How old were you

pawelek

Now my question. I hope you won't mind answering it. Didnt you feel lonely in the psy world being so young ?

You know 9-12 years old is kid :) I didnt know anyone else beside me for years that liked psytrance. All my mates were into some rave/dance/eurotrance anthems. I felt totaly isolated. Seriosuly, it's weird feeling...

There are many pluses i think of starting psy journeym so early. You can build your independence! Kids at the age of 10 are so easily open minded for mainstream influences, all the viva/mtv shit...I think it's inredible hard to stay away from those things especialy when you're so young :)

I'm not saying i wasnt listening to commercial stuff, but my point is that goa/psy became my life :) Any other genre wasnt giving me such an fantastic ecperiences like psy.

The thing was that I wasn't only listening to psy at that time, I was listening to "everything". Techno, trance, some ambient ... back then the genres weren't taken over by genre nazis so there was a lot more versatile music if you bought a compilation for instance. But I guess KLF was the thing that started it all when I was 10, I remember being very amazed by that.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 for me. I am impressed at all the people who were listening to psytrance when they were 15 - back then I was listening to shit like Oasis. Though in my defence that was a brief transition period before which I only listened to classical and baroque music.

hehe, i just recently started to like oasis :D

before discovering psy with 12 yrs (almost 10 yrs ago), i listened to metal. my dad introduced me to all this, i spent a lot of time flipping through his vinyl collection as a child, i knew it by heart :) after discovering psy, i didn't listen to anything else until 2 or 3 years ago. nowadays i listen to all kinds of music.

At the tender age of 8-9 I only started to drool after The Prodigy. "Voodoo People" and "Poison" were so huge it was impossible to miss 'em. Psy trance? If back in '94 you knew what that was and were living in Croatia, you're my hero...

I got into psy trance when psy trance parties started to take place in Zagreb... I mean, I knew who MWNN and A.P. were, but I considered 'em all techno acts :rolleyes:

Oh good topic.

I was 1 years old, younger than all of you. Haha. Just kididn. Not funny.

Mind if I share my little experience with you all? Thanks that would be great. :D

When I first heard "Prodigy" I was blown away. The year was 1994. I was 13 or 14 years old. I quickly bought every Prodigy album, Music For the Jilted Generation being my favorite until Firestarter made me nuts. This led to the discovery of many other techno albums including LORDS OF ACID (used to LOVE that shit) and eventually Crystal Method's Vegas. I really thought I had the best collection. I thought it couldn't be topped. I got to live in this wonderful, delusional world (in my mind) for three years. Then in 1998 I went to a summer program called the NY Film Academy to study film and get hands-on experience for being a director. One of my filmmaker buddies had a fairly big Electronica collection.

Upon first look I laughed. I thought, what the flick is a Future Sound Of London? I slipped it into the stereo and pressed play.. *Pause*, (several seconds later) "What the hell is this boring ambient shit?" lol. (I really had no idea!!) Then I came across a compilation called "Future Sound of America." Not realizing my favorite electronica artists were NOT Americans just because I bought their stuff in the US, I figured this FSOA comp would be cool because Americans made the best Electronica (when in reality they make some of the worst shit I have ever heard in my entire life, no offense America).

I was 17 by now. What did I know. On the back of the FSOA case I saw artists I NEVER heard of before. The tracklist included the likes of Astral Projection (Kabalah), Miranda, Deedrah (The Wizard Demo), Hallucinogen (Gamma Goblins), Transwave (Malaka Dance, Land of Freedom), MWNN, etc. Curious and intrigued by this mystery, I put the CD in and from the opening track (Kabalah) I would say Astral Projection forever changed my life, followed by others. From that day, for the rest of the summer sleep away academy in 1998 I listened in awe to this compilation. I studied to it, did exercises to it, etc. I couldn't get the music out of my mind...(!!) It was beyond anything I had ever heard. When the course ended I looked up Astral Projection (amongst others) on my home cpu and found a site called Phonokol Records. I ordered AP's Astral Files, TNT 3, Dancing Galaxy, and something that looked pretty called "California Sunshine." Soon after I came across a site called FutureTrance (not the same anymore I think), Matsuri Records main site (for the Transwave ones), Dragonfly(Pleiadians), Psyshop, Amazon.co.uk, Saikosounds, and more.

It wasn't long until I adopted this music as a great passion and hobby. I traded in almost a thousand or so albums to make money and space for a growing Goa, Psytrance, and eventually Downtempo, and Chill collection.

In retrospect, I can't think of a more appropriate song for my introduction to Goatrance than Kabalah.. :)

I was 17. Now I'm 27. ;)

Incidentally the first psytrance I heard was 1200 Micrograms' first album. Say what you like about them, but if you've never heard psy before and somebody gets you stoned and plays you that through a good pair of speakers it will blow you away.

• 2 weeks later...

i was 20 when i started getting into electronic but in 93 finding goa music wasn't easy, but i could tell there was something to this crazy stuff with the beats

i think it was more like 94/5 before i heard any real trance music, which i would barely call psytrance now, although we did call it that then.

I must have been around 12-14 something like that before it really stroke me. I'm 19 at the moment. First Psychedelic music I heard was Hallucinogen - Snakey Shaker, from destination goa vol. 5 cd2. Released in 96 or so, but I heard it the first time in 2001. :)

When I was about 14 I saw some old Eat Static, Juno Reactor and maybe some Astral Projection videos on an old MTV show, Amp. But the first release I ever bought was Eat Static-Abduction, when I was 16 (which sadly was destroyed in the ensuing years). So I guess, 14? But I was about 22 when I REALLY started to get into it, when my collection became material to play out rather than just enjoy at home, and then the 2 Pioneers entered my life...

i was 20 when i started getting into electronic but in 93 finding goa music wasn't easy, but i could tell there was something to this crazy stuff with the beats

I thought it was easier as everything you could buy sounded so good :) Now there is so much to shift through <_<