Enough bitching. Time to say why we do love about Psytrance

Ormion

-The fact that you can actually communicate with the artists. You can email them and answer back. You can chat with them in a forum. You can speak with them in a party. You can be friends with them. Imagine all the pop and rock fans. They never, never speak with the artists they like. For them artists are idols and they closer they can get is in a concert. Which reminds me the second reason...

-Parties. There is a special energy in psy parties, even today with this less good music.

-The diversity. Personally I can't think any other music genre with such variety of styles, emotions and colors. From Datakult to Vibrasphere, Shift to Etnica, Cosmo to Antix, Shpongle to Skazi, Astrix to Midi Miliz, Squaremeat to Shaolin Wooden Men, Astral Projection to Xenomorph, Aes Dana to Astralasia. You name it is here. Darkness, light, optimism, pessisism, happiness, melancholy, minimalism, maximalism, mind expanding, brain destructive. Psytrance has expanded in such a way you can only be happy about it. Which means...

-That Psy listeners are really open minded persons musically. And also...

-They are really open minded overall. You may disagree with that, but judging from Psynews they are. We may have fun with funny and ridiculous topics, but when in come in a serious talk everyone has a serious opinion to write. Go to a pop forum and try that. Believe me I know! ;)

-That hundreds maybe thousands unsigned artists are producing Goa and all they want is a god damn label except Suntrip to release their music!

-That when you think that Psytrance can't dissapoint you any more, something happens and makes you optimistic again.

-That if it wasn't for Psytrance, Psynews wouldn't exist. Seriously, this is the best site ever! :)

Your turn

edit: sorry for the mistake in the title

As far as I'm concerned, the best dance music out there is psytrance (note that I didn't write the converse!). I agree with all the points Ormion made, but they are all just a bonus for me.

I just love electronic music when its good, may it be Psy or Acid. There are good things and bad things, but bitching about it sure does not attract me. I LOVE psytrance when it blows me away in the way that just psytrance can blow you away. SCOOOOOOOOOOOOORB :D

-The fact that you can actually communicate with the artists. You can email them and answer back. You can chat with them in a forum. You can speak with them in a party. You can be friends with them. Imagine all the pop and rock fans. They never, never speak with the artists they like. For them artists are idols and they closer they can get is in a concert. Which reminds me the second reason...

-Parties. There is a special energy in psy parties, even today with this less good music.

-The diversity. Personally I can't think any other music genre with such variety of styles, emotions and colors. From Datakult to Vibrasphere, Shift to Etnica, Cosmo to Antix, Shpongle to Skazi, Astrix to Midi Miliz, Squaremeat to Shaolin Wooden Men, Astral Projection to Xenomorph, Aes Dana to Astralasia. You name it is here. Darkness, light, optimism, pessisism, happiness, melancholy, minimalism, maximalism, mind expanding, brain destructive. Psytrance has expanded in such a way you can only be happy about it. Which means...

-That Psy listeners are really open minded persons musically. And also...

-They are really open minded overall. You may disagree with that, but judging from Psynews they are. We may have fun with funny and ridiculous topics, but when in come in a serious talk everyone has a serious opinion to write. Go to a pop forum and try that. Believe me I know! ;)

-That hundreds maybe thousands unsigned artists are producing Goa and all they want is a god damn label except Suntrip to release their music!

-That when you think that Psytrance can't dissapoint you any more, something happens and makes you optimistic again.

-That if it wasn't for Psytrance, Psynews wouldn't exist. Seriously, this is the best site ever! :)

Your turn

edit: sorry for the mistake in the title

this sums up pretty well also what I'm thinking...

but the main fact is, that psy music is just music made for me...

I can be happy to it. I can dance to it. I can arrange my thoughts to it. I can dance and think. My whole mass of thoughts and memories is accessible to me, just like a library. I can think of things, think them through ... and be totally free. I can't do this in any other situation. Everyday noises and stuff distract me, lead the thoughts on other paths and in the end I come out with everything but a solution. It's like I have some sort of process in my brain that's producing thoughts and all that stuff continuously that interfere with the thought (or thing) I actually want to do through. And just this process is kinda switched off when I listen to psy, I can finally do and think without interference and that makes me somehow more free...

weird, huh? :)

every style of music i listen to is bounded to evoke a certain feeling, has a certain purpose. while the feelings that indie, metal or techno convey are pretty easy to express in words, the emotions i have while listening to some really psychedelic trance or goa are a lot harder to grasp. i actually can't express it in clear words. psytrance just overwhelms me, it puts my mind and body under a tension that makes me want to rip open my skin and let my inner somethings pour out into freaking space in order to orbit god's creations out there. i just love those acidlines that make me wanna tear out my hair, the melodies that make me shiver, the beats that make me stomp a hole into the ground. i just love that shit. and in parties i especially like the fact that watches seem to cease functioning as soon as i start dancing. everything that bothers me at the moment diminishes to nothing. and i can be the weirdo i am ;)

every style of music i listen to is bounded to evoke a certain feeling, has a certain purpose. while the feelings that indie, metal or techno convey are pretty easy to express in words, the emotions i have while listening to some really psychedelic trance or goa are a lot harder to grasp. i actually can't express it in clear words. psytrance just overwhelms me, it puts my mind and body under a tension that makes me want to rip open my skin and let my inner somethings pour out into freaking space in order to orbit god's creations out there. i just love those acidlines that make me wanna tear out my hair, the melodies that make me shiver, the beats that make me stomp a hole into the ground. i just love that shit. and in parties i especially like the fact that watches seem to cease functioning as soon as i start dancing. everything that bothers me at the moment diminishes to nothing. and i can be the weirdo i am ;)

I concur Nemo's statement. It's just music in general that's attractive. Right now I am actually listening to some Reiki music. Beautiful overtones, lush pads, unfariffic meditation stuff. Psy keeps my brain far too awake to meditate, but it is a top dance-style of music, but so is hard banging techno :)

I really like psy though for the organic effects. I like hearing synthesized alienated dripping of unnatural fluids, strange blippity bleep bleep alien voices...and well, I just love synthesized music in general. It is fact that I saw Hallucinogen live this year! It is fact I went out and bought a ton of synthesizers because of this. It is fact that I am now working on making my own music, although, not your typical psy, try psychedelic on the off beat. no four to the floor beat. I can't do it, my brain works in a strange psychedelic way ;)

But yeah, while I said before everybody should be entitled to their opinion in that off topic thread, you are your's and I do love the oldskool psy...and some new stuff but I haven't heard a ton of NEW shit, just what damon says hey d listen to this!! and I'm like WOW, THAT SOUNDS RAD!!!

Heehee.

Just keep listening and keep being happy for yourself, not any one else.

Love in light,

Brotha D

I love the excitment I get when my CD's come in the mail. I am never one-third as excited when I buy an album at the retail store, so I rarely do anymore.

I love how there are people like you Ormion who know just how wonderful this music really is. You did a wonderful job explaining some of the best things about why we love this music. I agree with virtually everything you wrote!

I love when I hear a Psy song, (most in the GOA and most Psytrance) I come back weeks, months down the road and it sounds completely different from how I last remembered it. It's like a whole new variation and/or experience listening it the song again. The visuals or moods can be different; everything can be different! Abasio mentioned this in an unrelated thread and I instantly realized how special it is to me that others have experiences and talk about these similar awesome things. I can relate!

I love how this music [referring to great Psy and Goa] makes me feel.. the emotions, moods, internal visual representations, and the actual "trance" state. The music is motivating. Some of it can make a person feel confident or optimistic to the point it's inhuman, meaning unemotional. I learned that if a listner stays in such states long enough in conjunction with the music, the listener can potentially develop such mental states that he or she can trigger at virtually anytime in the real world.

I love how other people understand my insight when it comes to this music. It feels good to be understood. Things are more clear and simplified which is a peaceful thing when you think about it.

Some of the artists read my reviews and communicate! Dado took a year but it just shows to go how REAL these people are. For the most part the artists don't seem to have a cocky stick up their ass like the impression I get from celebrities and various famous people related to Hollywood. I like when I can have a nice conversation with someone without feeling like they think I'm below them in some way. To appear to have a God-complex is shallow and unaware. As someone mentioned, you can talk with the celebrities of Psy so to speak and they're often kind and more importantly, they listen.

I love how people generally listen to Psytrance at parties to have fun, not to grind against girls without interest in the music. I like that people actually ENJOY the music. Therefore the energy in the place is alot more positive because people aren't there with one motive or intent in mind other than having fun.

I love the art and creativity associated with Psy. I love that PSY is the one genre where an artist always appears to be releasing something good, great, or superb (to myself at least) virtually every month. Sure some of the "acts" or lifestyle related culture elements get a little bizarre or demented in appearance at times, but there's just so much to experience and see.

There is so much innovation and passion in some of this music. Sure the same could be said for all genre's, however most songs on the radio I cannot hear too many times. They often get uninteresting fast and rarely does a new song come on the radio that seems to have classic potential. The Psy genre has amazing songs every year, songs that impress and grip me more than any other genre. I love how dynamic some of this music is.

best dance music ? maybe.

but "dance music" and "music" are two very different things.

you can have music that is primarily music but also dance music ... or you can have straight up dance music ... like psytrance.

just like you can have music with lyrics or you can have rap ... different things

ask yourself this - if you were born without legs, would you still like psytrance ?

i think a lot of negativity arises from the fact that psytrance wasnt always necessarily that ... you did not NEED legs to listen to astral for example, although legs could also come in handy (no pun intended)

ask yourself this - if you were born without legs, would you still like psytrance ?

i think a lot of negativity arises from the fact that psytrance wasnt always necessarily that ... you did not NEED legs to listen to astral for example, although legs could also come in handy (no pun intended)

First, i don't know what psytrance was like in the past..

But now, when I listen to it, it's just this magical feeling I get. Words can't describe it. And when I dance, I usually don't move my legs to much, I just wave my body and enjoy the moment. It probably looks ridiculous, but I wouldn't need legs to enjoy the special vibe psytrance releases. Psytrance=pure enjoyment :lol:

best dance music ? maybe.

but "dance music" and "music" are two very different things.

you can have music that is primarily music but also dance music ... or you can have straight up dance music ... like psytrance.

just like you can have music with lyrics or you can have rap ... different things

You mean to say someone who doesnt have legs cant enjoy psytrance ? i remember seeing a person in a wheel chair having as much a good time as the other people who were dancing, at some party in goa long ago . other than at parties i mostly listen to psy before going to sleep so that i have good dreams. i enjoy my psychedelic alot in bed just before passing out . dont need no legs!!! which doesnt mean i cant enjoy it as much if im dancing. infact while listeinng to my favourite tunes through headphones while lying in bed makes me feel like im floating somewhere close to the ceiling. i get this sense of weightlessness. its much better a rush than actually dancing to it. honestly .. this might sound strange but its true. i dont feel the need to dance to enjoy it. so dont try to justify how much you hate psy by saying you need legs to enjoy psytrance. It is actually a very pathetic way of trying to mean that psytrance is just physical dance music. Its much more than that. My brain is dancing as well when im listening.

or maybe you dont like dancing/cant dance and are envious of the people who dance better than you at psy gatherings in which case i understand your sentiments!

Psytrance my lurv! :rolleyes:

I lick you becauz:

- You're the most psychedelic form of music I have heard. Sure if you take someone like Richie Hawtin to mix 45 trax in 70 minute period techno starts being psychedelic too but... psytrance is psychedelic in its very core. You can mix the starts and ends of tracks, because the tracks simply carry such amount detail to every moment there's not too much reason to overlap the tracks too much. Thence we have the policy of not releasing almost any 12"s but plenty of CDs.

- I like the scene around you. It's lovely to have chats with likeminded people and furthermore notice they're otherwise cool people too. You gave me forest girls, thx! I also bet Konemetsä festival wouldn't exist without you... :)

ps. Dear, I know the honeymoon is over but couldn't you be kind enough to give me Dragon Tales 2 pretty plz?

Yes, I would. In fact since I started listening goa/psy in 1998, I've been to goa/psy nights only twice, yet I still love it.

So, I'd say there's a hole in your theory :P;)

Again I concur with the sentiments expressed above (especially Jon Cocco's marvelous post). Here's something I don't think has been mentioned so far: I love the fact that psytrance artists seem able to exploit the problems inherent in large speakers and club/ festival acoustics to good effect. A lot of music that sounds good when played on a home stereo or through headphones is ruined when one tries to play it to large groups of people, but psytrance uses a lot of noises that manage to actually sound better coming out of a huge rig.