Do you even bother with radio?

Basilisk

There is never any shortage of special netradio shows scheduled at specific times... do people even bother with such things? Or are these people fooling themselves? I know plenty of people that tune into regular streams of assorted music, but these specific shows, on at particular times--I just wonder if people bother or not. Radio was a popular medium in the age before portable music players; does broadcast methodology still serve much of a purpose in an age of immediate gratification and on-demand music availabilty with P2P? Of course, one of the good things about radio back in the day was discovering music you might not have heard otherwise, but is that still happening? These are some questions for you radio fans... I'm curious to know, partially since I haven't had anything to do with any form of radio for a very long time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember doing it once... Some Sensient stuff, but I didn't plan to listen too it, just saw a post here on this forum and got the last half of the thing. But no chance I would be able to remember an event if I was told more than "½ an hour" in advance... that is my main problem with scheduled shows.

As a kid I use to like and listen to certain radio shos which played house, techno or trance DJ mixes. I use to tape them on cassettes and then listen to them whenever I had the time to.

But, just as Basilisk said "I haven't had anything to do with any form of radio for a very long time".

i listen to www.psykeout.net's archived shows from time to time when im on public/work computers; i never really tune into anything at a specific time. ill definitely check out the ones mentioned here

as far as 'old-fashioned' broadcast radio goes its all garbage where im located other than the local NPR station and a student-run station at university ~50 miles from here (theyll play dnb and breakcore sometimes--sadly its a weak signal and i only hear it when im up that way). never, ever will i hear psy of any kind in ohio on broadcast radio, although i wouldnt be surprised if new infected tracks start appearing on the pop stations <_<

as far as 'old-fashioned' broadcast radio goes its all garbage where im located other than the local NPR station and a student-run station at university ~50 miles from here (theyll play dnb and breakcore sometimes--sadly its a weak signal and i only hear it when im up that way). never, ever will i hear psy of any kind in ohio on broadcast radio, although i wouldnt be surprised if new infected tracks start appearing on the pop stations <_<

Same here in Chicago :angry:

The Northwestern station is decent sometimes. It introduced me to Amon Tobin and classic country.

i actually got into amon tobin because a bar where i would go sometimes had it on the jukebox; it was actually a pretty lame bar but apparently someone working there liked some good stuff.

the xm radio classic country station (i think its called 'willy's world') is pretty kosher.

All the questions apply to netradio as well... I mean, I read tons of adverts for one-time broadcasts, specials, podcasts, and other such things, especially on Isratrance. Still trying to find out if people are paying any attention to such things or whether it's all kind of a joke.

I don't listen to radio (any), never. I like selecting and discovering new artists, labels and releases by myself, so listening to discovered-by-myself music takes all my time and I haven't found an equivalent in a form of radio - is it a broadcast of random tracks, live dj sets or, well, anything in psytrance world.

If you are thinking about starting one (and I think you are) - that's an awesome idea, but you'll have to take care of quality, user-friendliness and promotion.

Broadcasting live online isn't really interesting, that's why we've got podcasts, you could catch more audience, because you understand that you will have much less listeners at a particular time than the ability to listen to a podcast at any time. Haven't seen any professional psytrance-related podcasts. I was thinking about starting one for our local community, but my knowledge, experience and equipment doesn't let me to do it now, so maybe in the future.

I'd appreciate, along with interviews, news, release reviews, etc., flashbacks from the past with tracks and events that influenced psy-scene, history of genres and their evolution. That would be interesting for the audience and with time you could get well over 1000 listeners per podcast if everything works out fine. Now imagine some adSense there that would cover the costs of, at least, a good microphone and hosting :)

I listen to the radio in the car, because that's my only option of hearing music in the car. Between a mainstream rock station, an alternative rock station, two classic rock stations, an "everything under the sun" station and a classical station, I can find something worth listening to about 90% of the time.

I only listen to talk radio.

I don't want to hear anyone else's music when I can choose my own :P

Exactly. But combine intellectual talk with good psytrance music/culture knowledge and you've got the best psytrance program evargh.

when i was living in ottawa, canada (as recently as 6months ago) I would listen to the two university stations almost every night. Alot of local DJs playing everything from gay house to psy and industrial had some time slot. Great to tune into local DJs and fairly cutting-edge choons. CBC talk radio is okay too. Depending what they're bantering about.

All the questions apply to netradio as well... I mean, I read tons of adverts for one-time broadcasts, specials, podcasts, and other such things, especially on Isratrance. Still trying to find out if people are paying any attention to such things or whether it's all kind of a joke.

Seems like most people are replying to the topic title and not the first post :P

I guess I thought radio was inclusive of netradio these days :)

If you are thinking about starting one (and I think you are) - that's an awesome idea, but you'll have to take care of quality, user-friendliness and promotion.

No, just to put that to rest. I share the opinion of many posting here when I say I'd rather choose my own music and make my own discoveries or go with the recommendations of a friend or someone else whom I trust. Radio seems outdated to me--and while it would be pretty cool for there to be a radio renaissance, I trust my own taste most of all. Some new applications of radio concepts like personalized stations (Pandora or last.fm) seem interesting on some level, but I still haven't bothered to tune in. I could think of something like Philosomatika with a user-based rating system that affects song choices being cool--but then we'd all be listening to Skazi and Dali, right :) no, I just opened this topic because I am genuinely curious, because I don't really "get" radio any more, and I wonder whether many people are into it, and lastly--if all those (net)radio shows are actually being heard (which I tend to doubt). I could be projecting personal bias though, which is why I ask! :)

...I just wonder if people bother or not...

Most people don't I think. Because there's so many ways to discover new music nowaydays thanks to internet (not only P2P, but also free music and Dj mixes) and radio isn't the most convinient.

But I wouldn't say it's outdated. I still listen to talk radio a lot, and from time to time to music relatedstation too, just to stay in touch with the "real world", to see what's popular right now.

By the way, I heard psytrance for the first time on a national french radio(FUN Radio), and so did many other french people I think.