Im worried about buying CDs....

TRohr

i think what he meant was to make his own compilations out of stuff he owns? I do that all the time, so I can have some tracks super handy, and dont need to pack like 100 to get 20 tracks worth of music.

I don`t want to buy a bunch of CD`s and then have it turn out that they`re all in different keys, BPM`s, and virtually impossible to mix.

Part of djing is mixing different bpms, if not you entire set would be the same exact tempo. Everyone has their own style, but I tend to start a mix with progreeive and then build up from there. Its all about mixing the highs, mids, and lows. Tracks with different bpms are not impossible to mix, it just takes some practice to make em flow smooth together ;)

In a few weeks I plan on throwing down some cash on some new equipment as well as up to $200.00 in CD`s.... For the longest time I planned on sticking with the laptop DJ route, but it`s just not quite as fun. People don`t look at you the same too....

Anyways! I am really worried about buying CD`s. I don`t want to buy a bunch of CD`s and then have it turn out that they`re all in different keys, BPM`s, and virtually impossible to mix. I would also like to keep my collection of music sectioned; I would like to be able to just randomly pick up a CD from a section of my book, randomly pick a song off of it, and mix it in.... Would it be safe to pick a track that I like, track down it`s artist/record company and buy all the CD`s under their name? Other than just buying CD`s with songs on them that I like that`s about the only way I can think to do it. How can I insure that all of the songs will mix well enough and that i`m not wasting $15.00 on a CD with one or two decent tracks on it? In a bit i`ll throw together a list of CD`s i`m thinking of buying and let you guys critique it....

Best excuse for piracy I've heard... this year. :)

Seriously, buy stuff and make your own compilations if you need to. Besides, AFAIK you shouldn't have your set planned before the gig. You should have a vague idea of what you want to play, but it should all depend on crowd's reaction, mood etc. Therefore you have to be ready to mix different tempos and keys. What if you planned to start slow and speed up, when it turns out you were re-scheduled to play after some dark-psy DJ? Know your tunes and practice your skills, to be ready for anything - that's at least what I think good DJ is/should be doing.

Ah yeah, I guess this was kind of a stupid thread :lol: ; I didn't think it through to well. Is there a particular method you guys used to choose your first CD's though? Just pick a company, listen to their CD's and if it sounds cool buy it? Eeni-meenie-miney-moe? Theres so many CD's~ and not very much money to start out with~.

HAHAHHAH your a real dick. around here we own CD's

Do you own 2 copies of every cd?

Burning your own cds makes it easier to organise them... also if you lose your cd wallet they are just burnt copies. Also you can't mix a track from the same cd into another track from that cd if using cdjs. Where did I mention not owning cds? Also discs can get scratched so its best if its not the originals.

Why am I a dick?

Keys in general are pretty random.. so I wouldn't worry about that. Listen to samples from the cd... also reviews will probably hint at the BPM. Sometimes stuff has the BPM written up at discogs as well.

I expect a response to this because this has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever seen at psynews.