FL Studio Questions

Here's one, Bobby, how do I setup my live act in FL Studio??

A: The short or elitist answer is get Ableton Live

The long answer is:

You'll have to render out a huge portion of your tracks into wavs and then compile them all together in a 60 minute "live act" file - with each of your (channel)tracks rendered out seperately or however you see fit. Then compose some transitions to make it all seamless.

Next, you will have to decide whether you want to sell out and just hit the play button and look like you're busy with EQ (not uncommon) or if you will actually do something live. Decide which elements you want to automate and port the vsti's or fx or whatever into the live act project file and map out the knobs or sliders or w/e to your midi controllers. The tough part is you will have to do some major copy and pasting and aligning - open 2 instances of FL and just export inport scores, synths, fx, everything, into your live act file that you may plan on automating live. Then link up knobs/sliders to your controller for everything you want to automate - it may be a good idea to use post-it notes or a sheet of paper to tell you what is all linked incase you forget. I would also do a full automation pass to get the default values/ auto in the live act that way if a knob or slider is bumped by accident it wont fubar how they should be on the synths.

The big alternative to this is to just do it live with some on the fly mousework and just link your midi controller input on the fly - with FL this is thankfully easy enough, however this trades off ease for more work on stage and more potential to mess something up - try to do this all in the most fail-proof way you can imagine and make notes for yourself

So you have to do all this (render to wav and port only what you want to automate) because of CPU usage, which shouldnt exceed 50 or so for stability and to keep headroom open for automation processing. the less cpu the better, and put everything you put into the channel rollout to "smart disable" to save more cpu.

This all is how I IMAGINE to do a live act with FL - its a lot of work no matter who you are or what you use, I'll emphasize that each person does it differently and finds their own way to do it (just like production) - also I dont have direct experience on a stage with this so dont trust me too much :) but if you dont know where to start - this should help. how elaborate and how "live" you can make this is up to you but at minimum all you need is the wavs to crossfade into eachother in one big file and then hit the play button, and unfortunately quite a few people do this, then "look busy".

Ehehehe, well I'm joking around here but really the inspiration is independant :) For me I always have a goal to accomplish with whatever I'm working on and the message comes from the vibes and experiences around me - and especially so the people I love and wish to party with - even if I haven't met them yet ;) I mean whatever your inspiration is its always there within you,

Anyone can do it - it is not a special tallent, you all have your own way of bringing it out. Art itself is a collective consciousness and all the individual can do is pull strands out of this pool via the form of inspiration. Everyone is capable of inspiration and everyone is capable of art. The technical aspects such as learning how to hold a brush, which colors to blend, what angle to catch, what knob to tweak or what frequency to boost...all this is a short hill that can be overcome in little time, but once you get to the horizon everyone is on the same page - talent has jack to do with it, its all inspiration and motivation as any artist can tell you - you rely on yourself obviously, not a green delight - though it's qualities certainly make it a good tool for those seeking to connect with their creative side more rawly.

The wav editor in FL? I actually almost never use it so I'm not the best person to ask - any quick editing I need to do like that I do in goldwave simply because I've used it forever and am used to it. Sonic foundry is definately the most powerful - but how much power do you really need? I'll often prefer speed and ease of use to a thousand paramaters I will never have time to learn. To answer your question it gets the job done, but if you want to know whether to use it I'd say just go with what you're most comfortable in. FL's wav editor is directly in the studio so you can use it immediatly and not have to juggle programs.

well to be honest i could never find this:

Posted Image

and that's just such a basic thing and so i was just turned off from the very beginning. and i thought about it and decided why even bother? i can use vst's for everything i need and i do my tracking in ACID anyways. maybe i just don't know what i'm missing, but i can't think of anything else i need.

@abort, whats fit? Is that for time stretching a sample or snapping it to a certain speed/tempo?

They have that now and much more flexible and even autodetectible. If you sample in beats or whatever it'll auto beatmatch to the tempo of your track, and is tweakable from there.

Eitherway what I like most about the software is that there are a million ways of doing the same thing. One can always find the way they are most comfortable with.

@strydr

...:o

ya that's for time stretching. actually the version of fruity i use doesn't even do timestretching, it just slows down or speeds up the sample so it fits to 16/32/64/etc beats. i like that though because it feels old skool and can produce some cool unexpected results.

man i have to echo what you said too about there being a million ways to do everything. for that reason fruityloops has to be one of the coolest programs ever made. it's just so... friendly. like it's one of the few programs where i actually feel like it's working with me. like there's nothing hiding, all of it's just right there in front of me at all times. i also love how everything is 3D and you can have you're own background. that's why i like the old version of ACID too, it's totally gay and happy and everything's rainbow colored.

i love it when people who aren't familiar with any of this stuff ask me what i use to make my music and my answer is "FRUITYloops and ACID!" i mean it really lowers the risk of taking oneself too seriously.

• 2 months later...

Thats up to the audio engineer isn't it?

Since FL7 they've updated their audio engine completely and IMO the differences are non existant. Cubase however, is more efficient for it manages audio completely differently, instead of constantly processing it...(hard to explain this), so in the end you will be able to stack more processing on sound in cubase than in FL, but this is only relevent if your PC is 5 years old and doesn't have the CPU headroom.

what can i do for latency compensation?

for instance, now i'm running an internal soundcard on a laptop but if i would buy an external one(firewire), can i put the interpolation and sample rate inside fruity (F10 menu) way up without horrible lag? the internal one is quite powerfull i think and i have two gigs of ram but maybe vista already chews half of that up...

for instance, now i'm running an internal soundcard on a laptop but if i would buy an external one(firewire), can i put the interpolation and sample rate inside fruity (F10 menu) way up without horrible lag? the internal one is quite powerfull i think and i have two gigs of ram but maybe vista already chews half of that up...

your internal sound card sucks. any semi-pro card will perform much much better.

If you obtain a good enough external card it most likely will come with its own built in sample rate and buffer adjustment within its software. FL Studio should compensate if its able to find the driver.