Mixing beats in Psytrance.

TRohr

It's just impossible sometimes.... I pull it off pretty well when I take a loop from the bits before phrases but often times there aren't any specific beats or anything. Just wizzy, flying, squelchy stuff. It's hard to create decent loops too because right as one squelchy noise ends another starts or everything is ramped (it's climbing in pitch or something).... When it comes to DJ'ing there are a lot of people that won't even consider you a person if you don't mix beats, but is it acceptable to just mix the stuff before phrases? I figure if anyone bitches I can just say "but that's my style" or something along those lines.... What's your guy's thoughts on beat mixing~? Am I an actual person if I just mix the stuff in between phrases?

focus on the kick and snare and it should definitly be possible. if you are totally lost in which one goes faster totally lower the speed of one and go up by 0.7 % untill its roughly the same speed.

Take two similar tracks or even two tracks that are the same and try to match those.

Good luck!

It's just impossible sometimes.... I pull it off pretty well when I take a loop from the bits before phrases but often times there aren't any specific beats or anything. Just wizzy, flying, squelchy stuff. It's hard to create decent loops too because right as one squelchy noise ends another starts or everything is ramped (it's climbing in pitch or something).... When it comes to DJ'ing there are a lot of people that won't even consider you a person if you don't mix beats, but is it acceptable to just mix the stuff before phrases? I figure if anyone bitches I can just say "but that's my style" or something along those lines.... What's your guy's thoughts on beat mixing~? Am I an actual person if I just mix the stuff in between phrases?

You have got to do what sounds good, wherher it is beatmixing or breakmixing. You should not just decide upon one way simply out of principle. When I started mixing, a friend that I trust a lot told me not to forget to be patient and those words always repeat themselves in my head when I get frustrated with my skills (or lack of)...

So, work (listen) harder and be patient!

It might be that the songs you are trying to mix don't have enough in common... personally, I look at it this way: trance music is meant to provide access into a hypnotic state of mind. Any sort of "trainwrecking" (poorly synchronized beatmatching) spoils that effect. Mixing the ambient parts of songs is acceptable, but if that's all you're doing then the effect is muffled. When the beats flow together and the songs merge into one another you can obtain much better results. Try any of my mixes if you would like to hear this in action :) Mystic Revelation in particular...

As an aside, I have never found loops to be of any real use in mixing psytrance. It really depends on what you're working with, however.

It might be that the songs you are trying to mix don't have enough in common... personally, I look at it this way: trance music is meant to provide access into a hypnotic state of mind. Any sort of "trainwrecking" (poorly synchronized beatmatching) spoils that effect. Mixing the ambient parts of songs is acceptable, but if that's all you're doing then the effect is muffled. When the beats flow together and the songs merge into one another you can obtain much better results. Try any of my mixes if you would like to hear this in action :) Mystic Revelation in particular...

As an aside, I have never found loops to be of any real use in mixing psytrance. It really depends on what you're working with, however.

When will we hear your new set, btw?

Well, as soon as I can find the time... and the money to fix my decks :( I have been trying to polish off several works-in-progress for years now. There is one mix in particular that I call "Lonely Orbit" about a man lost in space sending radio waves back to Earth (inspired by Walt Dangerfield, a character in PKD's Dr. Bloodmoney)... this one has been in draft and pretty close to complete since 2003! That should give you an idea of the time-scale for some of these mixes... but yeah, right now my crossfader is shot to hell and the platter on one of my CDJ-200s is giving me trouble, so it might be a while before I get back to finishing anything. Any money I have is going toward mastering fees for the upcoming Ektoplazm netlabel releases, not fixing my gear unfortunately. Live sets are another matter--but I can't plan that--they either come out or they don't.

Concerning the topic, you have to understand that matching beats in psytrance is like farting at the dinner table.

My friend once played at a party, while he was playing orgs came over to him and said "Oh come on! Nobody beat-matches suomi!" :ph34r::blink:

quitters never win and winners never quit

if quitting is such an easy option then maybe psytrance isnt for you

go download some mario brothers soundtracks and come back when youve practiced

Oh comon how can you complain about not being able to do loops? It just proves that psytrance is generally a better genre then others.

Oh comon how can you complain about not being able to do loops? It just proves that psytrance is generally a better genre then others.

Yeah? I wasn't aware of this fact... Why does the inability to make loops qualify psytrance as an immediately superior genre? I really don't understand.