What is psychedelic?

buzzman

The thought i have what psychedelic music is, is the music that makes me fly away and go into another world in my mind, getting manipulated and carried away by hypnotic melodies, wierd noizes and rythms, and flows that rip you with the stream and just goes on and on, taking you from one place or emotion to another...

But maybe my deffinition of "psychedelic" music is wrong... I had this discution with Nemo about Penta... Why do i think Penta is very psychedelic, while Nemo think it is NOT!?

What is psychedelic music really exept for a name?

The thought i have what psychedelic music is, is the music that makes me fly away and go into another world in my mind, getting manipulated and carried away by hypnotic melodies, wierd noizes and rythms, and flows that rip you with the stream and just goes on and on, taking you from one place or emotion to another...

But maybe my deffinition of "psychedelic" music is wrong... I had this discution with Nemo about Penta... Why do i think Penta is very psychedelic, while Nemo think it is NOT!?

You dont need to be on drugs to get blown away by true psy, where as you need a LOT of fucking drugs just to ENJOY Penta :P:lol: (just kidding mate!) Good question mate, I am looking forward to the answers in this thread :)

You dont need to be on drugs to get blown away by true psy, where as you need a LOT of fucking drugs just to ENJOY Penta :P:lol: (just kidding mate!) Good question mate, I am looking forward to the answers in this thread :)

Hahaha, your right :)

Yes looking forward for some answers to :)

Each people have it's feeling, and definition, ... penta is sure psychedelick.

For me, psychedelick, is something that go inside your perception, to modify the dimension around you, something like that :).

1200 Mics - Salvia divinorum (3:18 to 3:45) THIS ! is psychedelick, musically speaking of course...

and there is a lot example around us, in psy music catalog... :)

Iirc psychedelic refers to something that "shows the soul"

In this day and age and in this "culture" it has been demoted to a buzzword for complex and often messy music. Focusing on "aural overload" as compared to the so called "psychedelic" artists who try to portray the hallucinogenic intoxication state in their paintings/drawings/multimedia crap etc...

As to the topic starter, find out for yourself.

What is psychedelic?Everything and nothing.

Psychedelia is a completely personal feeling.It is something that can relate you to the depths of your subconsciousness and make you feel like close to what you really are.A 3 dimensional being living in a geometrical world.That is why usually psychedelia seems to love symmetrical patterns of either images or sounds.

So next time you think that psytrance is more psychedelic than other kinds of music,Penta isn't psychedelic and Pleiadians is more psychedelic than Xenomorph,think again.Yes psytrance can be way more intensely psychedelic than other kinds of music than can even more deeply psychedelic.Like Tool.Seriously,that is as close to musical psychedelia as you can get.

Psychedelia is a completely personal feeling.It is something that can relate you to the depths of your subconsciousness and make you feel like close to what you really are.A 3 dimensional being living in a geometrical world.That is why usually psychedelia seems to love symmetrical patterns of either images or sounds.

So next time you think that psytrance is more psychedelic than other kinds of music,Penta isn't psychedelic and Pleiadians is more psychedelic than Xenomorph,think again.Yes psytrance can be way more intensely psychedelic than other kinds of music than can even more deeply psychedelic.Like Tool.Seriously,that is as close to musical psychedelia as you can get.

+1

:clapping:

there is no universal definition for the term.

it is what YOU make it

what makes it for YOU, is when you have an experience that takes it beyond the average.

when your mind is able to journey there and back no matter how hectic, no matter which chemical.. no matter what musical style.

altho your fooling yourself if you think its possible with anything but OLDSCHOOL GOA

Term "psychedelic" is a meaning that live with us every single second.

Psychedelic or Psychedelia is coming from the ancient (and modern) Greek language and it's a complex word from psyche and delic (in free translation statement of soul)

You can say that every living being is psychedelic if you suppose that this statement is the reason that we live (want it or not).

But the point is that this statement it isn't something like "Hi my name is Giorgos but it's something that comes from the labyrinth of our soul something that modern technology can't figure out.

So for me Psy, maybe good psy music is something that can touch my psyche and could trip me with the different ways that trip could do.

PS Trip=melancholy, dance, imagination, hapiness, unger, my mood x 2

very good answer. psychedelic is very subjective.

On the other hand what is meant by psychedelic music is music that isnt just for enjoying. But it is meant to be an aural journey to/ of the mind. Music with loads of sounds that make you hear the journey. And maybe even visualize it through the music.

I have no idea why this explanation seems to have spread on the net.

ψυχή (psyche) stands for soul,not mind.Which makes more sense.

why does it make more sense if its soul? I have had ancient greek in highschool which is some 12 years ago.. but if i recall correctly it also meant mind. But lets ask the greek here.. they might shed some more light on it.

very good answer. psychedelic is very subjective.

On the other hand what is meant by psychedelic music is music that isnt just for enjoying. But it is meant to be an aural journey to/ of the mind. Music with loads of sounds that make you hear the journey. And maybe even visualize it through the music.

Yeah exactly,"visualise" the journey through the music.But visualise in a much deeper meaning.

The more psychedelic it gets the more it helps you stay on the track and focus on going further and deeper.

That is why i honestly don't get full on with their constant cuts and 1 minute climaxes which end into a rather harsh melody.It never actually builds properly,how the funk is anyone supposed to actually trip on it i do not understand.I find various techno styles way more psychedelic than full on.But still,that is me and only me.Its completely personal.

Anyway,it is a pretty complex concept that is much better described with smiles and body language than words.

why does it make more sense if its soul? I have had ancient greek in highschool which is some 12 years ago.. but if i recall correctly it also meant mind. But lets ask the greek here.. they might shed some more light on it.

Although it actually means soul in modern greek it can indeed have various meaning in ancient greek,from where it was borrowed.I am not entirely sure about it and i might be completely wrong.When you go out in the forest or watch the sunrise on shrooms ,for example,that strong thing you feel doesn't come from your mind,it feels like coming from deep within.

That magical bond with nature and its beauties is not something you thought of or you can explain,your mind cannot create it.Should we call it soul?I don't know.

'Psychedelic' is, academically, not as nebulous a concept as many of these replies make it seem. While Gnome may be correct about the origin of the root 'psyche', it still remains that the invention of the term 'psychedelic' was intended to mean "mind manifesting". If they had the etymology of the word wrong, so be it; it doesn't change what the word was meant to convey. The "mind manifesting" definition of the word 'psychedelic' has been around much longer than the internet has been around.

However, on the experiential side, 'psychedelic' is extremely nebulous. If your question is, "what is psychedelic music", well, I'm inclined to say "who fucking knows?" Some music I hear that is supposed to be psychedelic just seems like any other kind of music, only with the heavy use of phase shifters, flangers and echoes. And other music which is fairly straightforward in presentation can seem much more psychedelic to me. Or vice versa.

While I can say that because my entire worldview is influenced by my own psychedelic experiences, and therefore my music is influenced by psychedelics, that doesn't mean that anyone else might hear my music and think it psychedelic. In that respect, what is psychedelic is completely subjective. So the answer to the question, "what is psychedelic music", can only be "you tell me."

This is the world of psychedelics, where nothing makes sense, and the answers only lead to more questions.

Although it actually means soul in modern greek it can indeed have various meaning in ancient greek,from where it was borrowed.I am not entirely sure about it and i might be completely wrong.When you go out in the forest or watch the sunrise on shrooms ,for example,that strong thing you feel doesn't come from your mind,it feels like coming from deep within.

That magical bond with nature and its beauties is not something you thought of or you can explain,your mind cannot create it.Should we call it soul?I don't know.

But the psychedelic experience is more than that imho. I am also confronted with my mind while tripping. With issues i have in the ordinary world as well as with things outside that ordinary world. Ayahuasca for example could help you get rid of your problem with alcohol as well as show you things about divinity.

Some spam posts set invisible. This is actually a very interesting discussion and even if the topic might bore some, if the spamming in this thread or in the general section continues I will hand out warnings. Go elswhere if you are bored, this is not a kindergarten where you can come and play.

Okey, I am going to make my statement now.

Defining what is psychedelic is to try and explain what the color blue is to a blind man. You can sure make a definition of what it is, what feelings it gives etc etc, but at the end its a very personal thing. There is no science behind what is Psychedelic and not. Some think it is Hallucinogen, some Penta, FINE! :) For me the most psychedelic/hallucinogenic track of all times is Plastikmans Krakpot, dancing to that 11 minutes of acid building up, is just pure mind expanding madness. One of the most psychedelic acts I have seen live is Juno Reactor, whilst others will tell you that its SHITE.

"Ψυχή" means soul! In ancient it used to mean the same as well! Modern Greek evolved from Ancient, and although there are some differencies in the meaning of some words, in this case the meaning is the same! In ancient Greek it used to mean the soul of an alive creature, the immortal part of it's being that after it's death it will leave it's body but it will not die with it! And this is exactly what it means in modern Greek as well!

But the psychedelic experience is more than that imho. I am also confronted with my mind while tripping. With issues i have in the ordinary world as well as with things outside that ordinary world. Ayahuasca for example could help you get rid of your problem with alcohol as well as show you things about divinity.

Yeah but Ayahuasca is considered an entheogenic.Like salvia.The experiences i had on salvia are not even close to being described as psychedelic.

I think the word psychedelic was created to describe that mystical feeling that comes from within the depths of your soul.

Sure the mind can also play a huge part in the whole experience but maybe that doesn't have to do with the actual psychedelia,it is rather a different "feature" of the substance that takes you deep into a mind trip.It is quite possible that these two are the exact same thing though.Even if they aren't,they are directly connected to each other.

I have no idea why this explanation seems to have spread on the net.

ψυχή (psyche) stands for soul,not mind.Which makes more sense.

Imo both make sense. And I think mind is more predominant than soul, because the use of the English word psyche (obviously derived from greek) seems closer to 'mind' than to 'soul'. Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

Yeah but Ayahuasca is considered an entheogenic.Like salvia.The experiences i had on salvia are not even close to being described as psychedelic.

I think the word psychedelic was created to describe that mystical feeling that comes from within the depths of your soul.

Sure the mind can also play a huge part in the whole experience but maybe that doesn't have to do with the actual psychedelia,it is rather a different "feature" of the substance that takes you deep into a mind trip.It is quite possible that these two are the exact same thing though.Even if they aren't,they are directly connected to each other.

Agreed on those last words, but I disagreed on your first statement. Entheogenic is just another term coined for the same kind of thing. People that were dissatisfied with the negative (and hippy) connotations of the word psychedelic, started using this term instead. Creating the God within, now that's an ambiguous term, if you ask me. I never understood how people can make separations between certain kinds of substance, when it all depends so much on a lot of other things, set and setting being the most prominent among them.