The track that made you an electronic music lover

Ormion

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basicly the entire 'Synthesizer Greatest 1' tape: http://www.musicmeter.nl/album/48999

Theme From Antarctica, Axel F, Pulstar, Tubular Bells...

All remakes of classic electronic tracks by some Dutch guy.

I played it endlessly when I was 11, 12 years old. For me it started everything (but the original versions of these tracks are better of course).

Ha, that's exactly the compilation I'm talking about!! :wub: I can't remember if I had the one you posted first or the second compilation of that series. I love both of them anyway.

For me it all started with the music from Laserdance & Koto, followed by MTV's late night chill-out zone show (with FSOL, Orb, Orbital, Underworld, Biochip C, The Grid and the likes). Then of course The Prodigy and early Scooter (Cosmos!!!). I hade a short rommance with minimal techno (Mille Plateux / Tresor stuff - Jeff Mills, The Surgeon, Cristian Vogel, Neil Landstrumm, Ian Pooley etc.) and finally around 1996 I discovered psychedelic trance, when I stumbled upon this.

Oh, the memories :rolleyes:

For me Pink Floyd - On The Run started it all, having grwn up listening to that. After many years away exploring metal, rock, and eventually some classical and jazz as well, while some Juno Reactor stuff from 1993 got my attention, the two tracks that probably officially brought me back completely to electronic music would be Prodigy - Poison which got me actively searching again, followed by DJ Soul Slinger - Abducted (U.F.O. mix) which sealed the deal.

Then came out KLF, in 1988, who have been played on MTV like crazy. I was watching MTV show for years before it turned into complete shit at the end of the nineties. The first tracks I've heard were What Time Is Love (1998) and 3 A.M. Eternal (1989) followed with Last Train To Trancentral (1990). All three great tunes, that I still like.

Hey! I played The KLF for you when you were in Amsterdam, and you had no idea... baaaaaaaad boy.

Hey! I played The KLF for you when you were in Amsterdam, and you had no idea... baaaaaaaad boy.

You played an ambient track by them, which I couldn't recognize on the instant since there are MANY ambient releases and who will remember it all.

I named their dance tracks, that first got me in the electronic music, so.... phuk off :P

I really have no idea what tracks made me love electronic music for the first time, but I imagine it has to have been something like Underworld or The Prodigy... but to be honest, I really don't know. I used to be into hiphop a lot, and well, hiphop really does count as electronic music, but somehow I think it's not really what you're after.

Damn. Hard one, this.

As strange as it might sound, I loved electronic music/sounds ever since. Couldn't get myself to like rock or pop, it had to be electronic stuff, even if it was cheesy eurodance because that was the only stuff that got played on the radio back then.

Scooter was part of that too ... I liked Scooter. But they didn't really TRIGGER the love for electronic music, you know...

The track where it could be said of that it triggered the love for trance music in me was Disco Citizens - Footprint ('97 revamp edit). It was on Dream Dance 5, I remember. Actually the whole CD triggered my venturing into trance music. And I then bought some used Dream Dance and later on some Future Trance compilations, haha. Nearly all of them used though, couldn't afford new ones. That's how I came to gems like Dream Dance vol. 2 or Future Trance vol. 4 ... these can nowadays actually be considered as some contemporary documents of old commercial trance music I'd say.

That's how it started ... and then at some point in 2001 I went over to psy (fortunately ... I'd nearly have become one of the techno chavs :P ).

My interest in synthesizers goes back a ways, but the track that got me into electronica in 1997, and then psytrance a little later, was a track called Skank by Higher Intelligence Agency, on an album called Freefloater, on the Waveform label, from the mid-90s.

Kraftwerk - The Mix .. i was maybe 8-9 and the robots in the cover were so cool

Mine was Kraftwerk as well, the very first electronic beat I've heard - MUSIC NON STOP, so raw, so great ! :D

Everything You Always Wanted to Hear on the Moog*

- when I was about 7 I guess. Then when I was a young teenager, Art of Noise - Close to the Edit and all subsequent albums,

Propaganda and many other of Trevor Horn's productions, as well as the album 'Time' by ELO.

*but were afraid to ask for

Art of Noise - Close to the Edit and all subsequent albums

Art of Noise was big for me too. Also Tomita, lots and lots of 80s synth pop, and electronic new age music like early David Arkenstone. The first thing that really hooked me was Wendy Carlos' Switched on Bach when I was a tiny person.

I love Spacemen 3 ! Great psychedelic music ! But I can't call them electronic... :unsure:

a few of their tracks are electronic enough it got me interested- those guys were playing a few other things as well.

scoff cruddle- nice link, that's a great track, and fairly definitive of the early good stuff