what midi controller do you use?

basically starting a topic about midi controllers here..

I want to buy a new one. One i will only be using for turning some knobs and playing some melodies into the sequencer. So no extra features needed for the moment. How about he oxygen 8 by m-audio? Any thoughts on it? I have had lots of problems with drivers by m-audio before. Any known issues with this one?

To add some interest to the topic: maybe you can write down your thoughts on your (new and old) controllers. Good and bad. On the net you can usually find plenty of problems people have with equipement. Therefor it might be nice to extend it to a topic that talks about the good things of your controller as well.

OLD Controller: Edirol PCR-50 CRAP

New Controller: Novation Remote 25 SL (Would have gotten the 49 if there was more space here) WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

The Novation Remote SL works Especially good if you are working in Cubase/Logic/Reason/Live. It has templates inside, no mapping of controls needed, it just works. It works like Plug and Play should have when it first hit the market :)

Together with an Oberheim MC3000d I just bought a Korg MicroKontrol for 50 bucks! It's on its way but it seems fairly pleasent and will actually work the way I want it to in conjunction with the MC3000d [it's the most feature rich MIDI device ever released onto the market, it's a shame nobody's duped it in another keyboard/desktop controller; see the Oberheim MC 3000 for the keyboard version of this]

So, I don't know yet, but I kind of like the layout of the MicroKontrol, but we'll see when it arrives [and it's cheap]!

-d

I use a 12 years old Yamaha CS1x, and it works perfectly. It's also a synth, so if you find one for really cheap, consider getting it - assuming you have a MIDI interface in your DAW.

Otherwise, I'd recommend getting an Emu Xboard.

Korg microKONTROL

Wanted it over other, cheaper ones because of its 16-button pad that's very handy with certain programs. And I got it as a gift. B)

No complaints other than the first one they sent was broken en-route, and it took a hell of a long time to replace... (Musician's Friend FTL) Oh and the keys are really small...

I use my first (and so far only) keyboard, a Roland XP-10. It's not so great as a controller, all it has is two sliders that don't work very smoothly and a pitch/mod joystick. Pretty soon I plan on getting one of those really small M-Audio ones to complement my new laptop. All those cheap controllers are supposed to be more or less low build quality, but for I'm going for portability.

I really want a controller with good knobs, but hopefully within a few months I should be able to get a PEK, so I'll use that as my main studio controller. Although after about 9 years of being used to the joystick, I expect I'll be initially frustrated with having separate pitch and mod wheels.

I use my first (and so far only) keyboard, a Roland XP-10. It's not so great as a controller, all it has is two sliders that don't work very smoothly and a pitch/mod joystick. Pretty soon I plan on getting one of those really small M-Audio ones to complement my new laptop. All those cheap controllers are supposed to be more or less low build quality, but for I'm going for portability.

I really want a controller with good knobs, but hopefully within a few months I should be able to get a PEK, so I'll use that as my main studio controller. Although after about 9 years of being used to the joystick, I expect I'll be initially frustrated with having separate pitch and mod wheels.

PEKs are pretty wicked keys! I just hope that DSI releases the P08 in a rack mount, that'd make me happy I think.

-d

I I would buy kontroller with keyboard it would probably be m-audio axiom 49.. Or microkorg.. Devious that 50 bucks is great deal, thats e-bay right?...

I use CME Bitstream 3X and have no complains, knobs and faders as much as u want plus lfo and arp.. U even got a ribbon and a joystick and u can record automation of knobs, what more could you want?

I use synths keyboard, better than axioms for sure.. Also I can add extra 3 endless knobs on synth but thats perversion..

But if I would have rack synth than it would be another story, I would have to choose between ^ models

i like oxygen 8, have used it but for my meager purposes i took apart a larger controller and just use the modulation dial at the moment

BUT wondering if you guys know of a newer thing similar to but maybe better or cheaper than the Phatboy??

that thing is pretty cool for what it is, jsut a bunch of knobs, but hard to find and like $200

Done:

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/

Posted Image

You're welcome. :D

Haha, I know! I've been up to date on everything. Paying attention to NAMM this year, there's some pretty wicked stuff out there, but...I'm totally used gear buy-it-man! Still learning how to compose music hah, I can play a keyboard better than I can sit down and write music, but...that's because my shit is having shitfits with sequencing. I am going to try out fruityloops tonight and see if that resolves my infamous prophet 5 issue as well as my other minor issues with other gear.

I am SERIOUSLY ready to hook up that atari st sitting on the patio and start using that, but I have to buy a copy of cubase somewhere, and they sell for a lot, and I've already invested in renoise.................drr drr drrrrrrrrrr!

Really, in reality, I just want an Octopus sequencer, than I wouldn't need a computer, but I don't have 4800 USD to pay for a sequencer! It's tha shit though! :)

-d

Oh, and before I forget, noticed they addressed the knob issue? The keyboard version had a lot of knob issues, they were too wobbly, even from the factory, not just from sitting out on the floor for being demoed. There's more people who will by a desktop version than the keyboard version and the price is so much better! I for one am out of keyboard space because my living room is my studio and my bedroom while my son has the one bedroom in our place :).

Uhm, oh the knobs, EVOLVER style! Did you catch that? :)

-d

I am SERIOUSLY ready to hook up that atari st sitting on the patio and start using that, but I have to buy a copy of cubase somewhere, and they sell for a lot, and I've already invested in renoise.................drr drr drrrrrrrrrr!

I was about to not believe you, then I went and looked up Cubase. Wow, I had no idea it was so much. That's more than DP (what I use), but it probably has better softsynths and bundled effects. I was sort of excited when I upgraded from my old version of DP to the one I have now, because it included softsynths, but they more or less blow.

Oh, and before I forget, noticed they addressed the knob issue? The keyboard version had a lot of knob issues, they were too wobbly, even from the factory, not just from sitting out on the floor for being demoed. There's more people who will by a desktop version than the keyboard version and the price is so much better! I for one am out of keyboard space because my living room is my studio and my bedroom while my son has the one bedroom in our place :).

Uhm, oh the knobs, EVOLVER style! Did you catch that? :)

-d

Where did you hear they changed the knobs? The website says nothing.

Where did you hear they changed the knobs? The website says nothing.

Look at the photo you posted!

Look at the Prophet 8 keyboard!

:)

The information is in abundance out there, afterall, NAMM is/was currently showing since January 17th in Anaheim California! :)

Fear th Access Virus SNOW! I'd much rather have the P8 desktop/rack though :) for the same PRICE, actually, cheaper!!! :)

Go davey go!

-d

I was about to not believe you, then I went and looked up Cubase. Wow, I had no idea it was so much. That's more than DP (what I use), but it probably has better softsynths and bundled effects. I was sort of excited when I upgraded from my old version of DP to the one I have now, because it included softsynths, but they more or less blow.

Cubase for the atari you have to buy second hand, well, mostly. There was a new copy on ebay recently that went for 145 dollars, but otherwise. :)

It was the Atari ST they had initially developed Cubase on I do believe and from there it migrated over to where it is now as the Atari systems became something of a backlash!

But, the Atari ST's are still considered the best computer platform for sequencing because they hold their timing much better than regular PC's do. I am sure a linux based sequencer would hold timing really well too! I am not familiar with unix based sequencers though, but...it would definitely be my overall preference. Renoise in console, I could only hope :)

-d

Cubase for the atari you have to buy second hand, well, mostly. There was a new copy on ebay recently that went for 145 dollars, but otherwise. :)

It was the Atari ST they had initially developed Cubase on I do believe and from there it migrated over to where it is now as the Atari systems became something of a backlash!

But, the Atari ST's are still considered the best computer platform for sequencing because they hold their timing much better than regular PC's do. I am sure a linux based sequencer would hold timing really well too! I am not familiar with unix based sequencers though, but...it would definitely be my overall preference. Renoise in console, I could only hope :)

-d

eye yam the beeegeesst eedeeott of them all!

I've had this setup in a midi loop all along. :( So it was causing many-o-errors with the Prophet! So when I triggered, it was going back to the prophet at the same time and causing all sorts of wacky issues. I need a real usb controller :) is all, and am awaiting for that korg microkontrol still! I *just* Realized this and it was soo- simple all along.

Again, I *HATE* MIDI :)

do they have a cv -> usb device yet? hah! :)

-d

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Edirol PCR-50, but i wouldn't suggest you buy one of those.

I confirm what others said...bad quality... 2-3 of the keys aren't (after a year of use) working unless you press them so hard that you break your finger...

:pissed:

Next time i buy one it will be a korg or novation i suppose...

:angry: