Do you even bother with radio?

Basilisk

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just to put that to rest. I share the opinion of many posting here when I say I'd rather choose my own music and make my own discoveries or go with the recommendations of a friend or someone else whom I trust.

I discovered A LOT of new artists listening to musicalstarstreams broadcast back in the days. Right now most of my discoveries are coming from websites (unfortunatelly).

hmm changed my mind... listening to radio schizoid atm... its good for when don't have any good albums to listen to and wanna hear new stuff. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a good show or two too. Although it is rather annoying it dies when I torrent stuff. Hmm just heard an incredibly bad track on the psytrance channel (sounded more like terribly overproduced bad electro house then psy) and I think I'm gonna stop listening now.

I don't think that asking people here on psynews will give you the same results as it would if you were to ask the general population. Most people who are into psy, and I'm going to say especially those here on psy news have fairly particular tastes when it comes to listening to music. I can't see many psy heads devoting much time into finding something worth listening to on commercial radio.

Now, I was just recently approved for a one hour radio show at my cities local independent radio station (cfru, based out of guelph, Canada) and I plan on filling my airwaves with as much psy as possible. And i know that I am probably not really going to reach many fellow psy nerds, but i do hope to get some exposure for the scene, and electronic music in general. I don't think that radio is a dead medium, it's just one of the many options now available. There are people listening out there, who have no idea how to get access to this kind of music, and probably wouldn't ever seek out psytrance. But maybe one day they will come across it on the radio, and get exposed to a who genre they never knew existed.

hmm changed my mind... listening to radio schizoid atm... its good for when don't have any good albums to listen to and wanna hear new stuff. Hopefully I'll stumble upon a good show or two too. Although it is rather annoying it dies when I torrent stuff. Hmm just heard an incredibly bad track on the psytrance channel (sounded more like terribly overproduced bad electro house then psy) and I think I'm gonna stop listening now.

Do you remember the track name? Lemme know..Would help me to make to my radio better :)

I listen to Studio Brussels alot, great radio, crazy hosts, good music. (alternative rock & electronic dance music)

they once did a contest, it was called " the BIG Reykjavik Contest"

Every morning they phoned a famous babe( miss belgian beauty & other beauties)

played the jingle of the show, with the word Reykjavik repeated several times.

like " the big Reykjavik show, REYKJAVIK, reykjavik, reykjavik, reykjavik, show.

then , always the same question they asked the babes:

what's the capital of Iceland??? you have 3 seconds...

DING DING DING THE the big REYKJAVIK SHOW!!!

babe:.......euhm.... i don't know;

DING DING DING THE big REYKJAVIK show.

sorry, you lost.

DING DING DING THE big REYKJAVIK show.

classic.

ps: for the people who don't get this joke, Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland.

I think it took about 3 weeks before someone answered Reykjavik, but she was probably prepared.

Do you remember the track name? Lemme know..Would help me to make to my radio better :)

I think it was called advance or something... anyway don't worry about it... not a big fan of non mixed psytrance anyway (will probably tune into ambient channel more often though). Infact I'm listening right now :)

Anyway on topic: Are we talking about net radio here on regular radio? There seems to be some people thinking one or both. I thought we're talking both.

I obviously never bother with regular radio. If I'm in a car with no cd player and I don't have my mp3 player I guess I can just wait.

If I'm in a popish listening mood I can listen to some light drum and bass (aka liquid funk or something) seriously that stuf>>>>> Pop music and yet achieves the same effect and even goes down well with pop music listeners (at least from what I've heard).

Also I like listening to other djs... I see a few people saying "I'd rather find my own music" why? Whats wrong with listening to someone elses set? Its a great way to hear new stuff! I also have had some bad experiences with last.fm radio.

Radio seems outdated to me

It's really not. The vast majority of people aren't as passionate about music as we who come to a web forum simply to talk about a particular style of music. Most people just want to put on some sort of entertainment, and they have no problem letting their tastes be dictated by what the radio plays. Either that, or they have no idea that their tastes are being dictated by someone else, and that there is a hell of a lot of other music out there for the hearing if they chose to dig a little.

It's really not. The vast majority of people aren't as passionate about music as we who come to a web forum simply to talk about a particular style of music. Most people just want to put on some sort of entertainment, and they have no problem letting their tastes be dictated by what the radio plays. Either that, or they have no idea that their tastes are being dictated by someone else, and that there is a hell of a lot of other music out there for the hearing if they chose to dig a little.

Theres also the fact that most people have extremely crappy computer speakers.

my computer speakers are the best speakers in the house :P

it's obvious the reason why.

if I was in Germany, I would listen to HR3 Clubnight, but I guess its not the same nowadays. :)

you can only get it on normal radio in the state of hessen (HR 3 stands for "Hessischer Rundfunk), so I never had the chance to listen to it back in the day :(

but, in berlin they have Anja Schneiders Radio show every Saturday, that one is cutting edge when it comes to techno and minimal. i used to listen to that one a lot.

you can only get it on normal radio in the state of hessen (HR 3 stands for "Hessischer Rundfunk), so I never had the chance to listen to it back in the day :(

but, in berlin they have Anja Schneiders Radio show every Saturday, that one is cutting edge when it comes to techno and minimal. i used to listen to that one a lot.

Yeah, well, I am born and raised in Frankfurt, so thats why I would listen to HR :D Anyways, you could get HR3 over cable in Berlin and Hamburg as well, agaik :)

I really can't stand the radio...I like a huge variety of music, but still 99% of the music ive heard on the radio is crap. I occasionally listen to recommendations from last.fm, but that's about it. Even on there I don't like most of the music, but it's better than normal radio at least. Basically what it comes down to is there is only a small fraction of music I like from any given genre, but it's worth putting in the effort to find the good stuff :) Most of the new bands I discover are from concerts or friends.