Green nuns of the revolution - Ring of fire - Best full on e

hahahahahahahahaha

Matt Coldrick was session and touring guitarist for R&B artist Gabrielle and Neil Cowley played keyboards with an early incarnation of the Brand New Heavies  (I saw him do some really quite excellent funky blues improv with the house band in a restaurant in Cape Town in 1997)... so yes, not musically talented at all.

Not.

533901[/snapback]

Then my mistake, I meant when you listen to their goa trance sound, you can't really hear that musical talent you are talking about. And generally talking about musical talent in psytrance music is bullshit... psytrance artists are very good at using a machine very well, yes... there are some exceptions, Simon Posford to name one. But if you say the guy is musically talented outside psytrance, then i believe you.

Ok, I will explain. When you listen to for example Hallucinogen, or even more so, Shpongle, you get a feeling of getting sucked into that music's own world. It's deep, everything is right where it should be, the melodies are inspired, the drums are made to fit and there is some innovation going on.

GNOTR just take a bass drum, some drums, a bass and an acid line, with which they play and fiddle. If you say they have musical talent I believe you, but NONE of that can be heard. Their music is just fast and energetiv, but musically it's shallow... If GNOTR music is a little pool of water after the rain, Shpongle is a pond or a sea.

But feel free to search for musical depth and dimension in their music. It's non-existant in most psytrance though, and GNOTR is really a prime example.

OK, their music can be good when you're doing something that you need energy for, or just want some powerful rhythms... But it's not transcendental at all.

</IMO>

Do we really neeed to compare every artist to posford? I mean, i think the guy is a musical genious, so it's a bit unfair comparing everyone to him. Furthermore some people don't really like posford's music.

I do see what your saying how his music takes you to another world, and really he's the ONLY person who has ever completely accomplished this in psy-trance IMO. But there is a fair amount of chill that has the same effect on me (including shpongle).

Also, i'm sure plenty of people find GNOTR to be transcendental, depending on the circumstances. It's hard to be in that state from music you don't like, so if you don't like GNOTR it's not going to happen. Original trance music was VERY simple, just the steady rhythm of tribal drums.

Do we really neeed to compare every artist to posford?  I mean, i think the guy is a musical genious...

536911[/snapback]

just like some others...

edit : i for example like GNOTR, they have some really good tracks, but also some average imo.

But feel free to search for musical depth and dimension in their music. It's non-existant in most psytrance though, and GNOTR is really a prime example.

536840[/snapback]

mumbo jumbo.

it's just YOU who can't "grasp" the right angle towards music. there's nothing wrong with the music itself.

and please drop that "factual" style of writing to make your comments look less silly.

Ok, I will explain. When you listen to for example Hallucinogen, or even more so, Shpongle, you get a feeling of getting sucked into that music's own world. It's deep, everything is right where it should be, the melodies are inspired, the drums are made to fit and there is some innovation going on.

536840[/snapback]

Oh, sorta like the Green Nuns then? :rolleyes:

and please drop that "factual" style of writing to make your comments look less silly.

536914[/snapback]

I'm trying, it's hard :(

And then I'd like to add a big fat IMO after my previous post :)

Really, what's the point of discussing music when thinking like this "it's up to everyones opinion..."? In such a case, it's just as stupid to agree as to say the opposite. So why should we discuss at all?

Oh, and btw, if i make a track consisting of one note with random knob fiddeling going on for 10 minutes, it can be appreciated "through the right angle". But it's still just crap :D

When Rock Bitch Mafia first came out it touched me in ways that even hallucinogen's Twisted didn't (and that was one of the 1st psy albums I heard).

Very musically talented IMO. We'd be sat around listening to this and so many times we'd say "What Fucking Genius!!" Some of the best stuff released. I have the CD album and the vinyl album and a load of the singles. Can't get enough!

Check their singles, maybe you'd like them more than the album... TWO VINDALOOS AND AN ONION BAGEE, OPTIMUM CREAKAGE, CREAKED, MEGALLENIC CLOUD, PLEXUS FIRE ;)

I was never really big fan of Green Nuns. They always left me flat. I got very similar feelings from Cosmosis and Hallucinogen. Very complex stuff, for sure, just...somehow...I don't know...flat and thin, like a huge Swiss Army knife with a million gadgets that you couldn't use for anything.

But yeah, it's odd to see "full on" used as it is today when it was once used to describe the best music. I guess we call it "maximal" today.