what kind of a dj do you prefer?

exotic

what do look for in a dj set/dj ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. given the either or restriction.

• good selection of tunes
    • good mixing skillz
    • something else

There are very few psychedelic dj's ive heard who have leet mixing skillz coupled with stellar track selection. I can only think of audiobrains (one of the best dj sets ive ever heard) : he started slow from tech house / prog to banging morning (triskell , protoculture , allaby , audialize , zen mechanics , lish , intergalactic , melicia , dynamic etc) to hard twilight soutth afrikan style .. (broken toy , shift etc ) from what i remember ...this was about three/four years back.and since then i havent heard a set like that. there is always that something missing .. all dj's generally spin very clubby music these days or some dark music that doesnt make sense . somehow i feel dj's intentionally dont play the real deal.. I think the real hardcore music remains at home for home listening. Its as if they're scared that the dancefloor might explode or they're thinking something like people shouldnt have too much fun or omg that too good to play at a party , the crowd wont be able to handle this so lets give them the commercial crap bullshit . or do dj's see the crowd and play accordingly ? :drama:

So getting to the point ..what is it that you like to hear from a dj .. good selection of tunes with ok to average mixing skillz or average music mixed well? ( since both things are hard to find in dj's these days except nemo of course :lol: )

...i mean i heard a guy cut a track just before the climax and put another....WTF :angry:

thats really pissing off isnt it ...i would demand a refund if i were you.

The combination of mixing skills and track selection. It doesn't matter if you play the best tunes ever if you trainwreck every mix, or if you mix like a god but you only play shitty tunes. It seems to me that the technical aspect of mixing isn't as high within the psy genre as it is in other genres of electronic music. I've met people who don't like tracks being mixed; "the tracks are a journey in them selfs. mixing will ruin that." With those attitudes around, of course there will be shitty djs, people accept it.

I prefer good selection of music, the mixing sills aren´t unimportant but better good music than awesome mixing

+1

Of course if a DJ ruins every mix it sounds shit but only in the transitions. If the DJ plays shit tunes it sounds shit all the way through!

When the party is over, it is what you have done with your tunes that counts and not how have you done it.

It is always amazing to hear a DJ cut 'n' paste with enough skill as though the needles from the records players were mere extensions of his hands, but if the music sucks, there is no rescue...

Both. A dj with good tracks that trainwrecks is just as bad as a dj with shitty tracks but good dj skills.

+1

Not the first time I've seen this kind of thread either. Usually it's based on some argument, that Goa Gil is a good DJ, because he plays the most uberpsychedelik tunes, even though his technical skills are very low.

But - if I was theoretically given the choice, I would probably prefer hearing a beginner DJ playing really good tunes, and making simple fade-transitions in the intros and outros, than hearing a technically great DJ playing shitty music.

+1

Not the first time I've seen this kind of thread either. Usually it's based on some argument, that Goa Gil is a good DJ, because he plays the most uberpsychedelik tunes, even though his technical skills are very low.

But - if I was theoretically given the choice, I would probably prefer hearing a beginner DJ playing really good tunes, and making simple fade-transitions in the intros and outros, than hearing a technically great DJ playing shitty music.

FULLY AGREE

I think the problem (Or not maybe the problem) is that many people that have not experienced a good dj (in both ways) does not know better than just listening to the music and not the mixes, but when there is a flow both music and mixing wise, the experience can not get any better. I like how DJ Anti/Sven Vath/pr0fane ( :P ) and a lot more of course can achieve this. I am of course also from a techno background from ground up, so I am very very used to very very technical djs from the very beginning. Maybe that is what makes me such a critic today, cause I dont settle for some shitty dj that has never been able to mix 2 records together eventho they are the same fucking bpm. :D

I say: BOYCOTT THE CRAP!

thats really pissing off isnt it ...i would demand a refund if i were you.

i wanted to kill that mofo...and on top of it wasnt just any track...it was a track i havent had heard for years,and which used to get spinned quite often in that club a long time ago...so that jackass actually commited blasphemy by desecrating one of the tracks that marked my initiation to electronica and clubbing. :drama:

btw the track is benassi bros - love is gonna save us

somehow i feel dj's intentionally dont play the real deal.. I think the real hardcore music remains at home for home listening. Its as if they're scared that the dancefloor might explode or they're thinking something like people shouldnt have too much fun or omg that too good to play at a party , the crowd wont be able to handle this so lets give them the commercial crap bullshit .

yep. depending on the party, they do. helps them feel bigger.

ANYWAY prefer mixing over track selection??

one doesn't do very well without the other, and i guess that sucks if you aren't seeing GOOD djs who can do both.

I picked Something Else.

To me, a good DJ adds subtle things to the tracks, tastefully, like a little tiny bit of flanger right before the bass kicks back in, that kind of thing. Something more than just playing one track after another, even if the tracks are amazing and the mixing is flawless.

I think that track selection comes first, then mixing (though, as Gil himself has shown this isn't always so important). Mixing should include those little subtle things that make it more than just the original track. Sure, the original producer(s) knew exactly what they wanted, but that doesn't mean they didn't leave things out. Sometimes it takes a fresh unbiased perspective to see the flaws...

And of course, another important thing, even more than track selection, is flow. If the mix has good flow, you lose yourself, lose touch with your body's movements easier, which is the whole idea behind Trance Dance music. Just playing good tracks won't do it, you gotta play good tracks in the proper way so its not so obvious that the next track has started. But also, its not good to play tracks that are TOO similar to one another, then you have the possibility that dancers will get bored of that same sound.

I prefer a DJ who takes all these things into consideration, but above all HAS FUN doing it! Nothing better than a DJ or live act who just LOVES what they're doing. Its anticlimactic to see someone just standing behind the decks looking all serious. Almost like they're at work and would rather do something else...

+1

exactly, its gotta be both, but good tunes and fade-ins and outs do the trick sometimes. One of the most succesful sets i have ever played i got so wasted by the end, that i didnt even try to beatmatch anymore. i just faded in and out of intros and nobody seemed to care. Of course, i was the last dj of the day and this was at 11 in the morning, so that kinda fit the mood of the crowd who was even more faded than me, and i kept going from classic to classic, and i did mix for real the first 3 hours. anyways, everyone who was there loved it despite the mixing.

On the other and, one of the most annoying dj performances i have ever seen was Bad Boy Bill, who has amazing technique (50 records an hour), but his taste in music is more revolting than the insides of a porta-potty at the end of a 5 day festival. DJ Irene is another case in point for this. Oh god, i hate hard house. BTW, anyone know what happened to that style of music, is it still around?

yep. depending on the party, they do. helps them feel bigger.

ANYWAY prefer mixing over track selection??

one doesn't do very well without the other, and i guess that sucks if you aren't seeing GOOD djs who can do both.

actually i havent been for a party with dj's on the line up in a long time. maybe coz there havent been too many events lately. but there were a row of parties when i was an active partygoer where the dj's pissed off the crowd .. or lets say certain sections of the crowd by playing half decent stuff .. then there are those who are just very bad at mixing. i hate a dj who trainwrecks good tracks much more than someone who's playing average music but playing it well.

So i wasnt talking about shitty music but average music. Good>average>shitty

Both. A dj with good tracks that trainwrecks is just as bad as a dj with shitty tracks but good dj skills.

wrong!

i'd prefer a trainwreckin' oldskool dj to a beatsmoochin' shitty isra cheesediareeahj

and he could play shitty oldskool as well... so it's trackz all the way... dj who cant beatmatch just play intro/outro usually which is what i prefer, time to get into the track and live the whole story instead of keepin' on pumpin'

i'd prefer to just intro/outro each track but too much beatfreakz with no style on the dancefloors worldwide

wrong!

i'd prefer a trainwreckin' oldskool dj to a beatsmoochin' shitty isra cheesediareeahj

okey, some people just dont settle for the best, and therefor will always get SHIT. :) Fine with me, as long as we have people like this, we will have shitty djs... which suits me fine, I boycott psy parties anyways at the moment :) So..... WHATEVER! :)

edit: NICE EDIT STRYDR :D:lol:

Oh god, i hate hard house. BTW, anyone know what happened to that style of music, is it still around?

:lol:

Nah, the last compilation I heard bumping out of somebody's stereo containing anything remote to that forgotten genre dates to quite a few years ago. Let alone the last time I heard it on a party... I guess it got ran over by the whole french house wave which seems to be the largest house trend since the invention of colored vinyl.

Operating with state of the art equipment and having the skills of a surgeon won't get a DJ far. If the music does not move the crowds, mixing skills certainly won't. As many stated above, a moderated combo of both works just fine, but I am always more inclined to respect a DJ with mind blowing tunes and modest mixing skills than viceversa.

The heavy weights of electronic music have it all. No wonder they're considered heavy weights then, right...? Er, right, great conclusion :rolleyes: