• 120-140 BPM
    • 140-160 BPM
    • 160-180 BPM
    • Gabba, BreakCore, Madness

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:huh: what about music by ishq , elve etc?some of it its absolutely beatless.

BPM is not a kick it's the counts(don't know what its called) of the track, so there doesn't nessesarily have to be a beat! If you take cubase or whatever, and turn the BPM down to 0(if you even can do that) then the music would stop. Therefore there have to be at least 1 BPM, and i seriously doubt that it would be very amusing to listen to :)

BPM is not a kick it's the counts(don't know what its called) of the track, so there doesn't nessesarily have to be a beat! If you take cubase or whatever, and turn the BPM down to 0(if you even can do that) then the music would stop. Therefore there have to be at least 1 BPM, and i seriously doubt that it would be very amusing to listen to :)

wouldnt be interesting to make a loop with 0,0000000000000000001 bpm and some super fast notes...like 2048ths.... haha

There is allways a beat... sometimes it fluctuates a lot but thats different. I guess what they mean by beatless is VERY HARD to pick the beat conciously

Well, no there is some truly beatless ambient out there. No beat, not even the hint of percussion. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean that there is always a beat. Although, a lot of what people describe as beatless actually has subtle beats.

I've heard Ultimae described as beatless ambient but most tracks on ultimae are quite beaty.

Even ishq & his other monikers have slight percussion.

Take Evan Bartholomew's recent work though & you'll see there is nothing in the way of percussion at all for long long periods.

maybe there is a hidden BPM but there is no beat

Well, no there is some truly beatless ambient out there. No beat, not even the hint of percussion. Just because you haven't heard it doesn't mean that there is always a beat. Although, a lot of what people describe as beatless actually has subtle beats.

I've heard Ultimae described as beatless ambient but most tracks on ultimae are quite beaty.

Even ishq & his other monikers have slight percussion.

Take Evan Bartholomew's recent work though & you'll see there is nothing in the way of percussion at all for long long periods.

maybe there is a hidden BPM but there is no beat

beatless and bpm is not the same thing. there is always a timecode, no? An ambient without any kind of beat, just floating sounds, might have a bpm of lets say 100 bpm and a 4/3 beat? I mean, every piece of classical pianowork that I know has a timecode... (That I know of, go flame me if I am wrong hehe) :D

The question should maybe be re-formed... or something. :D

There are some Pete Namlook (and others of course) tracks completely without any beat... it still follows a beat per minute "agenda" :D

:huh: what about music by ishq , elve etc?some of it its absolutely beatless.

No such thing as beatless music. There is a beat but there is no kick drum or any other drum. The music moves than it has a beat, try to put a sequencer on 0BPM and press play.

You are confusing beat with measurement

no no no i meant to use the 4/4 as an example since a lot of trance has 4/4 beats... but i see that its a bit confusing...

i ll just stick to the "no beat waveform" next time.

As people have said you don't need a kick for a track to have a BPM. I can track the bpm of a track (I'd have to compare it to other tracks in my head to get an exact number) and so can everyone just some people need to be more conciously active. I'm sure theres some ambient tracks that suddenly change from 80 bpm to 100 and stuff... but each 2bar loop will have its BPM. Just listen to what a track sounds like when you speed it up by 6% (master tempo on)... it sounds crap! That's because each melody is meant to be at a certain BPM... so if your really good you could probably tell the BPM by the melody alone.

well i voted 140-160, but i like music at all tempo..

there is downtempo at 100 bpm i really like and there is hardcore at 200 bpm which is also really devastating

We all like different tempos, you didn't need to choose only one option... ;)

• 4 weeks later...