Krusselddorf - Smokers Lounge

Melancholyman

Artist: Krusseldorf

Label: Iboga/Sofa Beats

Posted Image

Behind “Krusseldorf”, is Simon Heath, from Sweden.

Simon, born in 1977, started producing when he early on played around with his Amiga and a microphone. In the years that have followed, Simon got involved in numerous projects and developed his knowledge and skills. During the process and through the years, he has been part of writing 10 albums and additionally many other tracks on compilations and other albums, released under various names, touching a broad range of ambient, dub, IDM and psy music. Simon has reached a very high level both in story telling and production technique, and the new album is full of brilliant music, written with passion and heart.

Tracks:

01.The conductor

02.Scraping the surface

03.Rucksack of tricks

04.Chained

05.A place long gone

06.Unload

07.Glugg

08.Welcome

09.Higher culture

10.Spinal block

11.Knak

12.Puffstop

13.Death notes / Vapor

The albums starts of with a nice mystical melody that kinda sets the mood for this entire musical journey. I experience a little bitter taste in my mind before the melody ends when it smoothly transforms into track 2. The conductor, a tune which sets you into a suspicious mood, with piano elements that sounds a little like as if IM had made a downtempo track on Classical, which is a great thing. 03 Rucksack of tricks changes the direction we were heading in, I think here some people might get off cause of the kinda steep change, rucksack is a little circus inspired, which suits the name kinda nice so it was probably intended, not a really great track but if you can live past it there is more to come and it gets better. 04.Chained feels like a natural development after track 2, whereas Rucksack could have been skipped to give the album some more cohesiveness. The track ends with a female voice sample whispering something and boom we head upwards towards lighter places in 05 A place long gone, which has some similarity with rucksack of tricks but without the little insanity blinblong circus mood, clearly a better track.

07.Glugg this is prolly my favorite track on the album, very lightheaded with caressing melodies which just makes you want you to lay down and hold someone really tight ( a gf pref). My first though that came into my mind when I heard this track was, ”what I really want is just to lay back, relax, just leave everything aside and feel free” and I never felt that since I smoked weed which is a long time ago now.

10.Spinal block a really cool track , with fairy taylish atmospheres and sounds that makes you feel they are actually alive and talking to you. 11.Knak takes you to an enormous desolated place kinda if you were floating slowly through space.

13.Death notes a mellow wonderful track with a cello playing in the background, taking you through the streets of Stockholm on a Saturday night in summer.

Someone (snapinho) claimed that this album sounded a little bit like Bluetech's earlier works and I cannot really agree. Sure there might be some similiarites how the tracks are built and a little jazz influences here and there but it clearly has it's own touch and it never sounds like something Evan would have produced. And also I want to be careful comparing music with Bluetech since everything will sound as shite compared :)

This is a great album, it doesn't sound like anything else I've heard in the downtempo genre, there a cool new sounds and new ideas everywhere. It's a nice breeze coming out of nowhere. There is indeed a kind of melancholic feel over the album just like Bluetechs(damn!) but just as in Evan's work it isn't something negative. This is clearly one of the best downtempo releases of 2007 and it's becoming my personal favorite of this year wich earlier was Sync24 – Source.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn I imagine tripping to this dark stuff of his, must be an trip to remember or wanting to forget! This endless ocean of music is always leading me into new paths, wonderful..but so much to buy, so little time and money...life is too short...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn I imagine tripping to this dark stuff of his, must be an trip to remember or wanting to forget! This endless ocean of music is always leading me into new paths, wonderful..but so much to buy, so little time and money...life is too short...

To remember ; )

• 1 year later...