house.

That said, "Spitfire" & "Weekend Warriors" fucking rock and are a cut above the rest of the album, period. I don't even know what you'd call them - beefed-up techno? Spitfire especially.... :blink: Not that I had any specific musical expectations for the album, but that's the sort of unclassifiable innovation in sound I'd expect from these guys. Try to listen to it loudly on headphones and not start pumping your fist and spontaneously screaming out "Javol!" like some methed-out Brandenburg techno-prole. :ph34r:

If they would press "Spitfire" to a single and put a proper bleepin' stripped-down remix on the flipside, I could see it getting play even in the ultra-snobby Berlin techno scene.

With the rest of it - yeah, the techno scene would take a shit on it.

Well said, Fluffy!

Even though my standout track is 1987, but im more into pretty melodies than you anyways. Spitfire is awesome, and i have a weak spot for "in the box", i think that sample is funny "my mouse is pretty cool, it doesnt even have to go to school". Ticon always had a sense of humour.

And i would agree, Spitfire is the most techno-friendly on here, with a remix on the flip you could sell it in the techno scene.

To Nemo, its really hard to find mixed music parties in germany, except the big summer festivals, and even then they have different floors for each type of music. I guess germans have always been to dogmatic for their own good...

I'm liking it more and more with each listen.

And I doubt this is something acts like Vbrasphere and Antix could ever follow. This talented duo are not acting as role models this time around. Ticon chose a road hard to pursue here, a lot of people out there will try to bury this album six feet under ground, but I can see it outshining all the negative critics in the near future and getting the props I most sincerly feel it deserves.

Then, on the other hand, I am starting to appreciate releases like this one all the more as my interest in the psy scene is unfortunately starting to diminish. Nothing against the music, its quality, the labels or the artists, it's just that an album like Ticon's newest effort gives me more chills down my spine than my top 5 psy trance albums for 2007. I can't explain it, but I don't want to. Why even bother when it feels so good and stamps ridiculous smiles all over my face.

Way to go Ticon. Bravo! :posford:

to paraphrase hunter s thompson, i feel the same about electro as i do about herpes.

i feel the same about psytrance as I feel about lung cancer, i dont stop smoking cause of that though :P

and i have a weak spot for "in the box", i think that sample is funny "my mouse is pretty cool, it doesnt even have to go to school". Ticon always had a sense of humour.

I like the track, really, but I hate her voice. It's TERRIBLE! Makes me wanna run away. It's so bad it ruins the whole track for me...

I like the track, really, but I hate her voice. It's TERRIBLE! Makes me wanna run away. It's so bad it ruins the whole track for me...

Nahh, i think the lyrics are funny :) It's wierd in a good way imo.

Didn't listen to 80'th synthpop, but can't believe this is the same.. To my ears it's almost like electro, but still a little different...

We're shining just makes me so happy, listened to that track on my way to work the last couple of days... It wasn't what i expected, and i needed a little "ear-tuning" but now i like this album from beginning to the end.. it's growing on me for every listen...

And Yeah yeah yeah, i know, my taste is bad, hallocinogen is the bomb jiggy, i suck, you guys are the best :) But damn i like this album

Don't confuse between me being sober and having a bad taste. No drugs in the world will make me liking this silly soup of noises

You cant hear the music in dark psy then. i know lots of people who just dont get it .. no point in slagging off the entire genre as a silly soup of noises.

• 2 weeks later...

FLAME WARNING.

Just listened to the newest album. Thank god it's over.

Surely one of the worst album's I've heard in a while. Right down there on the terrible-scale with the two Cradle Of Filth-albums I listened to.

I've heard every aspect of that album before. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes enjoy electrohouse at parties, but it's so overplayed nowadays that it makes me sick.

How is this possible:

1st album: Awesome. One of my oldest favourites.

2nd album: Nice. Couple of incredibly good tracks, the rest average.

3rd album: Mediocre. Couple of decent tracks, the rest forgettable.

4th album: Crap Of The Worst Kind. Not a single good note or sound.