Identity

So how many of you have made music their identity (or have had music make you its identity)? As in, if someone asked you what your greatest passion in life was, you'd be forced to say "making music". And if you neglect your music for a little while you start to feel as if a betrayal is going on, and you're not happy. Or have some or most of you played it safe and made it only one of many things?

I find I've always been one of those "one thing at a time" kind of people. Like, when I have a good friend, or a girlfriend, or a creative activity, I have to/like to really focus on it, which leaves very little room for much else. I don't know if I have lack of focus or too much intensity of focus, but I suspect it's a combination. I feel really attached to it, as if it were a really solid relationship, but if it ended I'd feel helpless and sad.

Shit, it's a lot like a relationship, actually. I cheated on her once recently, after our relationship had deteriorated a little over a span of months, when I started getting excited by a new medium (amateur film). I simply felt she didn't have enough to offer me at the time, but I needed my outlet, so I left for a while. The whole time I felt like I was simultaneously betraying her but also realizing that a break was probably the best idea - which it was. When we got back together it was an exciting rendezvous. We immediately made a baby. :lol:

I find I've always been one of those "one thing at a time" kind of people. Like, when I have a good friend, or a girlfriend, or a creative activity, I have to/like to really focus on it, which leaves very little room for much else....

I'm exactly, exactly the same way. For me it's more about money; i've thrown a decent wad of cash at this hobby so i'll probably be sticking with it for quite some time to really make my money count.... I'm an extremely flighty person though. Tomorrow I could start collecting stamps or something.

I'm exactly, exactly the same way. For me it's more about money; i've thrown a decent wad of cash at this hobby so i'll probably be sticking with it for quite some time to really make my money count.... I'm an extremely flighty person though. Tomorrow I could start collecting stamps or something.

Im not doing it for the money but something has to be paid off, at least a gear.. And if I ever get something out of it It will go only on new equipment..

Its good to focus.. Without focus its hard to achieve something..

But like needle said, its sucking you in.. But its also good to play it safe and have some other "skillz"

So how many of you have made music their identity (or have had music make you its identity)? As in, if someone asked you what your greatest passion in life was, you'd be forced to say "making music". And if you neglect your music for a little while you start to feel as if a betrayal is going on, and you're not happy. Or have some or most of you played it safe and made it only one of many things?

Music is a big part of my identity. But my greatest passion is listening to music. Making music is more like a hobby for me : I could live without it, but I can't imagine myself ever losing my passion for music (listening I mean).

I often hear artists saying they couldn't live without their art, so I guess I can't call myself an artist.

Do you see yourself as an artist ?

good question.

my music is my identity. i can't imagine my life without making music generally, not necessarily psytrance. being a musician has always been my goal in life, long before i started the Anakoluth thing, when i started to play drums. if i hadn't started it, i'd play in a band most probably, or do some other music on my own.

yet there are times that i'm torn between my music and my other creative hobby, writing that is. usually it goes like this: i'm working on a tune, and nothing else. i can't think about anything else, i don't go out in order to work on it etc. then, when it's finished, there's a period of doing nothing at all, creation-wise, and then i would start coming up with wicked ideas for prose, because, as soon as i turn my mind off from music, all those stories would jump out of my unconscious into my mind, and i need to write them down. and after a few weeks i'm back to writing music.

thus thing is, i don't know what is more important to me. it differs. at the moment, music is slightly more so, but i want to be killa in both. hence i'd say everything that i create is part of my identity. i define myself through those things; it's easier to show people what you are in between the lines than through tacked down words.

i cheat on her all the time. she is being a bitch at the moment as well. she is not my identity though, she is my muse. i love her to bits, but she tears me apart. she makes me cry like noone has ever been able to make me cry. she makes me happy like noone has ever been able to make me happy. she is my bitch, she is faithful to me, but i cheat on her all the time.

i cheat on her all the time. she is being a bitch at the moment as well. she is not my identity though, she is my muse. i love her to bits, but she tears me apart. she makes me cry like noone has ever been able to make me cry. she makes me happy like noone has ever been able to make me happy. she is my bitch, she is faithful to me, but i cheat on her all the time.

Well put :)

I define myself pretty much as a maker of music. I also make musical instruments as a profession - and then I spend quite a lot of time playing table soccer. These interfere heavily with each other, but I absolutely need to do all of them! It is not the best outset for the relationship with my girlfriend, but I think she's a peach and takes it very well.

Making music is my all-time biggest passion, if you disregard life itself.

- A