Xenomorph : Demagoguery of the Obscurants (2007)

exotic

Xenomorph is the one-man band of Mark Petrick, based in Berlin (Germany). With over 10 years in the business, Xenomorph is one of the veterans in the trance scene who has played live shows in many countries all around the globe. He sees himself as the inventor of horror-trance, a unique style that was unprecedented in 1996 when he created songs like "Obscure Spectre" which has upset many goa-people and was considered "unspiritual" or "un-goa-ish". Regardless of the initial anti-sentiment against his music he has kept and refined his style throughout the years in which the community has become more open and appreciative for dark music. Unlike most younger trance artists who just listen to trance music, Xenomorph was exposed to a multitude of musical influences like new wave, punk/post-punk, Gothic, rock-music, death-rock, industrial, EBM, power-noise, death-metal, crossover/hardcore as well as classical music and soundtracks. With his 3rd studio album the German producer Mark Petrick presents 10 ambitious trance songs packed into an elaborate concept critically reflecting current, past and future world events.

Posted Image

1. Prognosis

2. Capitalist Infiltration

3. Enslavement by consumption

4. Totalitarian Democracy

5. Secret satanic hierarchy

6. Harbingers of extinction

7. Economic Sabotage

8. Cataclysmic Downfall

9. World War 3

11. Nuclear Winter

Review:

Prognosis

1776 .. What hits me first is the techy baseline with loads of snares thrown here and there .. it doesn't take too long before the guitar starts riffing and the track plunges into an atmosphere charged with ebm and heavy Gothic rhythms and bass ; an imagery of terrible doom and arid wasteland is inevitable .. awesome track to start off the album with.

Capitalist Infiltration

Kicks off with a sample about capitalism .. its obvious from here on that mark is building an album with a message , whether or not it comes across as cheezy is entirely up to the listener to decide. The atmospherics in the track are splendidly crafted with weird fx's filtering in and out between a tight bassline.. the ebm and industrial elements come forth and there's plenty of variation to keep the listener engrossed while maintaining that gothic dark mood. Quite dig this track! im indifferent to the samples as long as the musical content is kept up.

Enslavement by Consumption

EbC is heavily loaded in terms of bassline , sick twisted melodies and effects ..those howling voices and effects creep the hell out of me ..'we're losing autonomy and we're replacing autonomy with civil rights' and then another sample about the U.S and how they've created all these things which .. im not going too much into the samples, so you can look them up in your documentaries concerning those subjects when you do hear them.

Totalitarian Democracy

Guitars!! what separates skazi and xenomorph is that xenomorph is a much better guitarist .. it doesn't in any way sound bad or over done..again loads of variety and guttural vocals amidst samples of totalitarian democracy , military and government.. maybe those samples are getting in the way of appreciating the music. But this is apparently the main feature if the album so if we like it or hate we can definitely not ignore it. The overall sound is cutting edge which is what matters

Secret satanic hierarchy

The mood is a tad melancholic and there's a soothing melody softly appearing through the din , gaining momentum , the bass is not to dark. the psychedelic synth riffs along with the haunting melody provides a compelling atmosphere. What is god ? Is he/she/it both the embodiment of good and evil at different times to different people? makes me wonder . Another cool track imo.

Harbingers Of Extinction

A nice hypnotic baseline, good effects , equally good work on the synths. This is totally dancy material, the lack of too many samples which disturbs the listener between good musical moments actually brings out what xeno is best at.. maybe the samples should appear in places when there's nothing much going on like in this case.

Economic Sabotage

Cool intro , again the appearance of samples sorta detracts from the main theme and I cant help being reminded about vegetal's album where a similar situation ensued. This is weird totally dark trippy and disturbing all at the same time. There's lots going on here: the oldskoolish touches are sublime - acid!!!! One of the better tracks of the album , music wise. The sample here makes me larf because it is much more coherent then the rest of the samples and its true of course "International bankers deal not with the general public but with the industrial giants of the world, with other financial institutions and especially with governments. the key to their success has been to control and manipulate the money system of the nation while appearing to be controlled by the government. but another fact is to create money out of nothing : lend it to the government and then collect interest on it." and another one towards the end about low interest rates having an adverse affect on the investment and economy at large. Interesting but seriously coming back to the question whether such long drawn out are really necessary in a genre where people are there to enjoy the beats than being educated.

Cataclysmic Downfall

I like the fact that we're not really being bombarded by big samples straight up . This sounds like it'll do well in a forest party , derango would be proud . Xeno sticks to what he does best and im really happy with the non- appearance of samples and as soon as i say that a long Armageddon sample finds its way in. Phew! Im bordering now on whether I should take this as a serious education or try and ignore the teachery being hurled at me and concentrate on the music. A decent track nonetheless.

World War 3

Noyce start to things .. a juicy baseline and some good base guitaring makes for a solid combination. World war 3 - something on the scale of a nuclear holocaust with weapons of mass destruction( biological &chemical)- is it upon us ? who's going to be responsible in bringing this about ? No points for guessing who's already in the main frame!

Nuclear Winter

A very gloomy end to a bold album. Such a sad end to the world will be horrible. Images from the movie day after tomorrow appear in my head with the only difference being that nuclear war will cause such upheaval , bringing in the perceivable end before really threating global weather changes can cause any damage. Hope this will not be the case.

This is not your typical dark full power heavy metal influenced brain busting music. Xenomorph has put an emphasis on musical composition with soulful melodies to give the songs a special emotional moments surrounded by scratchy, psychedelic synthesizer riffs unique to the artist that will equally excite melody trance and dark trance listeners. Maybe not ideal for dance floors , it's good for home listening. If not anything else this album makes you sit up and think and take note of certain issues that maybe haven't crossed our minds before and even if they have to dwell upon them and reiterate them just in your own head. Those samples might tire you out in parts , but i'll give a two thumbs up to mark aka xenomorph for putting out an album that couldnt be more in sync in the global context. Give it a try and you might find yourself engaging in a worthwhile conversation about the topics that this album deals with. It did that for me, atleast.

Favorites: 1!,3, 5, 7!!, 8

http://www.myspace.com/xenomorphmusic

Get the album here :

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6858

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/gno/gno1cd002.html

It has its good and it also has its bad moments.

There are moments where it sounds like VAC.Until now i only found VAC tunes to sound like Xenomorph.

The next step is a project between the two,that would be the best thing ever to happen on this reality.

good album,very special atmosphere

You said it all!!

Godfather of dark psychedelic atmospheres is back. Even though i dislike guitars riffs in psytrance, xenomorphs does it realy perfectly. Well, its good album!

He does do it perfect!!

The best thing about this album to me is that there is no other album in my collection that sounds like this, it adds even more diversity to my music selection, and plus its great imo B)

XENOMORPH - DEMAGOGUERY OF THE OBSCURANTS

GENOSTIC RECORDS

Posted Image

Track list

1. Prognosis

2. Capitalist Infiltration

3. Enslavement by consumption

4. Totalitarian Democracy

5. Secret Satanic Hierarchy

6. Harbingers of Extinction

7. Economic Sabotage

8. Cataclysmic Downfall

9. World War 3

10. Nuclear Winter

I was initially worried about my decision to purchase this album after reading some of the comments regarding the album's singing and guitars. I generally do not care for either one in Psytrance. Fortunately the melody/sound, psychedelic, and atmospheric work is some of the best I've heard yet in dark Psytrance. But is this Xenomorph's best album? How much singing is there? :unsure: And what about those guitars? :huh:

The controversial singing or what? There are a total of 4 out of 10 tracks with alterated vocals and/or singing by the artist. These include tracks 2, 4, 5, and 7. At first I hardly recognized the highly pitched alterated (hissing) vocals in the second track because they're incoherent. Why even bother having shit you can't understand was my initial reaction. Moreover, the music is so compelling without the distracting layer of vocal work via the artist. It’s not even coherent or clearly audible most of the time, and if so, maybe a reason I'd dislike the album all together. At least the artist was thoughtful enough to include the dialogue to the lyrics in the inside flip. One of the four artist's vocal related songs isn't even singing (#5) for the most part (assuming it's him or who ever), but deeply, dark talking to interesting effect. Another of the four tracks (#7) is absent save for a brief spot in the end. So basically this album has two tracks with more alterated singing and two with less singing all together out of ten. And that's it!! So let's us not blow things out of proportion. More than half the album has no singing. Same goes for guitars to my knowledge thus far listening to the full album multiple times.

1. Prognosis begins the artist's story of light and dark. Director James Cameron also had his version of governments becoming very powerful (by building machines). Cameron directed his story well through the art of fiction in Terminator 1+2. Recently, Hideo Kojima has created something similar in the video game world, by concluding his decade-spanning masterpiece with the highly acclaimed Metal Gear Solid 4: Gun's of the Patriots. More widely known, George Lucas has showed us a similar story relative to the Star Wars films, conveying the Sith's as the great powers who chose to develop their fighting abilities and attempt to rule over galaxies in some other space and time, light. Naturally, they were encountered by the Jedi'. And here, dark Psytrance artist, sound engineer and technician Xenomorph skips the fictional/fantasy versions, allegedly, and gives a raw, uncompromising view of out time in the now. The actual track here begins with the sound of a major ship/fog horn. Creatively, this sound becomes a sentence of slow, brooding melodies! Also included is a sample regarding the year 1776, also known as the year in which took place the "Declaration of Independence." Musically the song is gritty, pumping, intense, and crunchy. A guitar eventually enters with angry emphasis. I don't mind it, especially when the music changes at 3:42. This is where the song really shines. The melody work is relatively strong and catchy, especially for an introduction track. Then again, the cataclysmic world situation story here is only about the end of the world, for real. Such a strong topic better capture the listener with its opening if it's in the best interest to tell a good story. There's alot of crunchiness in this number. It's quite heavy too and sets the mood well. B

2. Capitalist Infiltration is where listeners will first experience the controversial singing, at 1:58. It's so high pitched and altered that I can't understand what the artist is saying. The melody/sound work is good. It just bums me out that there's this heavy-metal, tinny vocal work. I find it distracting from the great score, the darkly driving sounds, melodies, and rhythm. The artist's voice is gone by 3:15. A voice sample is initiated, relative to inflation, the economy; this helps to progress the story. The music is let free, without singing; I soak up every second I'm given. The industrial/metal sound is excellent. The voice work returns around 5:38. Again, I can't hear what the artist is saying. I love the musical work, and I wish he'd remove his voice all together. It puts a distraction, a dent in an otherwise strong attire. B

3. Enslavement by consumption refers to those who are absorbed in their ego (fear, greed), so they keep on buying material things they don't need, thus remaining distracted, lost, sheep, slaves by consumption. The track begins with one of the most gripping melodies so far on the album, followed by another that compliments it extremely well. There is no singing on the song. None. The song is strong, energetic, brooding, groovy, warm, and omnious throughout. This third chapter tells the tale of material corruption. The meanings are self-explanatory in the track titles but the voice samples offer so much more. This is an addictive song, however lacking in unpredictable moments. It's strong throughout. Thank heavens for no voice singing. I get to focus on the wonderful music and the clear, direct voice samples that really tell the story. A-

4. Totalitarian Democracy begins with an interesting sample and some very catchy melodies. However the song is more Industrial/Metal than Psy-Trance. The evidence begins with guitars. This is the second song with Xenomorph's voice and it's in a different style and/or sound than the previous number. Here it sounds very heavy metal-esque. To be honest I wish he'd stop singing because I'm suddanly investing my focus in this angry, distracting voice. The samples do a productive enough job to the story and theme without the singing. Xenomorph's voice disrupts the otherwise urge I have to visualize the album's story to my own imagination and freedom to let go, dance, and enjoy the music. The samples do not hinder this experience for some reason. This song is also guitar heavy so if a listener has a problem with guitar use in Psytrance, they'll likely enjoy this chapter less or skip it. In all honestly this is probably the most challenging song on the album for any Psy-Trance listener not big on guitars and/or male vocals (see sample for example). If he or she is in agreement with myself and makes it through this song however the worst is over. Overall I don't care for this song. It's not Psy-Trance. It's Heavy Metal-esque, Industrial Electronica. It sounds out of place here whereas this could have been an opportunity to include another great Psy piece to compliment the chapters and the general Psy listener. If this artist wants to lose the majority of his Psy fanbase he should continue making tracks like these. While there is some cool melody work at times, such work and various levels of atmosphere work is stronger, more compelling on previous songs so far. Furthermore, these elements are distracted by the heavy vocal and guitar work.. Damn it I want something awesome and powerful WITHOUT SINGING and this is NOT IT. It's not even psychedelic! C'mon Xenomorph! C

5. Secret Satanic Hierarchy is a big step up from the previous number and one of the most unique dark Psytrance tracks I've heard all year. It begins with very emotive, female-esque tunes disguised as notes or vice-versa. Soon enters a low pitched, echoed voice talking in a depressing, serious tone. It reminds me of a dark priest or something you'd hear in the movies. Strange as it sounds, I like it. It's gives the song an interesting flavor and character trait not yet experienced before. Moreover it doesn't last long. A short verse (hardly coherent) is voiced or sang by the artist followed by a sample. Soon after this dark preacher, whoever this is (the artist?) returns to continue what was said before. I feel like if this guy began singing he'd sound very SynthPop-esque. Thankfully the dark tone is consistent thoughout. The real star of the show is the layers of melodies which range from emotive choir-esque notes to and crisp and chiming. There are also various levels of atmosphere, quite effective. Around 5:28 and the overall sound that follows really showcases the combination of musical quality here. It's so pretty sounding until a voice sample makes it obvious that the underlying reality is vicious and angry as hell. At 6:35 a strong musical moment takes place. A very short repeating verse about Jesus Christ via the artist whisper-singing near the end concludes the song. While I'm no fan of the vocal work by the artist so far, this song is not annoying to me as the previous number. I really love the melody work in this song. It oozes with emotive, warm melodies. B+

6. Harbingers of Extinction involves a continuation of strong, emotive melodies. But unlike the few moments in the previous song, there's not a hint of singing. The way the entire album should have been is without such singing. Around 3:35 is one of the best musical moments I've ever heard from this artist to date. Excellent. The technical production and melodies in this song are excellent. The voice sample suggests the ramifications of certain chemical, biological, or nuclear warfare. Who are the Harbingers of Extinction? It's raining outside. The sound of rain pouring down in the effects. The destroyer of worlds hasn't happened yet but we as a world people are getting close, through the chapter of the song. This is a strong Psytrance number with great melody work, though I think the song could've been a bit more psychedelic. Great track. B+

7. Economic Sabotage starts off interesting, exciting. The track is loaded with unique and psychedelic sounds. Soon after the opening, the track evolves into a very driving, angry, relentless, and dark piece. The economy has collapsed. Imagine how angry so many would be throughout the world are. Some would be killing themselves in various ways while others protest on the streets, crying, cursing, looking for someone or something to blame, hurt, and potentially destroy. This is the last song to involve just a little bit of singing. A very short verse takes place in the second and final third. I don't think such verses will bother listeners too much. It's in the background mostly. The music is very well composed, storming, driving, and energetic. The voice sample is interesting, talking about the deficit, and what is really going on, allegedly. Musically it's great. The artist missed an opportunity to get creative with the atmosphere unfortunately, and by that I mean sounds of panic, chaos. Nonetheless, such energy is conveyed in the passionately composed, angry and intense music. B+

8. Cataclysmic Downfall is a return to psychedelic crunchiness. Few songs are this crunchy. Hux Flux's Cryptic Crunch is cruncy! This is very psychedelic, a less emphasized element on this album in comparison to the general, various melody/sound work. My favorite part is the build up. This whole time the album is buildinig up. Destruction. Anarchy. Chaos. War. It's building... The echoed effects bounce around the speakers like a drunken butterfly. Silence and an intermission, voice sample take place around 5:05. The build up climaxes like a literal BOOM at 6:00. The music releases, flying forward with streams of melodies, and a stomping beat full of rage and intensity. Wow. I wish there were more moments like this on the album. The ambient notes, atmosphere, melodies, drums roll, and suspense works strikingly well. There's no singing either. No more for the rest of the album. None! I wish the whole album was on this level, without anything remote of singing. This is the strongest, most fierce and overall best dark song I've heard all year. Superb track. A

9. World War 3 is very well done. You can literally hear the intelligence or soldiers being given the launch codes before detonation. The emotive and chiming melodies are effective and thought provoking. Apparently whatever anarchy or lack thereof has taken place already, or about to end worldwide. The combined sounds, atmosphere, melodies, and current events related samples create a near vivid, surreal feel. This song is another fine-tuned, melody driven, dark, threatening, and contemplative musical number with no singing. The plot really comes together with this track. I won't spoil the voice sample's meaning at the end here. This is a great, darkly melodic piece. A-

10. Nuclear Winter is the most emotive piece this artist has made yet. The track title and music says it all. I visualized (almost like tragic poetry here, to the music): bodies burnt to a crisp, frozen in time. Snow falls in a dystopian world. The streets are empty. Mass genocide. Silence. The piano takes the listener through mass graves, a gray and white, ghostly landscape. War is over but the ramifications have changed everything. It's a Tragedy. So many people have died. So many bits of consciousness 'we call spirits or souls' released. The Earth is void of noise. Calm. Warm. Peaceful. It sleeps... Wow what a powerful, instrumental number. This is so sad. Musically it's a slower, provocative and emotionally stirring piece. The piano work is excellent. The sample do not do justice to what this song, what it stands for and represents, especially when you hear the album in its entirety. This track will likely put the listener in a very thoughtful state. The epilogue-esque theme song here is deeply disturbing, alarming, its composition and direction superb. Overall this is an extremely well done number that captures the mood one may go into when witnessing let alone imagining millions of bodies frozen in a nuclear war. A-

In conclusion, Demagoguery of the Obscurants is Xenomorph's best Psytrance album and one of the strongest dark Psytrance albums I have ever heard. If the listener likes dark Psytrance with strong melody work and can get past the several tracks with singing, he/she may be in for one of the strongest Psytrance rides of the year. I don't care for the few songs with singing one bit. I wish the artist decided to cut them out completely, with exception to track 5 maybe, and let the voice samples and evocative music do the talking alone. The singing distracts from the excellent music and captures me less when involved. Regardless of the artist’s intent, (fame, stardom, passion, a bigger paycheck, etc) Xenomorph has released the strongest album of his career. He has improved as a musician. This album is different, both concept and sound-wise from virtually every dark Psytrance album I have ever heard. It's theme driven, story driven, emotional, storming, powerful, moody, groovy, provocative in subject matter, atmospheric, angry, disturbing, and filled with mind capturing melody/sound work, atmosphere, effects, and plentiful thought provoking voice samples too. However these are more informative and interesting than they are those cool one-liners that are there just to sound cool.

There are several songs with guitar work, and I realize this works for some people. Others it doesn't. Guitars make a strong appearance in roughly 2-3 tracks. The melodies are so strong on this album that I don't mind the guitars. They accentuate the melody work with their aggression. Guitars in moderation I say, if at all. They're not overdone here but anymore and it may have been. This artist utilizes many unique metal sounds to enhance aggression. Furthermore, the samples are here to tell the political or anti-political (depending how you look at it) story. The theme includes a brave new world or one world order by government, relative to brain washing, destruction, mass genocide, and more, as the track list boldly states. The story even boils down to the tragic aftermath via nuclear detonation as the instrumental, highly contemplative and depressing final number plays out. This is a powerful album that portrays a theoretical albeit dark and uncompromising vision without apology.

Further words: I'm very impressed and find interesting the musical accomplishment and this artist’s choice of theme here. I recommend people hear the samples as opposed to quickly judging or skipping the album because of the few singing-related tracks which to me, reflect a various sized annoyance, gripe and/or flaw but most albums lack half as many tracks this strong. This release is more mature and sophisticated than Cassandra's Nightmare. It's more infectious melody-wise and cleverly composed than Qlippoth. Demagoguery of the Obscurants is the best dark Psy-Trance album I've heard all year. I love the melody, sound, and atmosphere work coupled by the driving, dark energy and rhythms. Next time it would be amazing if there was no singing at all unless Xenomorph introduced female vacals without lyrics for example. Listen to the samples throughout. Loud. Twice if you will. Then decide if this appeals to you or not. The only other dark Psytrance album in 2007 that I can recommend is Penta - Horn Please.

Favorite Tracks: 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.

B+

Samples:

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6858

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/gno/gno1cd002.html

I had pretty high expectations, because Qlippoth was AWESOME. But this is not :(

Sounds like bad quality ebm to me... Guitar riffs don't work at all, and those vocals are sometimes borderline funny. Very big dissappointment.

So please let the next album be something like Qlippoth!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting concept and good music, but I also don't like the over-use of politics in trance.

Especially talk about finance and shit like profit motives I mean that's the last thing you really wanna hear at a party.

But then again some of it sounds pretty sweet, like track 3. And it's better than cliched drug samples.

I think it would have been better if he went more into subliminal messaging (and more 1984 samples (and no singing))

Good album though, he's got a unique style and it's recommended to anyone into gothic-darkish kinda trance.

I think that his political views hit the hammer on the nail, I agree with mostly everything that is said on this album, it seems from my knowledge, and understanding to be quite accurate. The messages flow from song to song and atmosphere to atmosphere like a story.

A great album! The only downside is that I think the voice samples are overused and ruins some tracks somewhat. It's not catastrophical and it's only on a few tracks that they are overused.

It's a bit cheesy at times aswell but I like!

• 4 weeks later...

This might just be my favorite for the year of 2007!! Atmospheres that pull you in. This is deep stuff. B) Better and better with every listen

I've only had it on vbr encoded mp3's so far but I really liked it so I bought it and got it today. It's completely different when listening on my stereo with the retail cd. This just blew me away totally today. There is alot to discover in the tracks if you listen carefully. And I think I am obliged to agree that this might just be the best of 2007 uptempo. At the moment I cannot think of anything that comes close.

I've only had it on vbr encoded mp3's so far but I really liked it so I bought it and got it today. It's completely different when listening on my stereo with the retail cd. This just blew me away totally today. There is alot to discover in the tracks if you listen carefully. And I think I am obliged to agree that this might just be the best of 2007 uptempo. At the moment I cannot think of anything that comes close.

+10,

thats why I voted it my #1 for best of 2007 (uptempo)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Awesome album. One of the best dark psy releases of the last years. Of course it's difficult to categorize this album as dark psy, not cause it's not dark, but simply it's unique.

Overall, I like it more that Qlippoth. After all the styles are completelly different. Qlippoth is scary, this one is more industrial and enjoyable.

Best thing about this album is that every track is unique!

Top notch! 8.5-9/10

• 2 months later...

Such a total ripoff of Frontline Assembly it is almost laughable. This guy is just a little late to the party. That said, I enjoyed it. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, the FLA should be flattered. While I thought it was good, I think that the boys from FLA are better synth programmers and arrangers.

P.S. The evil twisted interpretation of Moonlight Sonata at the end was chilling. Reminds me of the Depeche Mode single Mephisto.

Mdk

i think the synths are insanely well programmed here :huh:

I will agree, but compared to the epic scope and "grandeur" of FLA synth programming, this pales in comparison. Like I said though, I still enjoyed this. Especially the final track with the geiger counter. Good storytelling.

Relative to the track list and story told via dialogue, well those who embrace light get light. Those who embrace dark (which is essentially created in the mind, egotistical) get dark. We are more aware than the story told throughout the album, though not everyone. Raise healthy living and conscious awareness and people consume less; the news can be used as a source for raising awareness. Global warming will take care of the over population problem. We are all responsible for the roles we play, in doing our part to not be self absorbed, and help raise the level of awareness in the world. Focus on the good.

Xenomorph : Demagoguery of the Obscurants is the most provocative, uncompromising and relevant to our time now, storytelling-wise -- dark Psytrance album I have ever heard in my life.

• 6 years later...

Whow a lot of Deja Vu on here at least for indus/ebm/psy listeneres.........guess the guitar driven songs can be routed to Ministry also to guitar stuff by

FLA (eg. Millenium album). Other than guess he listens a lot to dark-electro bands like S.Commando, Hocico and the like :) Which is not a bad thing. I guess the

dancefloor Hocico songs would be a good comparison however cause of not much psy and more aggro in case of H. it is not really comparable. But close imo

Or Taktical Sect ?

Anyway I find this a bit less intriguing than the other album I have (Cassandras Nightmare)... First 2-3 tracks are quite killer but it get´s weaker imo.

Still 7/10 and I agree that FLA is a bit better lol But I am oldtime fan of Bill&Co. so comparison is not fair...