Ordering albums overseas (questions..)

Jon Cocco

I generally order Psytrance albums from Saikosounds and Psyshop. Occasionally amazon.co.uk for a used CD or a rarity, should one pop up. It seldom but does happen.

Question: Why are the albums often around 15 dollars plus 3 for shipping on Amazon AND when I order off amazon.co.uk they charge me roughly 6-10 pounds or euros? Why can't amazon.co.uk simply charge me the more respectable overseas price for shipping as saikosounds and psyshop do, 3 dollars? To charge 7-8 Euros currently comes to around 11-13 dollars I believe!

Question: Why does Psyshop NEVER seem to have good albums in their SALE BIN at the middle left of their home page? It's just as rare for Psyshop to update their sale bin, i.e: 9.95, 7.99, 3.99, etc. Almost all the albums suck! I realize some Joe Shmoe will buy crappy albums because they're cheap, but for example (left side)

http://www.psyshop.com/

It would be great if PENTA'S new album for example (and many others) went on sale for anywhere between $9.99 to 12.99 for the first week of release to stimulate sales. In my opinion a Psy site which would work as a best buy concept site would be extremely successful. It's somewhat expensive to order one CD for roughtly $18.50 including shipping and tax when it's not a rarity, let alone several. The last time I struck a great deal was Jikkenteki - The Long Walk Home , a wonderful price for a wonderful double album; it cost $9.99 from off Saikosounds back in the middle of 2007 and I was so happy about this that I got others to order it too. I'm sure some of those people did the same. More deals like that would be terrific and much appreciated. It stimulates shopping. :)

I recently went to order the Oood - Free Range album because it's currently not available on Saikosounds or Psyshop. On their main site it's £10.00. £10.00!! That means the album will cost me 20-30 dollars unless it includes shipping and/or tax.. which is over priced. For instance..

http://www.organicrecords.net/pages/index-4.html

I'm sorry but I feel that the overseas sites are seriously ripping off the consumer more and more each year. They're taking advantage of a fanbase which is faithful to the genre(s) they like; retail stores throughout the world have better sales on albums times ten.

Overseas shipping is, simply put, expensive.

It happenned only a few times, but when I ordered lots off saikosounds, I bought 3 CDs and payed for 5...

You see, the example you made of O.O.O.D.'s newset album going for 10.00 quids is relatively expensive, but the deal is: an album is worth only the amount you are willing to pay for it. You think it's overpriced? You thinks it costs too much? Well, don't buy it then :)

I mean, you have people giving over 100 euros for used, alleged must own rarities, and not complaining about getting ripped off.

Maybe the expensive, or exaggerated shipping prices have something to do with you living in the US?

Maybe the shipping policy for America demands you to spend more? I don't know...

As for psyshop's SALE BIN, I think this is the wrong place to ask that question. I think you should send a mail directly to the source, their customer service.

I rarely order from saikosounds, as the shipping prices are blown out of proportion, and I never end up closing a good deal when buying from them.

Psyshop has always been a huge no-no in my book as they still don't deliver to Croatia, so I gave up on that sorry ass shop years ago.

Beatspace is my #1 choice, but I wouldn't recommend it to you, since you live in the US, and you'd still be complaining about shipping prices :lol:

Question: Why does Psyshop NEVER seem to have good albums in their SALE BIN at the middle left of their home page? It's just as rare for Psyshop to update their sale bin, i.e: 9.95, 7.99, 3.99, etc. Almost all the albums suck! I realize some Joe Shmoe will buy crappy albums because they're cheap, but for example (left side)

I recently went to order the Oood - Free Range album because it's currently not available on Saikosounds or Psyshop. On their main site it's £10.00 not including shipping. £10.00!!! That means the album will cost me 20-30 dollars which is over priced. For instance..

http://www.organicrecords.net/pages/index-4.html

At least the answer to that is (at least from my point of view) rather obvious. I think psyshop only puts stuff into their sale bin which they have a hard time to get rid off. So it's not a surprise that you can't find any killargh albums in that list.

And it seems that you were unlucky with the OOOD album. How I understand it the current offer for 10£ includes shipping and to me this seems a reasonable price. Or maybe that's just because CDs here are way more expensive than in the neighbour countries. <_<

My €0.02:

I live in Malta. When i buy from psyshop.com it's not a fluke that they deliver after 48 hours - not joking. This for the lowest postage ever seen to me: €3-00!

Saikosounds sells CD somewhat cheaper - and especially with the current $ downfall it's more convenient moneywise. For 1 CD postage is around $6 only REGISTERED - again cheapest considering the vast distance.

Psyshop vs. Saikosounds ? Unless you need CD's very quickly, saikosounds is cheaper to me when buying more than 1 CD.

Amazon.de/co.uk/com ? Fuck-off! Postage and handling is daylight robbery.

Overseas shipping is, simply put, expensive.

the deal is: an album is worth only the amount you are willing to pay for it. You think it's overpriced? You thinks it costs too much? Well, don't buy it then :)

I mean, you have people giving over 100 euros for used, alleged must own rarities, and not complaining about getting ripped off.

Oh I agree. But these aren't rarities. I spent around $30 for a used CD before. Both X-Dream albums (Trip and Happiness) cost around $60 combined when Tunnel site decided to rape my ass. They didn't inform me that the shipping would be a fortune until the order went through if I remember correctly. And I didn't complain. I simply didn't order from them again. I even almost spent $75 for a copy of Blue Planet Corp in New condition on Ebay but someone beat me to it which is cool. I'm happy with my 320 kbps rip. :D Nonetheless I enjoy buying albums I love for my collection and hobby. I trust Psyhop and Saikosounds the most when ordering Psy albums new.

But why does it cost so much less to order on Psyshop and Saikosounds in relation to Amazon.co.uk I wonder is the question...

Aren't these CDs available at local/major/specified music stores in USA?

No, haha. I can't even buy a blow up doll. j/k! Seriously, I can't even buy, let alone order Eat Static's new album so I got it on Saikosounds. Juno Reactor is the RARE exception because Metropolis Records is in Philadelphia, PA - USA, the label who distributes JR.

Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, Target, Cosco, Walmart, FYI, you name it. It seems that 99 out of a hundred people never even heard of Psytrance including the people who I ask to look it up.. so I stopped looking. Less known corporate stores in the USA are Toons and Music World and they won't order them either. Their distributer doesn't carry them or they don't have it in their system, their cpu. Infected Mushroom? Same thing. I thought with all the commercial success with IM at least their album would find it to our stores. Maybe some little place(s) carry it that I never heard of but I've been in the loop for 10 years now and have never bought a psytrance album in the stores.

As far as Electronica goes most stores carry or can order New Age and Trip Hop stuff, which is great, some of it.. but Psy is like an unknown language for some reason. Same goes for Downtempo and you know what that means for Goa, lol. Yet I occasionally attend these massive parties and sure enough, many people seem to know about Psyshop and Saikosounds. Those two places alone must bring in millions each year. It's like they're monopolized or close to it IMO, the online Psy shops anyway.

The difference in shipping prices is a dirty profit making scheme! There is no reason that the shipping price from the same place should be different but it is in so many cases. I've bought things off of ebay in the past not noticing that some git is charging $15 for shipping <_< Dirty disgusting bastards trying to make an extra buck :angry:

Jikkenteki ships free to worldwide but some people see the cheap price tag & automatically assume it's shit. They can't believe that someone would sell anything good so cheaply. Yes people are cynical as fuck these days and that's probably why you only find shit in the sale bin in psy shop. If they put a new album in there a lot of people would just assume WOW!!! That must be so goddamn shite, I'm not bothering with that and it could actually have a negative affect on sales.

About the £10.00 price tag on OOOD - Free Range, well that's the strength of the Pound at the moment. When I was in England 5 years ago a CD would cost between £14 & £18 in the shops and it's the same here in Japan. I buy off Saiko Sounds because even with the shipping it works out much cheaper, but I'm closer to Hong Kong than you are in America so the postage would be cheaper. I must note that on orders over 2 or 3 CDs I find it cheaper to have it shipped via courier but I don't know what it's like in the US. I also find the shipping lightening fast too :D

What you really need is for the US$ to recover soon or maybe you could start your own business importing. You said there were many people at parties so there is a fan base in the US & probably everyone is sick & tired of shipping costs on imports. If you buy in bulk from the labels you could probably get cheaper shipping & maybe a discount on what you buy then you could sell them for a small profit to others in the US. Start small & build it up so you could be the North American Equivalent of Saiko Sounds ;)

Oh I agree. But these aren't rarities. I spent around $30 for a used CD before. Both X-Dream albums (Trip and Happiness) cost around $60 combined when Tunnel site decided to rape my ass. They didn't inform me that the shipping would be a fortune until the order went through if I remember correctly. And I didn't complain. I simply didn't order from them again. I even almost spent $75 for a copy of Blue Planet Corp in New condition on Ebay but someone beat me to it which is cool. I'm happy with my 320 kbps rip. :D Nonetheless I enjoy buying albums I love for my collection and hobby. I trust Psyhop and Saikosounds the most when ordering Psy albums new.

But why does it cost so much less to order on Psyshop and Saikosounds in relation to Amazon.co.uk I wonder is the question...

No, haha. I can't even buy a blow up doll. j/k! Seriously, I can't even buy, let alone order Eat Static's new album so I got it on Saikosounds. Juno Reactor is the RARE exception because Metropolis Records is in Philadelphia, PA - USA, the label who distributes JR.

Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA, Target, Cosco, Walmart, FYI, you name it. It seems that 99 out of a hundred people never even heard of Psytrance including the people who I ask to look it up.. so I stopped looking. Less known corporate stores in the USA are Toons and Music World and they won't order them either. Their distributer doesn't carry them or they don't have it in their system, their cpu. Infected Mushroom? Same thing. I thought with all the commercial success with IM at least their album would find it to our stores. Maybe some little place(s) carry it that I never heard of but I've been in the loop for 10 years now and have never bought a psytrance album in the stores.

As far as Electronica goes most stores carry or can order New Age and Trip Hop stuff, which is great, some of it.. but Psy is like an unknown language for some reason. Same goes for Downtempo and you know what that means for Goa, lol. Yet I occasionally attend these massive parties and sure enough, many people seem to know about Psyshop and Saikosounds. Those two places alone must bring in millions each year. It's like they're monopolized or close to it IMO, the online Psy shops anyway.

You make it sound impossible. In fact, my best finds when I was collecting came from American record stores [and a few German ones].

A Mint UNPLAYED Dimension 5 - Transdimensional CD, from a record store on the east coast, 9.50 shipped! Sold later to Senobyte [everybody knows him by now or should :)]

On any note, it's not impossible, but yeah, your corporate stores, carry it? Not yet, soon though with the way psy is consuming, but there again, it does use psychedelic and american culture today is anti-psychedelic, at least mainstream. ;)

Last thing I think Best Buy wants is the DEA sitting outside waiting for somebody to buy a psychedelic trance CD ha ha.

-d

Psyshops shipping is fairly good. $20 US for ~8 CDs, considering Germany to New Zealand.

Saikosounds is better $15 for regular (about 8 CDs again) and some how express works out always a few dollars cheaper so for a few dollars less I get the CDs in 2 days rather than 1-2 weeks.

Amazon US is $5.XX and Amazon UK is 3.XXGBP, both fair. Amazon DE is 15 Euro for one CD, complete rip. Only time I got something off there was Ayla - Nirwana because even with the insane BS shipping the CD was costing me less as its somewhat rare. Dont regret that money spent either as thats a brilliant album.

OOOD - Free Range is one of those CDs you have to keep checking back for as it took awhile for me to get, just got it a few weeks back.

I tend to buy all my CDs from eBay, Amazon, Psyshop, Saikosounds etc because New Zealands a rip off. On average a CD here is $30US. Whereas half the time I can get the same CD shipped for only $20US.

An average price of a psy cd here in Japan is 2,600-3,400 Yen, whish is equivalent to about 23-30 american dollars every time. Plus you get to buy a nicely priced train ticket to get there as well. So add another 10-20 dollars to the price of the cds. Thats to the store and back home. Its nothing for me to spend 75 dollars just to ride the train, buy two albums and ride the train back home. No matter what, psyshop for me is always alot cheaper.

As a US citizen and psytrance fan, I can agree with Jon that stores in the US treat psy like it was Ebola. They must figure that if they have never heard of it, the fanbase must be negligible, and therefore profitless. I order from Saiko mostly and usually do 30-40 Cds at a time. My courier shipping price is around $28-$35. This seems like expensive shipping, but when there is no other way to get your daily dose of psy....

Psyshop is fine but their shipping rates are usually higher than Saiko's. Beatspace has great customer service and pretty quick shipping, but their prices for CDs are higher.

I don't think that stores like Saiko or Psyshop are making millions because I don't think there are that many fans of the genre to make it that profitable.

Mdk

As a US citizen and psytrance fan, I can agree with Jon that stores in the US treat psy like it was Ebola. They must figure that if they have never heard of it, the fanbase must be negligible, and therefore profitless. I order from Saiko mostly and usually do 30-40 Cds at a time. My courier shipping price is around $28-$35. This seems like expensive shipping, but when there is no other way to get your daily dose of psy....

Psyshop is fine but their shipping rates are usually higher than Saiko's. Beatspace has great customer service and pretty quick shipping, but their prices for CDs are higher.

I don't think that stores like Saiko or Psyshop are making millions because I don't think there are that many fans of the genre to make it that profitable.

Mdk

i know someone working at psyshop, and I hear they are doing VERY good ;):D

i know someone working at psyshop, and I hear they are doing VERY good ;):D

Glad to hear it :D

Glad someones making money somewhere out of CDs & Vinyl

Are you really? It is artist and labels who should receive this money!

Don't know if you're all aware of this, but Arabesque (the biggest psytrance distributor at the moment, AFAIK) have their own shop on UK's amazon site and they were selling brand new stuff there for 5GBP, which is half the price the UK's stores charge. If they (the distibutor) are selling it for a fiver, how much do you think artists & labels receive?! Not to mention printing & promotion costs... No wonder then, that Organic Rec. want 10GBP for latest OOOD's album to make up for that... No wonder that psyshop (and others probably too) are doing VERY well, if 50% of the CDs price goes to their pocket, with another 20-25% going to the distributor and maybe only 10% to the artist...

As for the on-topic, I feel your pain Jon - here in Poland it is also almost impossible to buy psytrance music. No shops carry it on a regular basis, and only some second-hand ones have couple of discs once in a while when someone decides to clear his shelves... On the other hand, I'm in Europe so the possibilities to buy on-line are there - I've got Psyshop right outside the border, so it is really fast (like 3-4 business days). However, because I buy at least 4-5 CDs in one go, I prefer dealing with Saikosounds. They charge less for single CD and for 4-5 CDs the shipping is even better (providing I'm not using 'Courier' option, which is ridiculous). The only problem is, that it takes a bit over a week for the package to arrive, but they make up for it with MUCH better (than Psyshop's) customer service. I never had problems with Psyshop though, but for some intangible reason I just don't like them - on their front page they do not show all the new arrivals (you've got to click 'New' to see them), the 'CD of the week' thing is always some shitty full-on from Chemical Crew or the likes, as far as I remeber, they've updated their 'Stock sale' once in 3-4 years time it is there, their 'Best of goa-trance' section has nothing else but YSE's compilations etc... Beatspace is overpriced for me and I find the UI annoying :rolleyes:

And quit whining people - 95% of you live in so called 'developed Western countries' and in relative terms you earn much more than people in Poland, Russia, Turkey, Greece or Ukraine, yet the price of a CD is (more or less) the same throughout the world. If we can afford it, so can you :P;):D

Yeah, but it's better than nobody making anything at all.

If you put it that way, then yeah - I agree. But then it's not as beneficial for the scene as it could have been if it was organised the other way around (say 30% for the artist, 30% for the label and the remaining 40% splitted between distributor and retailer).

If you put it that way, then yeah - I agree. But then it's not as beneficial for the scene as it could have been if it was organised the other way around (say 30% for the artist, 30% for the label and the remaining 40% splitted between distributor and retailer).

Yeah, in an ideal world the artists & labels would get much more money. Hell these people should be subsidised by the government for helping entertain us ;)