Any suggestions on starting a collection?

TRohr

I have combed the forums for a bit and wasn't able to find anything specific, but do any of you have suggestions for starting a CD collection? I would like to throw down a hundred dollars or so on CD's to start myself a legitimate collection of music but I am not so sure where I should start.... I've been trolling through Psyshop.com and haven't found any tools to help me with choosing what CD's I should buy other than the "Charts."

I know that I love Progressive, and I know that I love the break beat style of psytrance but is there anything else I should be aware of when buying CD's? Do many of you worry about the key or BPM that the CD is in or the bassline and kicks or does everyone just listen to a cd and if they like it, buy it?

I have combed the forums for a bit and wasn't able to find anything specific, but do any of you have suggestions for starting a CD collection? I would like to throw down a hundred dollars or so on CD's to start myself a legitimate collection of music but I am not so sure where I should start.... I've been trolling through Psyshop.com and haven't found any tools to help me with choosing what CD's I should buy other than the "Charts."

I know that I love Progressive, and I know that I love the break beat style of psytrance but is there anything else I should be aware of when buying CD's? Do many of you worry about the key or BPM that the CD is in or the bassline and kicks or does everyone just listen to a cd and if they like it, buy it?

this is where the old version of psynews with the red highlighted classics come in.

progressive is current, therefore it cant be classic.

goa is classic.. destination goa series.. get the early comps. follow the artist albums you like.

pleiadians - IFO

astral - dancing galaxy

double dragon - continuum

etnica - alien protein

total eclipse - violent relaxation

this is where the old version of psynews with the red highlighted classics come in.

progressive is current, therefore it cant be classic.

goa is classic.. destination goa series.. get the early comps. follow the artist albums you like.

pleiadians - IFO

astral - dancing galaxy

double dragon - continuum

etnica - alien protein

total eclipse - violent relaxation

x-dream - radio

x-dream - we created our own happiness

hux flux - cryptic crunch

dimension 5 - transdimensional

indoor - progressive trance

tandu - multimoods

x-dream - radio

x-dream - we created our own happiness

hux flux - cryptic crunch

dimension 5 - transdimensional

indoor - progressive trance

tandu - multimoods

orion - futuristic poetry

flying rhino re:evolution series.. ALL OF THEM

koxbox - dragon tales

MFG - the prophecy

miranda - phenomena

planet ben - trippy future garden

infected mushroom - the gathering

have fun

just buy the albums you like.

If you want to dj with them. Check out the bpms first to make sure they slightly fit the bpm range you are djing in. buying 125 when you prefer to play stuff around 140 doesnt make much sense ;)

But then again its nice to be able to play at every time of the day. For now focus on the stuff you like most.

Maybe forget about the whole cd thing. Go digital download! cds will vanish soon anyway.

just buy the albums you like.

If you want to dj with them. Check out the bpms first to make sure they slightly fit the bpm range you are djing in. buying 125 when you prefer to play stuff around 140 doesnt make much sense ;)

But then again its nice to be able to play at every time of the day. For now focus on the stuff you like most.

Maybe forget about the whole cd thing. Go digital download! cds will vanish soon anyway.

A collection of digital files doesn't seem like a collection to me. :unsure:

I love trawling through second-hand record shops....finding good/rare stuff for not much money..or just buying a lot of random stuff on a hunch and ending up loving it (it is hit and miss tho).

Check ebay and avoid discogs unless your loaded.

finally, is there a lack of recommendations around here or smth? every second thread is about this, so check out what other people who have similiar tastes like and sample at saiko too see if you likey.

...I would like to throw down a hundred dollars or so on CD's to start myself a legitimate collection of music but I am not so sure where I should start....

Well, with that sort of money, you might be able to get 1 or 2 CDs that are worth called collectible, or 1/5th of so called "sought after" CDs (Transdimensional, Crop Circles single etc.)

However, if you mean more recent stuff, the I suggest browsing through "Best of..." threads for 2005, 2006 & 2007 and then to check the samples at saikosounds.com to find out what is to your liking :)

[/b]

A collection of digital files doesn't seem like a collection to me. :unsure:

I love trawling through second-hand record shops....finding good/rare stuff for not much money..or just buying a lot of random stuff on a hunch and ending up loving it (it is hit and miss tho).

Check ebay and avoid discogs unless your loaded.

finally, is there a lack of recommendations around here or smth? every second thread is about this, so check out what other people who have similiar tastes like and sample at saiko too see if you likey.

+1

I hate downloading! I want to have the cd, touch the digipack and read the booklet. A download colection... well it's not a collection!

A collection of digital files doesn't seem like a collection to me

haha how can a collection of ... not be a collection ;)

it might not be your favourite collection.. but it is a collection..

I thought tRohr said something like wanting to dj with it soI thought it was a good idea to mention it. But i cant seem to find that episode again so i might have been wrong.

+1

I hate downloading! I want to have the cd, touch the digipack and read the booklet. A download colection... well it's not a collection!

Same here, but maybe we are old-fashioned. ;) On the other hand when the CD arrived on the market the vinyls were meant to vanish and they are still around today so there is hope.

Browse Saiko Sounds listen to their 4 minute samples, see what you like & start a collection of those. It's a better collection if you like the music ;)

Yeah that's the way to go imho. You can still start to look for rarities later (or if you come across them to a reasonalbe ot cheap pric). Imho it sucks to have a collection of music that you don't really like.

Let me give you a suggestion...

Make a music evening for yourself. Get some beers, relax and start browsing through threads here and see what people suggest here and there, maybe check out the reviews section as well. Check out well and if any release sounds interesting for you, go over to Saikosounds and listen through the samples. Saikosounds really is good for that, I find. And while listening samples browse more and more, here and there ... you'll find some really good stuff, I bet. And of that stuff, make a list and rank it, see what you really would like to own and what you can afford and then go buy it! No matter what it is - oldschool, prog, dark, ambient ... listen through and see what you like. You really can do that well at Saikosounds I think.

If I had 100 dollars to spend on CDs and wouldn't know which ones to get, I'd definitely do that. I also like to do something like that before an order, even if I know what to order already, maybe I come across some other jewel and get it alongside, you never know. And then I sit until late at night with my list, the music and the beer until I finally place the order. But the purchase I'd make at Wirikuta, although that's only because they're in my country...

I think that's the true spirit of placing an order. Many people are just hurrying with it. I do it with heart and soul and I love it, it gets part of the enjoyment for me, so I already get something for my money while I don't have even paid :rolleyes: ... it's wonderful and I pity everybody who doesn't have the time to do it like that :)

I'd also highly recomend Electric Universe-One love.... looks very rare from discogs prices but still a great release allmost as good Dimension 5-Transdimentional with its own charm. Defenitly a must own cd... I'm currently listening to a 128kbps version of it and attempting to get the cash together to actually buy a copy.

Yeah that's the way to go imho. You can still start to look for rarities later (or if you come across them to a reasonalbe ot cheap pric). Imho it sucks to have a collection of music that you don't really like.

Right now Im cleaning up my collection, listening to everything.

Least its not to huge like some other members but 300 CDs is still going to take awhile.

Hey Tatsu, when I listen through my other 2007 stuff Ill let you know what I liked.

Hopefully your kind of stuff as our recommendations usually work for each other.

Only music I keep on MP3 is if I sell a CD but I liked 1 or 2 tracks, keep those tracks.

Least its not to huge like some other members but 300 CDs is still going to take awhile.

Hey Tatsu, when I listen through my other 2007 stuff Ill let you know what I liked.

Hopefully your kind of stuff as our recommendations usually work for each other.

Only music I keep on MP3 is if I sell a CD but I liked 1 or 2 tracks, keep those tracks.

300 cds isn't huge?

I have like 3 :(

300 cds isn't huge?

I have like 3 :(

I thought it was but looking at how many others have doesnt seem that big.

Im about 20% there, sure is taking awhile. Work gets in the way :angry:

Listening to System Nipel - Deep Into Matter, seems like one to keep for sure.

for old skool I suggest you order some compilations,

tantance or destination goa, distance to goa volumes doesn't matter lot's of them have the same tracks,

but there are many different artist so it makes it easier to find what you want to collect and what not...

for progressive I would recommend the same,

for fullon totally not

for suomi I have no idea honest,

good luck

Yeah, please to that, feel free to drop me a PM anytime with suggestions. I'm not able to buy a lot of stuff atm but still. Btw. i can really recommend the three comps from Dacru Records and the Positive Alchemists series (also three comps) from Avigmatic. Well, everything from Avigmatic records anyway.

As for classic Goa, I would have recommended the same as the first 3 people that replied.

Etnica/Pleiadians

Transwave

Total Eclipse

Oforia/Tandu

X-Dream

Astral Projection

Miranda/Ominus

MFG

Asia 2001

Shakta

You have them, you have most of the golden era.

Would it be safe to pick a track that I like, track down it`s artist/record company and buy all the CD`s under their name? Other than just buying CD`s with songs on them that I like that`s about the only way I can think to do it. How can I insure that all of the songs will mix well enough and that i`m not wasting $15.00 on a CD with one or two decent tracks on it?

you simply dont know if you are going to buy that many cds in one go. If you are worried about it why buy that many cds at once? Just buy the ones you like and that will fit in the style you want to mix. You can 'try before you buy' and check the bpms of the tracks you like in tractor for example. Dont worry to much about the keys for now.

Start slowly and you ll figure it out. If you are insisting on buying alot. Go saikosounds.com and try to make a deal for such a big chunk of music.

Goa Trance labels seem to be pretty consistent. Anything off twisted or Suntrip records for example is pretty good. Psynews also has a review section (if you buy a cd... note what people said in the reviews... if some people said "too minimal" and you don't think that then maybe see other cds where thats the only bad thing they said). Look for things labels recomend (things on the label), people recomend (they have given good reviews for) and artists you like recomend (they might remix them or have collabed with them). Also compilation albums are very much the way to goa... distance to goa 1-5, goa head 1-8 destination goa 1&2, Tantrance etc...