What are you using to sequence with?

Well, after going back into some psynews threads about sequencing software and such [i've sold off all my hardware sequencers now to people in England, they were meant for collectors, not me].....I figured that renoise is right for me. I installed the demo and have to say I am absolutely blown away by its' simplicity at doing what I want it to do without having to spend hours upon hours RTFM! It's totally intuitive and is feature-rich to the point of satisfaction for myself. Then I can save it and pop it into my asq-10 and play back, like others too, but I am just voting win for this software. I remember when I was just getting started and I tried out Ableton and I was unable to get anywhere within the first five minutes. That was a disappointment. First time I installed Linux back in 94, I was about 13 years old, and it was easier to navigate the entire system than it was for me to figure out how to even begin sequencing in Ableton, haha! So I gave it up!

I have used logic 5.x on the PC a long time ago when I was messing around with being a reason whore and stuff. It was pretty simple. Don't know how it is nowdays with its development and shit, but it was quite fun years ago to play with on the PC.

On any note, I just wanted to start this thread for fun because as I get more into it, the composition part that is, the more I want to know what other people are using.

I've really been sitting around here repairing my gear and programming every sound bank with all my own stuff and reading a lot about synths. So there hasn't been anything musical coming out yet!

Renoise though, I *LOVE*! I think it has a place in my heart now for @home work weeeeee ;-D

Psynews search command r0x0rz my s0x0rz!

hehe ;)

happy new years.

-d

You got rid of the Linn monster machine? :blink: No, I hear you, software is generally a million times easier but also as sophisticated as one needs it to be. Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what you create, after all this gear talk and you buying and selling hardware like it was going out of style again. :D

I've been using Cubase 4 for several months now and really love it. It was frustrating at first because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, and it seems like an unconquerable beast, but since then I've continued to climb the mountain and learn. I found once I became familiar with the very general ropes - after a month or so - then the whole thing really blossomed for me, and continues to. Fortunately I've got so much more to learn about it, which can only make my music better, or at least more interesting. My production skill - something I've felt so weak about - has really been improving, too, because Cubase makes it easy. And that makes me very, very happy.

I came over from Reason 3.0, which I really loved, and part of me still does. But looking back on it I feel it made my life a lot more difficult than it needed to be, and my music and mental state suffered for it.

Started with Steinberg Pro 24 on the Atari ST, then used a Chase Bit master keyboard with built-in hardware sequencer for a while. Then Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold on a 286 PC, then Cubase on the Atari, then Cubase v1.0 for Windows 3; at various points in-between I also used the step sequencers on the SH-101 and Sequential Six-Trak synths, and a Yamaha RX17 drum machine, if they count! :D I got Cubase for my PC in 1992; I've been using it as my main writing platform ever since. Since 1999 or so I've also used Acid and Audiomulch for the occasional project, and regularly use Reason and Ableton Live.

You got rid of the Linn monster machine? :blink: No, I hear you, software is generally a million times easier but also as sophisticated as one needs it to be. Anyway, it'll be interesting to hear what you create, after all this gear talk and you buying and selling hardware like it was going out of style again. :D

The Linn was great, but I found out what I could get for the second one. I sold the first one for 150 dollars, and the second one I had reconditioned from parts from the first one [and the 2nd one] to bring it to a state of excellency ;) and I sold it to somebody in England for 350 dollars plus shipping roughly!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220178494130

I've been doing a lot of this as of late, and I've been doing really well. Hence my statement about naming every synthesizer in Filteria's studio in the pics thread! Strangely, I can name just about every piece all the way back to the 60's on up :-D and what they have, except huge modulars! I don't know single panels yet ha ha. :)

@Everybody: Thanks for the replies. They're fun to read. Colin, I have a 540ST and was intending on using it as my main interface, but I realized after doing the search here and finding somebody talking about Renoise...that using Renoise on a 22" monitor will provide far greater results than using cubase on my tiny atari st monitors or other regular tv-style monitors, he he.

There's still a lot to figure out, every time I input a note from say my Prophet 5, it notes it in the sequencing programming part of the program but simultaneously sends something back to the Prophet 5 and it's not exactly the C, F, G, etcetera I hit, instead it sounds like the A-440 button is being hit momentarily [something with MIDI, an option I'm not figuring out no doubt]. I think having a keyboard midi controller will solve this the easy way for myself [and save my keyboard, just replaced all the bushings ha ha], but for the time being...it's annoying. Anybody know a setting to turn that off?

;)

-d

edit:

This isn't me, I wish I had bought it! but, here's like 600 dollar profit right here

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ACCESS-TI-SYNTH_W0...1QQcmdZViewItem

Aha, what a good deal!

My first sequencer, back in '88/'89 was this little guy:

Posted Image

From '89 to '94 I had a Roland MC-300 (no good pictures to be found), an 8-track sequencer.

From '94 into the 00s I used the 16-track sequencer on my Korg 01/Wfd workstation, which was a dream after the Rolands, but kept me from getting serious with music because it was still severely limited.

Well, after going back into some psynews threads about sequencing software and such [i've sold off all my hardware sequencers now to people in England, they were meant for collectors, not me].....I figured that renoise is right for me. I installed the demo and have to say I am absolutely blown away by its' simplicity at doing what I want it to do without having to spend hours upon hours RTFM! It's totally intuitive and is feature-rich to the point of satisfaction for myself...

Wow, another Renoise user! Great!!! :)

Did you know that my not-nearly-finished track I posted few weeks back is made in Renoise? Here it is for those who are curious - it doesn't use any VST/VSTi-s, so all you need is Renoise demo to play / edit it.

BTW, Renoise demo is fully functional application - the only thing that is disabled is ASIO support and rendering to disk. The first one I don't need because I've got a crappy on-board laptop sound-card, and the rendering to disk can be achieved by placing certain plugin at the end of the master channel effects chain :rolleyes:

But then, it only costs 50EUR to register, so if I'll ever finish a song in it buying it will be the first thing to do.

Wow, another Renoise user! Great!!! :)

Did you know that my not-nearly-finished track I posted few weeks back is made in Renoise? Here it is for those who are curious - it doesn't use any VST/VSTi-s, so all you need is Renoise demo to play / edit it.

BTW, Renoise demo is fully functional application - the only thing that is disabled is ASIO support and rendering to disk. The first one I don't need because I've got a crappy on-board laptop sound-card, and the rendering to disk can be achieved by placing certain plugin at the end of the master channel effects chain :rolleyes:

But then, it only costs 50EUR to register, so if I'll ever finish a song in it buying it will be the first thing to do.

Hi Antic,

I think it was your post talking about you using renoise that made me try it out and I liked the interface. It actually felt more like "home" using it than any other software based sequencer. I guess it kind of reminded me of some hardware sequencers I've toyed with that I liked. Thanks for the tips too. I haven't read yet, but what's a license purchase good for, just that current version? I hate software you buy and it's like 1.3 1.4 1.5 and when they release 1.6 you have to pay again for it before they get to 2.0!@ I'm using the demo and will keep using it for the time being. As I become more and more familiar with what in the world I'm doing completely, I'll consider a license later on down the road. wOot!

I have to go, I want to write more, I'm just sick like every other week with a ticking bug-bomb in my body :(

-d

Hi Antic,

I think it was your post talking about you using renoise that made me try it out and I liked the interface. It actually felt more like "home" using it than any other software based sequencer. I guess it kind of reminded me of some hardware sequencers I've toyed with that I liked. Thanks for the tips too. I haven't read yet, but what's a license purchase good for, just that current version? I hate software you buy and it's like 1.3 1.4 1.5 and when they release 1.6 you have to pay again for it before they get to 2.0!@ I'm using the demo and will keep using it for the time being. As I become more and more familiar with what in the world I'm doing completely, I'll consider a license later on down the road. wOot!

I have to go, I want to write more, I'm just sick like every other week with a ticking bug-bomb in my body :(

-d

If you buy the licence now (for Renoise v1.9), it will be valid until v2.9 and within that time you can expect A LOT of additions. Just going from 1.7 to 1.9 they've added a mixer, new and improved old effects, xml output for renoise songs, on-the-fly recording and many more. They're simply crazy for updates! For me, I only need new arranger and I'll be damn happy.

Oh, what is also important, when you buy a licence you receive the version for PC & MAC and soon they'll be releasing an Linux port, which of course will also be available for already registered users free of charge. That's a great news for me, because I'm planning to move to Linux for my next home computer, which should be pretty soon. :posford:

If you buy the licence now (for Renoise v1.9), it will be valid until v2.9 and within that time you can expect A LOT of additions. Just going from 1.7 to 1.9 they've added a mixer, new and improved old effects, xml output for renoise songs, on-the-fly recording and many more. They're simply crazy for updates! For me, I only need new arranger and I'll be damn happy.

Oh, what is also important, when you buy a licence you receive the version for PC & MAC and soon they'll be releasing an Linux port, which of course will also be available for already registered users free of charge. That's a great news for me, because I'm planning to move to Linux for my next home computer, which should be pretty soon. :posford:

Wow, gives me a reason to back to Linux. I started using it in 1995 at slackware 2.0.12 or something as for the kernel. I moved to FreeBSD in 1998 when I was running my own computer consulting business, but have since, for many years now, been just using regular XP and have not been up to par with computer technology since I stepped away from them.

For the sake of Renoise and Linux...I may have to convert back. Oh the reliability. :) A Linux laptop with renoise! How perfect that combo would be. :)

Thanks for the information about registering it. I'll see how much I get into it, but it looks like at this point I'm addicted to it like crack and I don't see myself breaking my habit any time soon! :)

Software seems a bit easier to go through no thanks to demos, unlike buying hardware and being less than impress with it and having to sell it off again to buy another piece hoping for something "impressive" Ehehe.

Anyways, thanks again for that info. You Arturs know how to keep Aaron informed :) [refering to Damon too] hehe!

-d

I have a question...

Okay, using renoise.....

So the Prophet 5 is on midi channel 5 duh! :) Well, when say I have it play back the sequence [the software], it seems to play fine but it seems the output from the prophet becomes cut off on some notes at random, mostly noticable in unison. when not in unison, same thing, but it sounds more like somebody is playing a drum along to it, random, but...sounds pretty cool.

i know it's not the prophet as it works fine using a hardware sequencer...and was wondering if there's something i'm just not understanding about computers and midi or is it my usb -> midi adapter perhaps? i think i have a stupid uno :) or something....it's a usb cable on one side, a midi in/midi out cord on the other [one of each]..

anybody....help! hah! this is starting to hypnotize me with the bassline i created and that apparently unusual druming snizapple in the background, =]]]]]]]]]

wickedly fat! weee

-d

I have a question...

Okay, using renoise.....

So the Prophet 5 is on midi channel 5 duh! :) Well, when say I have it play back the sequence [the software], it seems to play fine but it seems the output from the prophet becomes cut off on some notes at random, mostly noticable in unison. when not in unison, same thing, but it sounds more like somebody is playing a drum along to it, random, but...sounds pretty cool.

i know it's not the prophet as it works fine using a hardware sequencer...and was wondering if there's something i'm just not understanding about computers and midi or is it my usb -> midi adapter perhaps? i think i have a stupid uno :) or something....it's a usb cable on one side, a midi in/midi out cord on the other [one of each]..

anybody....help! hah! this is starting to hypnotize me with the bassline i created and that apparently unusual druming snizapple in the background, =]]]]]]]]]

wickedly fat! weee

-d

Sorry, can't help you here as I've never used any external gear with Renoise :(

Please ask the question at Renoise's forum in "Help & Support" or "Beginner's Questions" - there are dozens of knowledgeable and very helpful people.

I have a question...

Okay, using renoise.....

wickedly fat! weee

-d

Sounds like a soundcard audio buffer thing to me. Increase the buffer size and repeat same - see what happens.

Next idea is switch the patch cables, they can go bad.

I don't know Renoise, but could it possibly be your Prophet 5 is running out of polyphony? Maybe the way the sequence is playing back is causing that. Check that each note in the sequence is in fact only one note, not multiple notes stacked on top of each other. I don't know if that's even a possible cause, but it's something to check. Plus, make sure there's no unintentional CC data in the sequence that might be causing it.

OMG! Antic, Phobe, my Renoise brothers!

Ive been stuck with Renoise since late 2004... Love it love it love it... Ever evolving... :D

Its great to see others getting into it too! Its the bridge between the old days of Scream and Impulse (first proggy I used, ahh that golden DOS-display of wonder...) and modern production with all the bells, whistles, 32bit float sound and ASIO support.

Did I mention I love Renoise? :lol:

Nowadays i'm using Cubase 4.1.

What do you think? I've really been enjoying getting to know it over the past few months. Then again, SX is probably very similar, no? I find there are minor things that bug me about C4, like some things not being entirely precise, but for the most part it's a dream compared to Reason. What are you using for drums? I'm getting a bit tired of depending on the Halion.

• 1 month later...