Aerosis Updates and News

Aerosis

Greetings everyone at psynews! Over the course of the next dozen or so days we will be putting up some tracks to give you guys something to enjoy for the time being. I'd like to present you with an alternative view on psychedelic music and to bring it's story back towards the direction it initially was taking, one of rich and vibrant open-air trance experience.

Today we start with the track that started off our album. This track, like the album, is called Leap of Faith, and with it comes a very fluid, booming and dusty outdoor sound, a style that we hope will define the music.

Listen to it at Beatbiz.net

Aerosis - Leap of Faith - 9:49 - 146 bpm

Aerosis' goal is to bring forth innovative new goa trance full of new sounds and variety and otherwise continue pushing the frontier that was established in the late 90s. Aerosis formed in the summer of 2006 and has been working on music for their project ever since. Their name was popularized when the first track they did together, Contorsion, was released under Suntrip Record's esteemed compilation Twist Dreams. The project consists of artists Bobby Ognyanov (Synogen) and Tempestuous G / Jagno Gaia (Jeremy Green), both age 19, and both producing solo and collaboratively since 2004.

More music is to follow! And as always our myspace is frequently updated with samples or previews of new tracks. Check it out for some exlusives: http://www.myspace.com/aerosis Feedback is much appreciated!

Oh, thanks for pointing out :) Yeah I'm interested in comments like this if people feel there is something that really irks them, likewise if there is something they really like. More often than not, some things that one person doesn't like is what another does like, so I take comments with a grain of salt, but otherwise take them very seriously

Thanks amphiton

[edit] Actually, if Jon Cocco was here... ;)

Hehehe

And now for some recent work.

Aerosis - Desert Metaphor - 10:15 - 144 bpm

Desert Metaphor is a night style track, it progresses very slowly and tells a long and twisted tale. At times dark, at times mystic, and all done with a modern approach and influence. People who liked Contorsion should be happy with this one.

Check it out at Beatbiz.net

Aerosis - Leap of Faith - 9:49 - 146 bpm

Glad I caught this thread. Leap of Faith is a great track. It's interesting, involving, and evolving throughout. Hands down the best Aerosis track I've heard to date. I'd give this a B+

Great! Really awesome track there :) The only disturbing thing is @ 6:20 when some strange repeating out-of-nowhere sounds come into play.

I heard the section from 5:50 to 6:50 many times to pick up on this and see if it's the "sound" I think it may be. Is amphiton referring to the sound that begins not at 6:20 but at 5:56 exactly? It repeats again at exactly 6:10, and again at 6:18, and at 6:22, and 6:25, and 6:31, and one last time at 6:36. I'm pretty sure that's it because it seems to repeat too many times beginning at the 6:22 mark. Initially I really liked it, beginning at 5:56. The "repeating sound" does seem to take place too often past 6:18. It's distracting in my opinion. I would cut it out past 6:18 and everything else sounds wonderful. Less is more with this one. And you'll have a song that is not potentially distracting in a negative way as a whole.

One last minor nitpick observation. At 6:27 it sounds like someone is quickly saying "Hey" or an out of place super brief, irritating sound bit takes place in the background. At first I thought I was hearing things. Liek someone was in the background saying "J." What is that? Why is it here? Where did it come from? I don't know what that tiny dot is but it doesn't sound right. I used to be a sound engineer and had to go through sound waves hundreds of times per day at times to "perfect" the smallest things. I'm aware of the "concept" associated to editing/mixing regardless that I've had no hands-on experience creating Goa to date. That "ahy" I'd remove even if hardly anyone notices it. It isn't necessary and does not enhance the track in any way. It also takes place at 7:33. The only exception to keep this, is if it isn't an error but an actual illusion in sound/melody overlap due to the frequency and/or [whatever it's called in mixing, I forget] when one sound crosses another and created an unintentional, distorted sound. Sometimes these things happen even if two sounds are in sync, the note combinations will create a totally unique effect for better or worse. But these moments take place so infrequently here. I'd investigate it to see what it is, just to make sure whether it's fixable without compromising the solid track.

And now for some recent work.

Aerosis - Desert Metaphor - 10:15 - 144 bpm

Desert Metaphor is a night style track, it progresses very slowly and tells a long and twisted tale. At times dark, at times mystic, and all done with a modern approach and influence. People who liked Contorsion should be happy with this one.

Check it out at Beatbiz.net

Is this Aerosis doing dark/twisted Goa? This is one twisted and strange little creature. I like the melody alterations. It builds up really nicely into the Goa band from 2:33 to 3:23. The following transition (of sorts) is catchy too. From 5:52 to 6:17 showcase some really catchy melody work. The song's overall style and approach sounds fresh to my ears. This is a good song. It's interesting and danceable. Keep up the risk taking! And don't hesitate to exercise your skills with a super climactic and infectious psychedelic Goa number (or two) in your imaginative style and vision if a main album is released by Aerosis. The possibilities are endless.

So why exactly is it you don't produce music, jon? ;)

Yeap, the way that sound is used in terms of composition is reffered to as a "verb", or atleast in my world and terms thats what its called. One must eventually begin to name the elements you hear in music in order to be able to talk about them. A verb is usually small swelling effect, or a short stab at some keys that happens at the end of a measure in different ways to create anticipation in the way a rythm develops. Psytrance uses this to no end. (a measure = 16 kicks or 16 beats, at the end of it is a crash). Psytrance uses these to no end. So I'm aware why its distracting, the timing of it is maybe off-rythm (it does not occur when you expecct it to) and the sound is too in your face drawing attention away from the subtle effects. I did it right before 6:18, and overused after that, so yes you're right Jon. When I go back to polish up this track i'll likely try to incorporate this verb effect in a different way, the song would not be better without that verb there since it sets pace and direction, and if it were gone I'd be getting comments right now saying that section seems abit empty and directionless.

At 6:27 it sounds like someone is quickly saying "Hey" or an out of place super brief, irritating sound bit takes place in the background. At first I thought I was hearing things.

:lol: yeah you are hearing things, but I've had that happen to me so many times too listening to tracks. What you are hearing is the cutoff sweeping down on that background pad playing the whole time, and the resonance sweeping up abit - enough to make it whispy I guess. Theres loads of these dynamics all over the track, most of them done live with a controller from beginning to end of the track - that makes things alot groovier but opens up alot more room for little unintended things like this, though I'm also sure 85% of people will never notice this or interpret it like that.

So thats the technical response to this lovely feedback, the short version is - yup I know exactly whats bugging you about it and will fix it =) Thanks everyone, its wonderful discussing music like this with people who really can get into it with you.

And don't hesitate to exercise your skills with a super climactic and infectious psychedelic Goa number (or two)

Yes sir, I think that would be splendid as well :) They're comming along, its all still a learning process, and the good news is that it likely always will be so :) Our interest is in exploring new territory rather than grabbing onto one style, or rehashing a specific vibe from 1997. This can be both a good thing or a bad thing, but in my opinion the new school artists right now definitely aren't experimenting as much as I wish they would, with the exception of merrow and khetzal, and in small ways filteria and goasia.

So why exactly is it you don't produce music, jon? ;)

That's actually a good question. I got in a pretty bad car accident before the turn of the 21st century and had to drop out of college because of health issures (neck/back) related to the accident. I'm back in school now, after a 7 year hiatus but sitting is still uneasy. It was at home in 2000, that I spent most of my time on the cpu around physical therapy rehab. I began playing around one day on an outdated software program called Goldwave. Through extensive hours of exploring and experimenting with virtually every aspect of the program, I edited/mixed a comedy album with a group of friends for fun. I self taught myself the program inside and out, until I graduated, so to speak, to master something else. Two years later (2002, 2003) a friend of mine and I decided to try our skills with hip hop (!). We were inspired, creative yahoo's, don't ask. My friend bought a 76-key Korg Triton and found us a good backbeat guy that could produce what I wanted (powerful and emotive, catchy melodic beats). This project brought me to Cubase and other programs. I soon found myself in the studio, buying time with friends and replacing the sound engineer. I cut and mixed over 100 tracks, remixed several beats, composed few, and more. This went on for 8-12 hours a day (almost every day) for 1-2 years until I began developing wrist problems, from the car accident and all the typing. My back got worse too. We were asked to open for Twisted (the ICP-esque hip hop cult group) but I did not have the energy to tour if various people wanted us to tour. Granted, I brought fresh dynamics and controversy to hip hop but I didn't want to be potentially famous for stylish shock value, or saying certain things not true to what I belive. Before things could go further, I had a talk with my friend and we decided to dissolve the group. My passion and goal is to become a director of Indie feature films that make theatrical release. I would also love to cut a Goa album one day. I thought this wasn't possible before Suntrip Records proved to the world that anything is possible. Naturally I'm on a tight budget and continue to have some issues with the cpu and such, but I would love to one day invest the time, energy, heart, and spirit into what I consider a superb, new-school Goa album. And then you guys/girls can criticize the crap out of me. :) I have no idea how to make Goa to date. Naturally playing with Garage Band has taught me some tricks similar to Cubase however. I "get" certain concepts but finding the tunes and sounds and putting everything together is another thing. I believe someone will help guide me and raise my level of knowledge and awareness if the time ever comes. I'm just putting that out there to Universe. So unfortunately things are complicated in my life right now to produce music, otherwise I'd love to and potentially party and/or work with some of you creative artists' day. Who knows what the future will bring. Anything is possible. :)

Yeap, the way that sound is used in terms of composition is reffered to as a "verb", or atleast in my world and terms thats what its called. When I go back to polish up this track i'll likely try to incorporate this verb effect in a different way, the song would not be better without that verb there since it sets pace and direction, and if it were gone I'd be getting comments right now saying that section seems abit empty and directionless.

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know. Yeah I think it sounds good just the way it is, right up until the 6:20 or 6:22 mark. Naturally if you have a more interesting idea without making this cool, little detail seem overdone I'd be interested to hear it. Several brief trims however will save you guys both the time and energy since the track feels so complete.

What you are hearing is the cutoff sweeping down on that background pad playing the whole time, and the resonance sweeping up abit - enough to make it whispy I guess. Theres loads of these dynamics all over the track, most of them done live with a controller from beginning to end of the track - that makes things alot groovier but opens up alot more room for little unintended things like this, though I'm also sure 85% of people will never notice this or interpret it like that.

Interesting. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy then. :D:)