Fellow Renoise users

So I had this idea that maybe those of us who use Renoise could possibly make some kind of collective track. For example, one person starts out with a basic bassline or melody, then passes the .xrns to the next person, who then adds more, and so on.

Not sure how feasible it would be, or if anyone would even be willing to do it, but it seemed to me that it could have a lot of potential to create some really crazy stuff, and maybe help us all grow as Renoise users, and help those of us less familiar with the program to learn new ways to use it... But I could just be an optimistic visionary with no basis in Reality... Hehe.

So, if we do decide to get something going, I'd like to propose a few parameters.

1. If using hardware or commercial soft synths, for the benefit of those of us poor monkeys, please output the track into a sample/samples so we can all hear it, and if using free vsts, give a link or something, or even better upload them along with the .xrns.

2. To avoid confusion and divergence, only one person at a time works on the track... Somehow we could make a rotation schedule... like every 2 weeks ___ sends it to ____. Or something.

Like I said its just an idea, and potentially a harebrained one at that... Let me know what ya think.

(Oh, and if you don't yet have Renoise v1.9, GET IT NOW. Click for Backstage login)

I like it, and would be an active particpant, but...I can't add any cool sounds aside from raw synth sounds :) I don't have an eventide orville or tc 3000 and the likes....because I am poor....or rather, more into raw synth sounds ;)

If I am the last person the track makes it to...I'm so there! :) By that time, I will have added a few quality fx to my list of equipment and I don't know how the computer works for hardware synths yet and fear it'd be distasteful to me aside from sequencing and a computer drum machine.

On that note, I raise my hand to participate all things considered.

-d

Any contribution works! Mainly Im curious to see if the way I do it is in any way similar to anyone else's methods... And Im curious to see what a bunch of different artists can do together, even if we're on different ends of the earth...

I also had the idea that it would be totally awesome and 1337 if we found someone to code a demo to the track, in true oldschool demoscene mod style! A tribute to trackers... B)

Any contribution works! Mainly Im curious to see if the way I do it is in any way similar to anyone else's methods... And Im curious to see what a bunch of different artists can do together, even if we're on different ends of the earth...

I also had the idea that it would be totally awesome and 1337 if we found someone to code a demo to the track, in true oldschool demoscene mod style! A tribute to trackers... B)

.IT it NOW!

I think that was the oldskool tracker file extension, right?

On any note, cool. I can get the prophet 5 to be pretty liquidy with the silly CEm filter, I wish it were a revision 2, with ssm and that's kind of why I bought a polysix ;) because I want a synth with SSM filters, yummmmy solid liquid goodness.

I don't track, but whatever. I'm in Minnesota, so there's two from the states. Antic uses Renoise [the reason I use it was because of him talking about it hah, I love it!] soooooooo he may be down, but I don't think there are many renoise abusers here. I hope more come out to play, this would be fun,e specially if it were like a Juno Reactor Luciana 64 minute track of pure global human dominance within the music arena, hah.

We could release it on Suntrip [per Anoebis' and Mars' permission ;)] as "Psynews Renoise Project - Global Chaos in Harmony" since after all, the world's pretty fucked up and...we it would become a global project, hah! OKay, I am thinking too far ahead of myself, but...it would be cool :)

-d

Oh, I really should mention that it would probably be best to do the VST/computer guys first, and then all the hardware guys taking turns as last, because ultimately, everybody else is going to have to use a VST to emulate our hardware ;) and I have yet to learn how to use a VST although I'm sure it's as simple as loading it through your front end, or Renoise in my case.

-d

yeah, VSTs are pretty easy to get a feel for. Some of them are pretty out there as far as sound and interface, some designers are pretty weird... hehe...

There arent too many Renoise users anywhere, really, which is sorta why I'd like to get us all together (so we can talk shit about Cubase and Logic users :lol: ) and see what happens, even if its a disaster.

Those good ol' Impulse days... .it was Impulse's file extension, Impulse was like a bigger/better version of Scream Tracker which of course is a bigger/better version of all those old Amiga and Commodore trackers. Hehe, mod tracking began as a way to create music using the piezo-buzzer in oldschool machines (you know, the thing inside that beeps when the comp is angry). Its amazing that those old tracks sound even halfway decent, and some are actually really good. Not bad for 4 tracks max, heh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dudes :D

Another Renoise Tracker over here. Would love to be involved!

I just droped Ableton / Reason / Logic to for Renoise and so far its been the most rewarding sequencer I have used - brings me back to the FT2 days ;)

Any one of you produce dark / goa? Can I puleaaasee see someones XRNS file for sequencing tips :D

Count me in, guys! One thing though - I think we should limit ourselves to samples and/or free VSTs only. It will be much easier for all of us to handle the project.

Can I puleaaasee see someone's XRNS file for sequencing tips :D

Sure, here's a track I've started long time ago (not finished, unfortunately).

Count me in, guys! One thing though - I think we should limit ourselves to samples and/or free VSTs only. It will be much easier for all of us to handle the project.

How about we just go totally sample based and no VSTS (for now) just use all the built in FX. I don't think all of us are on the same platform. I for one track out of a mac!

Ok - Who's gonna start?

How about we just go totally sample based and no VSTS (for now) just use all the built in FX. I don't think all of us are on the same platform. I for one track out of a mac!

+1. Let's start it simple and we'll see what comes out of it.

Ok - Who's gonna start?

I won't. Firstly, I can't promise anything unless I work under deadline (which would be the case if I was second/third etc.), secondly I often get much more inspiration from other's work.

+1. Let's start it simple and we'll see what comes out of it.

I won't. Firstly, I can't promise anything unless I work under deadline (which would be the case if I was second/third etc.), secondly I often get much more inspiration from other's work.

Ah man, this makes it hard! Okay, if somebody helps me get into the VST world, I would love to participate. Hell, I'll even start off. Just let's set the VST standards now and somebody post a link where to get them all. So we all can do it..I can figure the rest out once I have them. I'm really not that stupid. :)

So let's rock....

-d

Ah man, this makes it hard! Okay, if somebody helps me get into the VST world, I would love to participate. Hell, I'll even start off. Just let's set the VST standards now and somebody post a link where to get them all. So we all can do it..I can figure the rest out once I have them. I'm really not that stupid. :)

So let's rock....

-d

Yo D.

We don't even need the VSTs. Lets just use all samples and the built in effects and all that wonderful hex wizardry :D

I use mainly VSTs... Haven't bothered with hex since Modplug Tracker all those years ago... And Im afraid Ive forgotten... Anyway I get pretty decent sound from free VSTi's.

Which can all be had here: http://www.kvraudio.com Great and comprehensive search engine. You can also find pretty much anything in VST or AU format, as well as hosts and utilities and more and more... Ive spent hours on there and barely scratched the surface...

A good list of VSTi's that I use frequently:

Synth1!! (Best Ive found for those crackly mechanoidal lysergic lines, crank that FM! Be sure to get v1.07.)

reFX Claw (Pared WAY down version of reFX's famous commercial, Vanguard. Basic but effective!)

EZPoly (Yeah, just like it says, a really easy to use polyphonic)

Crystal (Excellent sweeps and atmospheres, takes a bit to get used to the strange interface though)

Delay Lama (Everyone knows this one, I try not to use it often, as its too... Too played out, and too noticeable.)

Steinberg Neon (Nice analogish sounds, and a nice bass if you're so inclined)

Drumatic 3 (Drum kit, customizable to all hell)

EVM Isotope (Tons of nice presets, and tons of room for tweak-ification)

INTRO (Really, really nice sounds, though, they tend to be very soft. W/Renoise v 1.9's Maximizer its all good though)

MDA JX10 (Pretty basic but some nice sounds)

Microgram M1 (Good Moogish analogish type rackmount-emulation)

Sequin (Fully tweakable arpeggiator)

There are so many more... So many odd strange instruments (check out those made by Krakli :ph34r: )... Some are just basically SFX generators, some are soundfont loaders, some are samplers... etc.

These I mentioned are pretty much all I frequently use (besides the Delay Lama).

Here's a basic bassline the way I do it, just a basic D bass, D kick. Feel free to tweak and change whatever. Its pretty rough, I just busted it out in like 2 minutes. But its a good example. (Made using v1.9, update if you haven't!)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6vn82y

Maybe, we could start out with just one pattern, one person could add/change something, pass it on, add more patterns, pass it on, add some synths or whatever. Open ended is the name of the game! Craziness is encouraged, so long as it sounds relatively decent (or not, Im sure some of us can clean up dirty sounds).

I use mainly VSTs... Haven't bothered with hex since Modplug Tracker all those years ago... And Im afraid Ive forgotten... Anyway I get pretty decent sound from free VSTi's.

Synth1!! (Best Ive found for those crackly mechanoidal lysergic lines, crank that FM! Be sure to get v1.07.)

reFX Claw (Pared WAY down version of reFX's famous commercial, Vanguard. Basic but effective!)

EZPoly (Yeah, just like it says, a really easy to use polyphonic)

Crystal (Excellent sweeps and atmospheres, takes a bit to get used to the strange interface though)

Delay Lama (Everyone knows this one, I try not to use it often, as its too... Too played out, and too noticeable.)

Steinberg Neon (Nice analogish sounds, and a nice bass if you're so inclined)

Drumatic 3 (Drum kit, customizable to all hell)

EVM Isotope (Tons of nice presets, and tons of room for tweak-ification)

INTRO (Really, really nice sounds, though, they tend to be very soft. W/Renoise v 1.9's Maximizer its all good though)

MDA JX10 (Pretty basic but some nice sounds)

Microgram M1 (Good Moogish analogish type rackmount-emulation)

Sequin (Fully tweakable arpeggiator)

Looks like I can't play. I use a mac. And most of the synthedit-based VSTs are Windows only ...

Oh well.

No, no, I was just naming what I use. You of course can use .au files, right? Renoise will run those? (Ive never tried...) If not, you can always sample them.

Use whatever you like, but if its hardware, commercial, or other than Windows OS, just render whatever to a sample(s). B)

No, no, I was just naming what I use. You of course can use .au files, right? Renoise will run those? (Ive never tried...) If not, you can always sample them.

Use whatever you like, but if its hardware, commercial, or other than Windows OS, just render whatever to a sample(s). B)

Well, not everyone is registred to be able to render things - I'm not.

Besides, rendering to sample means that the project will grow big very soon.

Can't we just stick to simple samples and see if anything comes out of it?

Well, not everyone is registred to be able to render things - I'm not.

Besides, rendering to sample means that the project will grow big very soon.

Can't we just stick to simple samples and see if anything comes out of it?

I agree. Give me a couple of days and I'll start something, unless somebody else already is?

I agree. Give me a couple of days and I'll start something, unless somebody else already is?

Not me. Go ahead. I might have couple of more free days next week, so I'll be more than happy to participate :)

Not me either...

I think you, Phobium, are probably the most qualified...