Let's talk about Downloading and piracy

Ormion

A painting is also just a piece of canvas with paint on it, but it will always be better than a digital image created in Photoshop.

I can't see the point here. How many paints do you have at home? How many average person here has? An original one, not reproduction, poster or a such. I got none.

It's not about heat emissions. It's about manufacturing a piece of ecological disaster in billions when you have alternatives. This isn't about CD Players.

I don't know if you are serious with your environment point but if you are: if to you CDs that are actually used again and again for listening to the music that is on them are a problem, then what do you think about the CDRs (not only music but all kind of data) that people burn and then throw away because they are scratched, the data is not used anylonger or whatever? Or atomic waste or any other garbage we humans produce. Imho music CDs are not exactly the bigest problem or pollution from what I can tell.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if you are serious with your environment point but if you are: if to you CDs that are actually used again and again for listening to the music that is on them are a problem, then what do you think about the CDRs (not only music but all kind of data) that people burn and then throw away because they are scratched, the data is not used anylonger or whatever? Or atomic waste or any other garbage we humans produce. Imho music CDs are not exactly the bigest problem or pollution from what I can tell.

I was talking about CD/DVD/HDDVD/Blu Ray and everything in between. It's all pollution that can be replaced and will be replaced by future's storage solution.

Daniel> Regarding the HD-DVD VS Blu Ray issue, check the new Apple TV scheme and start counting back the life of these formats.

And a bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=friS4OOcdgQ&eurl=

1. Do you download music from the web? Any kind of music. How much? How often?

I did it moderately (at average) in the past. It got less and less and less. Back in Audiogalaxy times I downloaded a lot. Then they closed it ... and I was finally occupied to actually listen to all the stuff. Then I got Kazaa and then eDonkey and eMule, which also went down the drain after some time for me. Then I switched to Soulseek ... that was three years ago, actually quite precise since it was in winter 2004. And since I got Soulseek the downloads have really gone low. In the whole three years I downloaded maybe 5 GB of data ... that's not much.

2. Do you download specifically Psytrance releases?

Mmh, yes. Specific tracks. Compilation tracks of Matenda for example, where I don't wanna pay 15 Euros for the CD when it's only 1 track that interests me...

3. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the music industry?

Not at all. These bastards have 1001 backup plans and cross-financing with copyrights from film soundtracks to radio stations ... every MTV song played cashes in at the company and every radio song as well. These bastards deserve to roast in hell. I don't buy CDs of the big ones. I don't even listen to mp3s of them, doesn't interest me at all. And if I really wanted something I get it used so that the industry doesn't see a cent ... popular music you get thrown after you at CD markets and all that...

4. Do you think that downloading (and any other forms of piracy) really hurt the Psytrance industry?

Totally. It's the reason why I finally hardly download anymore and buy stuff instead. In the last 3 years I bought five times as much stuff as the size of my releases collection was before (yes, it was VERY small, I assure you). I really want to support now. Even if I don't have much money.

5. Would you like a world that every new album/comp would be released only in the web?

No, I wouldn't ... I'd whine after the good old CD. Actually I already whine more after the good old vinyl, but that one is practically nearly dead anyway :(

1. Yes, I download free dj mixes and free tracks. Never pirated material. I have pirated stuff in the past, long ago before I realized I'd rather show respect to the artists by buying their releases than scurrying about in the catacombs stealing scraps.

2. Yes, for the most part the mixes and free tracks are psytrance.

3. No, I don't think downloading hurts the industry. To me its a matter of respect, if the artist chose to give their tracks away, thats one thing, but pirating, IMO, is like walking into a friends house, heading straight for the refrigerator, and helping yourself to whatever's inside, without even asking, or even saying 'hi' to your friend. What do you think your friend's reaction would be? Even if, if you just asked, they'd give you whatever you wanted from the fridge. I'm sure it wouldn't be 'Sure, yeah, why don't you just eat all my food without asking, PLEASE!'

It doesn't really affect sales, as any artist can tell you most money from sales go to the distributors, then the label, then the sound engineers and artists who mastered and beautified the release, then whatever's left goes to the artist. ALl those middlemen, and if you consider the cost of a CD thats NOT A LOT, especially considering the small lots psytrance gets released in, where 500 pressings is a LOT... The real money is of course made by playing live and touring. And even then, its a rare artist in this scene who can make enough doing that to live off of...

4. Yes and No... As Ive outlined above its not releases that make money. What I see it hurting, is the staying power of good releases. If you're just d/ling a release, at least, when I've downloaded releases in the dim past, you just don't take it as seriously as hardcopy. Its just another tune to digest then excrete and forget about. Its cheapening the whole community, people just think of it like drugs, never appreciating what they've already got, always seeking more, different excitement... Helping to bring about the problems we're seeing all over the world, with promoter politics, 'producers' stealing from real artists, djs who downloaded their entire repertoire... Cheapening psytrance and causing it to become just as shallow and essentially valueless as mainstream EDM has become.

5. no, because if the Web were to (heaven forbid) ever face a catastrophic failure (discounting the possibility is foolish) and be completely wiped from the earth somehow, all those releases would vanish forever. All the eggs in one basket is not a good plan.

What if stealing and other forms of immoral behavior was what the world used to oppress those living upon it?

For example every-time you downloaded an album that allowed a person some day to "screw you up the ass".

a girl or boy you liked to lie to you and treat horribly and make you waste away yourself... for so long... I mean your only young once.

I mean it's kind of equivalent...

What if it in fact works that way?

What if...

It has always worked that way: As one feeds off another it cascades and compounds upon itself?

What if pirating music is synonymous of "original sin" so to speak?

well just something to worry about - if you like... ;)

What if stealing and other forms of immoral behavior was what the world used to oppress those living upon it?

For example every-time you downloaded an album that allowed a person some day to "screw you up the ass".

a girl or boy you liked to lie to you and treat horribly and make you waste away yourself... for so long... I mean your only young once.

I mean it's kind of equivalent...

What if it in fact works that way?

What if...

It has always worked that way: As one feeds off another it cascades and compounds upon itself?

What if pirating music is synonymous of "original sin" so to speak?

well just something to worry about - if you like... ;)

Please explain to me how pirating is like stealing or bad in anyway DIRECTLY.

People not buying stuff is seperate.

the downloading isnt the problem indeed.. its the not buying albums anymore..

I dont feel even a little bit bad about downloading simply because i have been giving more to the music scene than ever (ie buying cd's, downloading from beatport, inviting artists to play, releasing music, etc). Downloading is as nemo said a (good!) substitute for being in the recordstore for 4 hours..

prolly right about that supergrover.

If i wasn't downloading I would not be participating at all.

But when I do really like a artist I do buy that album

Like recently I bought Chi AD's tracks... paid 10 bucks for 4 mp3s and I don't regret it.

I'm glad to support Chi AD even though I didn't get a CD or any material for it.

But I do enjoy getting the album and having it, as a physical copy.

I'm proud to own the albums.

I found it!

I found the solution to piracy!

Note this day, cause it will go into history, once again, i secured my place in the history books!

well, here it is:

Labels should set up a peer-to-peer system that only allows the artist to choose in which quality the mp3 is spread, and the only way you can subscribe to the network is by buying CD's or mp3's. When the app is first opened it will ask for a code. Every new CD in stores, or mp3 bought on the net, gives you a code which adds download points you can use in the network.

People who download AND buy will be secured cause they are pretty fair and support the artists. Nothing will change for them. The more CD's you buy, the more you can download! This rewarding system will even encourage musiclovers to buy more CD's!

But people who ONLY download cannot use this system, and because this system is legal, without spam or viruses, it would be a HUGE succes and other peer-to-peer networks would all die because of the overwhelming succes and secure, reliable, fast service.

People who buy, but don't download, will try the new system because the CD's they bought is advertising it. They will discover new music which will lead to more sales!!! which leads to more income, better studio's, better quality, EVERYBODY HAPPY!! YEAH!

The real criminals can be seperated from the musiclovers and this will result in better reactions from the anti piracy agencies.

You see!!! things could be so beautifull & simple! It's a win-win situation.

I will send this idea to some major labels, i hope they will call it the DICK network (Daniel Is Cool Karma)

But people who ONLY download cannot use this system, and because this system is legal, without spam or viruses, it would be a HUGE succes and other peer-to-peer networks would all die because of the overwhelming succes and secure, reliable, fast service.

DC++ is pretty secure,reliable and fast.And you get top quality rips on VBR mp3s (EAC & LAME).

So ...

:P

:lol: :lol:

"The real criminals"

:rolleyes:

Anyways I bet it wouldn't work :]

by real criminals i mean people selling copied CD's and making money with it. They are out there too you know!! And the evolution of the last 10 years made it much more difficult to determine who is a real criminal! I have read articles about kids that had to pay thousands of euro's because of mp3's. THat's BS!! THat's a waste of time, and while that time is wasted, real pirates are harder to track and more active then ever. You never saw those goofy russian sites selling mp3's??? With a system like i suggested, there would be no reason to bully kids, cause it would be clear who is a threat to copyright and who isn't.

DC++ is pretty secure,reliable and fast.And you get top quality rips on VBR mp3s (EAC & LAME).

So ...

:P

ok, but there is always the danger, some day, some goofy multimillionaire gets the idea in his head to force a law or something and log all th IP's of the users and starts lawsuits everywhere he finds an mp3.

It is very unlikely, but there is a possibilty that one day, the music industry will do some crazy stuff. Not everybody will experience this, but it allready happened that a 9 year old had to pay an insane amount of money because he downloaded some mp3's. YOU could be next!!!

People who claim they are downloaders & buyers will be secured from this, and they should embrace a system like this cause nothing will change for them, they only gain from it. They will move out of the "illegal piracy" that surround them now.

So if you use this system, you can download mp3's, smoke a spliff and you won't get paranoid the feds are going to bust into your house.

the good side of dc++ is that if u know enough, u only join a hub or two max, filled with only "checked" people. no public bs.

it doesn't make it perfect, but it does limit the risks.

As for me, the last cd i bought was before the new millenium...

before i even liked psy...

the good side of dc++ is that if u know enough, u only join a hub or two max, filled with only "checked" people. no public bs.

it doesn't make it perfect, but it does limit the risks.

As for me, the last cd i bought was before the new millenium...

before i even liked psy...

:blink:

I cast a voodoo spell upon you:

one day you will be assraped and get AIDS.

tatatatatatatatatatata

zuzuzuzuzuzuzuzuzuzuzu

memememememememe

spell casted

ok, but there is always the danger, some day, some goofy multimillionaire gets the idea in his head to force a law or something and log all th IP's of the users and starts lawsuits everywhere he finds an mp3.

It is very unlikely, but there is a possibilty that one day, the music industry will do some crazy stuff. Not everybody will experience this, but it allready happened that a 9 year old had to pay an insane amount of money because he downloaded some mp3's. YOU could be next!!!

People who claim they are downloaders & buyers will be secured from this, and they should embrace a system like this cause nothing will change for them, they only gain from it. They will move out of the "illegal piracy" that surround them now.

So if you use this system, you can download mp3's, smoke a spliff and you won't get paranoid the feds are going to bust into your house.

That is very unlikely to happen.They thought they did it with Audiogalaxy but they got owned.The way p2p works nowdays makes it almost impossible to track and "punish" users that easily.At least in Europe.I'm not saying they can't do it,they just don't.Especially with torrents,things are way out of control.You just can't raid into millions of houses.There will be madness.I never get paranoid about the likelihood of something like that happening.I just know it wont.

There are other ways to fight that but there are ways to fight countless of other social problems as well.I know it,you know it,we all know it.Things need to change.

The music industry is not ready for such a big change,yet.Internet though is making huge leaps forward and they keep staying further and further back.I think now its too late.

Unless,the capitalistic machine somehow manages to actually monitor the whole fuckin internet from their servers in the US.They've trying to do that for years (at least from what i know).Will they succed?If they do,we'r all fucked.You as well.So don't support this philosophy too much cause one day you are gonna cry for the good old days of free internet.

I found it!

I found the solution to piracy!

Note this day, cause it will go into history, once again, i secured my place in the history books!

well, here it is:

Labels should set up a peer-to-peer system that only allows the artist to choose in which quality the mp3 is spread, and the only way you can subscribe to the network is by buying CD's or mp3's. When the app is first opened it will ask for a code. Every new CD in stores, or mp3 bought on the net, gives you a code which adds download points you can use in the network.

People who download AND buy will be secured cause they are pretty fair and support the artists. Nothing will change for them. The more CD's you buy, the more you can download! This rewarding system will even encourage musiclovers to buy more CD's!

People who buy, but don't download, will try the new system because the CD's they bought is advertising it. They will discover new music which will lead to more sales!!! which leads to more income, better studio's, better quality, EVERYBODY HAPPY!! YEAH!

The real criminals can be seperated from the musiclovers and this will result in better reactions from the anti piracy agencies.

You see!!! things could be so beautifull & simple! It's a win-win situation.

I will send this idea to some major labels, i hope they will call it the DICK network (Daniel Is Cool Karma)

Will never ever work.