RME Fireface 400

So I'm aiming to get myself an extremely stable soundcard with, of course, some good features and support. I've been around forums on the net and I saw some very good responses from RME, they actually help out the users that have some trouble with their hardware/software. That's allways a plus for me. Well I did read some topics where users had problem with the phantom power randomly turning on, causing damage and whatnot, but that seemed to be fixed with the driver updates (the topic is actually 1-2 years old). Anyhow, I've also read some good reviews, and this thing seems to be almost perfect (for my taste).

Does anyone have any experience with this soundcard or RME in general? Would you recommend it? Would you not recommend it, and tell me why so? Any input is appreciated :)

As for the use of it, I'm mostly doing software production, but I also have some hardware synths which I might use ocasionally, but I am aiming to expand my hardware setup in the near future anyhow so this soundcard may proove useful. As for the price, it is a bit spicy yeah, but I don't spare cash when it comes to quality ;)

Ed: Oh and the link: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

So I'm aiming to get myself an extremely stable soundcard with, of course, some good features and support. I've been around forums on the net and I saw some very good responses from RME, they actually help out the users that have some trouble with their hardware/software. That's allways a plus for me. Well I did read some topics where users had problem with the phantom power randomly turning on, causing damage and whatnot, but that seemed to be fixed with the driver updates (the topic is actually 1-2 years old). Anyhow, I've also read some good reviews, and this thing seems to be almost perfect (for my taste).

Does anyone have any experience with this soundcard or RME in general? Would you recommend it? Would you not recommend it, and tell me why so? Any input is appreciated :)

As for the use of it, I'm mostly doing software production, but I also have some hardware synths which I might use ocasionally, but I am aiming to expand my hardware setup in the near future anyhow so this soundcard may proove useful. As for the price, it is a bit spicy yeah, but I don't spare cash when it comes to quality ;)

Ed: Oh and the link: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

http://www.thomann.de/de/mark_of_the_unicorn_motu_828.htm

I would rather go for that one, and thats the one that I eventually will get myself. :) It is 100 euro Cheaper than the Fireface, AND it has more "Physical" i/o :) I could not compare quality though, so dont listen to me.

http://www.thomann.de/de/mark_of_the_unicorn_motu_828.htm

I would rather go for that one, and thats the one that I eventually will get myself. :) It is 100 euro Cheaper than the Fireface, AND it has more "Physical" i/o :) I could not compare quality though, so dont listen to me.

+1

I was going to reply the same, so here comes some additional info:

Rme and Motu's soundcards are often spoken of as being very close in soundquality, it is really a matter of personal taste. They're also often compared to each other since there are no other in that price:quality area. For me Motu wins (same reasons as Nemo's and personal taste). But others prefer RME, so if you have the chance these are the two units to compare.

And btw check out Motu's UltraLite too for an even lower price great quality unit . (10 ins/14 outs). And you should also know that the Motu 828mkII comes in considerably lower price usb 2.0 version too (think that'll be my next soundcard) in same quality.

Actually I was aiming for MOTU myself (the ultralite), but then I've read alot of bad user feedback, especially conserning their software & drivers which really put me off as that's the one thing I really want to avoid :/ I think i'll eventually go with the fireface, I'm just looking for some user experiences with this card, if they had any problems etc.

I have an RME FF400 and all I can tell you is it works like a dream, never had any problems with it and the sound is crisp and clear. I can't compare it with other brands though since I haven't got too much experience with others. Point is I'd buy it again... anytime

RME is better sound-wise, preamps also. I got a 828MkII (FW) myself, and pretty happy about it, bought secondhand for nearly the same price as the USB-version. I have heard from others that the 828MkII USB-version is quite unstable. FW seems to be the right protocol for soundcards (Although TC Electronics only just recently has got it working well on their cards)..

You are quite right about the drivers. I have been using the PCI-424 for many years now and when using my PC I had problems frequently which was related to the drivers of the soundcard. On the Mac though, the card and interface works very well. Its one of MOTU products bad things: bad pc support.

My experience has been practically flawless using Motu under windows XP, using CuBase, Sonar, Ableton Live, Sound Forge, & Traktor: so I have to disagree with the comment of bad PC support for motu. While I've never used RME, I am very happy with my 828 Mk2. It sounds great to me, and the thing is built very sturdy. I do not use the pre-amps at all. I've heard mixed results with the ultralite, particularly due to certain incompatibility with fw chipsets, but have not used it firsthand.

I think USB for any soundcard is not a good idea. I highly suggest using firewire, regardless of the interface you choose.

Been using a Fireface 400 for quite a while now, it's probably the only thing in my studio that i will never get rid of. Highly recommended!

IMO avoid MOTU if you're on PC, too many horror stories out there!

Ok, I used CW Sonar on the PC. I got better performance with my Audiophile 2496 for a hundred bucks than with the Motu. Both PCI based interfaces. Once again, on my Mac the Motu card works perfect.

Not saying problems don't exist, just stating that I've used my 828 mk2 on 8 different pc computers without issue. 828 mk1 worked well for me too the short time I had it, as well as a motu 8 port midi interface. My experience with m-audio was the exact opposite as yours, delta 1010 & 410 basic functionality never worked right on either, and were utlimately sold off. It certainly wasn't from lack of trying, or being a novice pc user. Doesn't mean there aren't tons of happy m-audio users out there.

RME has it's issues too, but they also seem to be pretty good at releasing firmware updates, adding to their reputation as a solid buy.

Lets also not confuse Firewire, PCI and USB with each other. I can NOT recommend ANY PCI or USB card made by ANYONE anymore. Maybe an OLDER card, but then again, the drivers will be super out of date. As for USB, I dont support it at all, it generates in my opinion more dirty sound than anything there is (USB power bugs).

I meant the MOTU 828MK2 FW Card. Nothing else, nothing more, nothing less :)