Monitor Setup.

So here it is, im rather busy trying to get 5 tracks finished, but I get CRAPPY sound here in my new studio. In holland I really had a nice setup, considering the room and everything, but I just CAN NOT get them setup properly here (the Genelec 1029A's). Ive managed to get them somewhat nicely setup, but not really propah, if you get my drift, they are just not "Crisp" hehe.

Well, does anyone know some calibration software or room setup software?

Any hints and pointers to FREE software is welcome, and anything around th 50 EURO mark does as well.

Thanks in advance!

Nemo DX Zimmer //Colo-Caos

Whats your room like? Pics?

Describe the way they sound more and the way you think they could sound. Some super mild EQ could fix your problem or moving it to another part of the room could as well.

im more looking for a PERFECT stereo picture at the moment to be honest. angle of the speakers and height of course :)

You need a sound engineer like me to come and fix it.

I charge 200e an hour.

thank you, but no thank you. i think the fact that I was kind enough to change your nick to what it is now here on psynews should be enough for you to give the courtesy not to be an asshole ;)

acid, checked that out. I actually read previous Sound on Sound and found some software that might help me, ill report back later with results :)

I actually read previous Sound on Sound and found some software that might help me, ill report back later with results :)

Report if u find crack somewhere for that, you know me..

Anyways I think its best that u do setup yourself with no programs, you just need to know what you're doing and if u still don't, which I doubt, theres plenty tutorials on that topic..

Here is example tutorial on that topic although I don't know what so big problem about setting up the speakers, you just need to set your speakers in a triangle with your with your ears and they need to be in height of your ears, for monitoring you will probably put them on the sides of the monitor (preferably lcd or magnetic isolated speakers so u don't burn the monitor,(which is pretty cool although))..

Do you have stands for that genelec? I guess your heaving problems cause u don't have stands, otherwise I don't see why the sound would be crappy..

Are u doing test with that 5 unfinished tracks? Have u consider some wavs particularly meant for testing the speakers?

But if u really want some soft try this as well RPG Inc.

Man, I already told u, go through Golden ears tutorial and than u can setup your room how u want it, u don't need an engineer, u will have the skills of engineer.. I think I first have to set my ears so I can hear that crisp of the sound and than try to set speakers.. U probably developed your ears better but I feel like I'm deaf, I need so much more ear training.. And thats crap, cause that comes gradually..

If u didn't get it, I'm saying that no software can replace your ears. U gotta rely on yourself, not on some software.. Im bugging with spectrum analyzers cause I don't hear properly but when I develop some basic skills I wont need any spectrum analyzer.. U have ears, use them..

Get your room treated acoustically. I'm talking bass traps, diffusers, etc.

Just playing with the positionining of your monitors may help a bit, but it won't solve the problem.

"Room calibration" software won't help as well. It tells you where your problem is, not how to solve it.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

good luck.

Get your room treated acoustically. I'm talking bass traps, diffusers, etc.

Just playing with the positionining of your monitors may help a bit, but it won't solve the problem.

"Room calibration" software won't help as well. It tells you where your problem is, not how to solve it.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

good luck.

thank you VERY MUCH for this link. Been looking for a while for this kind of article. Now I just gotta get Cristina to print it out for me. This is good for when I move to the garage studio (darn is it going to be nice to build the studio) :)

I suggest following Mike A's advice.

Your rooms characteristics are essential. Is it a square room? Is the height to the roof dividable with the length between the walls? If so, you're in for some acoustic treatment. Most important in most rooms is to make sure the corners are damped. I put several months looking into and learning about the subject. My room sounds a LOT better now than before. There is a pdf circulating around with tips on how to improve the acoustics in a room the budget way. I'll see if I can find it somewhere for you.

/FF*

danke m0n! :D

danke m0n! :D

I'm joining to waiting of that pdf, although mike A presented plenty of information, if not too much.. One day Im sure gona need that info but for now setting of the speakers is all I can do, no room treatment.. I have some sponges, but don't know where would be best place to put them.. Probably this info will solve that problem.. Much thanks..

Eddy: Man that mike A's info is awesome.. I'm already investigating where to get that rigid fiberglass.. I choosed Knauf.. And combine that with acoustic foam I have, I must get some results..

My speakers are near the windows, is that bad? I see it good for "isolating" external noize..

I also have pair of speakers hanging on chains in opposite wall corners to create "pseudo-quadrophonia" again, Is that bad? I see it good for adding positive pressure from behind instead of negative coming from walls..Yeah and a pair of speakers below main pair, to add some bass..

Another Eddy: I found this Minirator MR1 great tool for testing but I also have some professional sound files with pink noise and sine waves for testing purposes..

I just wanna know, how low can u go.. I can hear 65 Hz tested with that Minirator..

And Nemo I wanna especially know how low can your genelecs go..

Weird thing, after gettin through that Acoustic Treatment and Design for

Recording Studios and Listening Rooms tutorial I found at the end that I have mirror treatment of the room unconsciously.. Cool.. Don't have to set that up..