Eat Static Sample's cd/dvd

in know theres a few eat static fans here so this is for you. they have released a sample cd/dvd packed with goodies.

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/297534...ull_information

EAT STATIC - Around The World In 80 Raves Sample DVD/CD Sample Library Multipack (Audio/Wav/Apple Loops/Rex/Reason/ESX24/Halion/Kontakt)

ive just listerned to the samples and am very impressed. waiting to get my hands on it. hopefully soon.

I bought it. I actually pre-ordered it, but because of the immensely crappy service by the danish postal watchamacallits, I haven't received it yet.

One thing should be said though. The samplemagic crew (thanks Dave!), is bending over backwards to make it come through. I will post a review when it finally comes :) Good or not, I am impressed by samplemagic's service and patience!

- A

I bought it. I actually pre-ordered it, but because of the immensely crappy service by the danish postal watchamacallits, I haven't received it yet.

One thing should be said though. The samplemagic crew (thanks Dave!), is bending over backwards to make it come through. I will post a review when it finally comes :) Good or not, I am impressed by samplemagic's service and patience!

- A

I guess I'll patiently wait then.

Although I want some other cds from Eat Static far more.

So I finally got it. I have very mixed feelings about writing this review... As a sample CD it is a tool for creating music, and the less people who has this, the more "original" my use of it will seem. I know that's whack since I didn't make it in the first place but... you know :)

That being said, I have to say it's really good. Very good. Incredibly good. There are sounds I recognize from pretty much all Eat Statics different styles - the old rubbery and shiny analog stuff from "Implant" and "Abduction", some of the spookier "Science Of The Gods" stuff (best album ever!), some phunky jazzy/swingy latino-like percussion sauce from "Crash and Burn" and "In the Nude" - and some supa-futuclysmic 'scapes out of "Declassified". As an Eat Static related disc, it has pretty much all of it.

Quoting Merv from the inner sleeve: "... the aim of delivering something special that would not only satisfy the hungriest producer, but would aldo stir the imagination to discover new avenues of sound.". I am going to have to disagree a little with the first statement. A hungry producer can always eat more (static), and I had hoped for a bit more singleshot drums and perc. The ones that are there are good, no doubt - but still. The second statement is spot on, though. Listening to the loops, pads and soundscapes instantly magnifies my wish that I had more time to make music. Not only do they inspire pieces of music around them, they also give a lot of hints to new ways of thinking and creating sound from scratch.

That's it I guess - oh, just one more turn off: the pads are not multisampled, so they are hard to tune correctly without mangling them...

All in all an extremely good sample CD, that I will enjoy for a long time. And yes, I *will* hate hearing its' sounds in released material, except in my own. Well, and Eat Static's ;)

- A

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally got it. I have very mixed feelings about writing this review... As a sample CD it is a tool for creating music, and the less people who has this, the more "original" my use of it will seem. I know that's whack since I didn't make it in the first place but... you know :)

Well I've been locked out of the forum for the past month, forgoten password and no remiders being recieved.

However I managed to get the disk just before Christmas, and the samplemagic crew where fantastic. I recieved it next day (in the U.K) even though the post was screwed up by christmas traffic. On top of that, there was a known fault with one the audio CD, Smaple magic not only sent a replacement after christmas, they through in a free sample set just to say sorry.

You're right, there is a lot of great material on the DVD and I'm pleased to say, it's not a "Eat Static" construction kit. As you say there are familiar sounds but you can't just layer stuff to make a soundalike track.

So for the record, here's a track I put together using just samples from the disk, some mangled, some left alone. Listen to "Eat One" at:

http://www.myspace.com/rtwoproject

If it's crap, it's my fault, not the samples form the disk !

Andy

I am going to have to disagree a little with the first statement. A hungry producer can always eat more (static), and I had hoped for a bit more singleshot drums and perc. The ones that are there are good, no doubt - but still.

I have to agree with this, I too had hoped for a fw more single shots and infact afew "clean" drum and bass loops. But then, I was just hoping to deconstruct their way of working....

Andy