VST.. How much?

OK I need to quickly solve this problem.. I have fresh installation of all audio programs and only thing is that I installed cubase on different partiotion than the OS.. I hear clicks in cubase no matter how I set the latency.. I have 3 GHz and 2 GB DDR II 667 MHz on ESI Julia so I doubt its a problem with resources.. But if it is, just for comparison how much VSTs u use per track and whats your top score in number of VSTs without crashing?

I need quick replies cause production is suffering and I think Ill install cubase on the OS partion of hard drive, but that means I have to move all VSTs also and thats a bug so.. HELP

OK I need to quickly solve this problem.. I have fresh installation of all audio programs and only thing is that I installed cubase on different partiotion than the OS.. I hear clicks in cubase no matter how I set the latency.. I have 3 GHz and 2 GB DDR II 667 MHz on ESI Julia so I doubt its a problem with resources.. But if it is, just for comparison how much VSTs u use per track and whats your top score in number of VSTs without crashing?

I need quick replies cause production is suffering and I think Ill install cubase on the OS partion of hard drive, but that means I have to move all VSTs also and thats a bug so.. HELP

In my Experience, Cubase shall not be installed on a diffrent Partition on your system than the one where you have your OS. I have tried so many diffrent versions of this install, that I am pretty darn 99% that it will always fuck up if you install it in another partition. Keep ONE partition for only: OS, Cubase, VST's and their Sound banks. Keep ONE for Audio and Samples.

Please also do consider setting your PC up the correct way, by following one of the best MUSIC XP tutorials I have ever seen: www.musicxp.net . I can not say how much that has helped me in the past. :)

of course there will be people disagreeing with me, but you can all just bugger off, i know more than thou! :lol: (at least about pc structures and xp) :D

it all depends if I am running heavy plugins or not, if I am running medium heavy ones, I can run around 32 with fx and maybe 16 audio tracks. I have a 2.4ghz x2 amd with 2gb ram.

Can't help ya, but I feel I need to tell you how many, many hours I have put down trying to configure the perfect XP installation for audio production.

Raptor disks, swapfiles, monitoring cpu-cycles, OS tweaking.. You name it. Now, I used to run Sonar and not Cubase but the only time the system worked kind of ok, was when I did nothing special when installing the software - ie just install it the normal way. On my C2D 2.4GHz with 2GB I could run quite a lot of plug-ins simultaneously without crashing. But it didn't last very long. Somewhere along the way I made a mistake and the sequencer started to crash again.

In the end I switched to OS X, bought Logic 7 and the few plug-ins I actually use a lot, threw out all cracked software and voila; no crashes at all.

I am not encouraging people to switch to Apple since trying to convert people is lame, but that is what did the trick in my studio.

i have a already tweaked windows setup cd (done with n-lite) it strips it down to the bone, does all the tweaking from musicxp.net and disables the networking. it works wonders like I said. :)

i have a already tweaked windows setup cd (done with n-lite) it strips it down to the bone, does all the tweaking from musicxp.net and disables the networking. it works wonders like I said. :)

Dont worry about my pc setup Nemo, I have exp too :P

Anyways, that n-lite sounds interesting.. Can I burn a dvd with setup of windows, and my preferances and installed cubase and all vsts all in one pack? I thinked about copying Only vst plugin folder and backing it up cause I dont use standalone vsts and I thought I would be better but many vsts must have standalone version so its quite hard to do..

So I should install sx on os partition and samples on other or the same? I didnt get that right.. I was almost certain that this could cause the problem cause it was good with previous installations.. But I think that VST are cousing it to so I will first try to set it up before I reinstall it all(man, thats a hard work)..

Ill reduce polyphony and stuff like that, you know.. Cause I use very heavy VST, and tonight I read the manual and theres a big warning about cpu usage so maybe I wont have to reinstall it all, I hope..

Others, post the numbers of vsts u use.. Till now, it seems cpu shouldnt not be the problem for me..

Nemo, Im gettin that n-lite, if that is the stuff that will make all my installations in one pack, than you deserve a hug :unsure:

But do you know windows has deployment tool on the setup cd? Its some cab file that u extract.. I havent buged with it cause Its pretty complicated, I hope this n-lite is much easier to use..

And yeah, check out Golden ears, over thirty years of experiance compressed in few week course.. So u see, experiance is relative :blink:

Make sure XP is optimised for background tasks rather than programs.

Yeah I tried that and it just make things worse :blink:.. Although I make that setting every time and its good.. Maybe cause of the partition.. I can hear normal sound anymore at all.. First I thought it was a Chameleon 5000 which I used but it must be partition problem..

Bigest blup is that I installed it on separate partition just so that I wont have to install that again and now it turned out oposite..

So, I used that n-lite and burned a windows setup disk with minimal options and configuration that I like and included main audio apps and some programs that I always use and all fit on one cd.. So no more switching and searching for install disk.. I tried to make it so that cubase installs automatically but I didnt find a way to do that so I just included it on the disk.. And I burned a 2nd disk with my fav vsts(only plugins without standalone so I dont need to install them just copy paste and voila) so well see how it works.. It should all be done with few clicks and whole virtual studio should be as new.. I hope that n-lite will n-lite me and save me precious time.. Well see.. Ill post results as soon the process ends..

I deployed windows with drivers and configuration I choosed and also installed everything back up so the system is again online.. That didnt solve the problem although windows are acting much better and faster overall.. So when nothing worked I turned to vst plugins optimizing and reduced polyphony and fx and solved it in the end. I still have few clicks here and there but Ill solve that too I hope.. Looks like vsts created recently use much more cpu than previous versions.. Its like in computer gaming, u always have to upgrade something and I hate that, I thought it will never be like that.. Im thinking of using only one vst and changing programs instend of two or more instances.. I dont use that normally cause I hate automating programs..

Can I use two programs at the same time on one vst? That program changeing should reduce cpu but if I have some sounds which are overlapping can I set them both to play simultaneously? And refering to that background services setting, what about memory, should I set it to programs or system cache? I have it written in some manual but Im lazy to find it..

With Sonar I have used a vst or vsti with almost every track ~ 16-20 at one time.

I have no problems at the moment - had one because the 6.2 update didn't install correctly but that's fixed.

I am really happy with Sonar now since I know it better, Pentagon is a great synth now that I have read the manual...

I have an AMD X2 4400+ cpu with 2 GB of ram and a SATA II 160 GB harddrive

also no internet, no spyware, no cookies, no viruses, etc. :rolleyes:

one question, what type of sound card are you using? if you are using a built-in one, then you might want to consider asio4all. just a tip.

Nemo go back to top and read :P ESI Julia, it suports 176400 sample rate but it seems like Im having problem with 88.200..

Needle your example is perfect, why I cant load so much VSTs? I didnt spent so much money for all that gear to have problems like that.. It pisses me off, its like on my old 1.8, with 128 RAM.. Well its much faster but it clicks like that, thats the point, I cant finish track normally on either setup.. And I upgraded just for that.. So help.. Here is latest news..

I solve all those problems left with latency setting to 2048 samples which makes it about 20 s of latency, in otherwords BAD. And also I had to set up my project to 44.100 Hz sample rate instead of 88.200 and now its fine..

Why I cant set it to run smothly on 88.200 sample rate? How do u set this things and still I wanna know how much vsts u use per track.. Im curentlly using 8 vsts with as much fx but Im sure gona use few others till the end of the track so what is the problem? Why the F its not runnin smothly? Disk is defragmented, windows runs fast like never before(unimaginable) with all these settings but still I get some click here and there when theres many notes at the same time on different vsts..

Actually Im just listening the track and it all runs smothly, finally, but what if I wish to add some massive sound with many voices and fx, it will for sure click again..

So please read questions carefully, I need to know about that sample rates

Nemo go back to top and read :P ESI Julia, it suports 176400 sample rate but it seems like Im having problem with 88.200..

Needle your example is perfect, why I cant load so much VSTs? I didnt spent so much money for all that gear to have problems like that.. It pisses me off, its like on my old 1.8, with 128 RAM.. Well its much faster but it clicks like that, thats the point, I cant finish track normally on either setup.. And I upgraded just for that.. So help.. Here is latest news..

I solve all those problems left with latency setting to 2048 samples which makes it about 20 s of latency, in otherwords BAD. And also I had to set up my project to 44.100 Hz sample rate instead of 88.200 and now its fine..

Why I cant set it to run smothly on 88.200 sample rate? How do u set this things and still I wanna know how much vsts u use per track.. Im curentlly using 8 vsts with as much fx but Im sure gona use few others till the end of the track so what is the problem? Why the F its not runnin smothly? Disk is defragmented, windows runs fast like never before(unimaginable) with all these settings but still I get some click here and there when theres many notes at the same time on different vsts..

Actually Im just listening the track and it all runs smothly, finally, but what if I wish to add some massive sound with many voices and fx, it will for sure click again..

So please read questions carefully, I need to know about that sample rates

http://www.esi-pro.com/techsupport.php

Ask them! :D

They will know the answer to your question how much you can "stress" the soundcard.

http://www.esi-pro.com/techsupport.php

Ask them! :D

They will know the answer to your question how much you can "stress" the soundcard.

Great! How didnt I came up with that earlier :lol:

Man, I had some bad experiances with tech support so Ill write them over my will..

But is it hard to just answer what sample rate do u use in cubase setup project? I need some referance..

Do u set your fx for mastering at high sample rate and leave project in 44.100 or go from start with high sample rates and downsample just at the end of the process.. Do u run your 22 vsts with fx in high sample rates?

You're totally right, google gives better answers.. :(

Great! How didnt I came up with that earlier :lol:

Man, I had some bad experiances with tech support so Ill write them over my will..

But is it hard to just answer what sample rate do u use in cubase setup project? I need some referance..

Do u set your fx for mastering at high sample rate and leave project in 44.100 or go from start with high sample rates and downsample just at the end of the process.. Do u run your 22 vsts with fx in high sample rates?

You're totally right, google gives better answers.. :(

Well, i think its soundcard specific... not a "general" thing. And yeah, I see no reason to go above 48.000 for producing tbh.

Well, i think its soundcard specific... not a "general" thing. And yeah, I see no reason to go above 48.000 for producing tbh.

Than tell me that.. Thats the answer I we been looking for.. So what about recording and "u must use at least twice as high sample rate not to lose quality" stuff.. That confuses me cause how will I record at 88K when it cant play at that rate and u can set different setting in external recorder.. If u use some internal recorder it will save it in projects sample rate > 44K I sent them mail.. But till they answer I need some feedback with this.. That bugs me for long, demistify that now for good

For sure ???

And what about all those tutorials?

U are saying that my 174000 sample rate is worthless?

So whats the use of good audio card when u can do all that with normal stuff like sb live

i have not read one single tutorial that tells me that above 48.000 is needed to make music with software ploogin's :D but maybe I am wrong.

i have not read one single tutorial that tells me that above 48.000 is needed to make music with software ploogin's :D but maybe I am wrong.

No 48.000 is OK.. But there are some confidential instructions that tells u that if u wanna quality of original u at least have to double a sample rate.. I dont plan to burn my audio card up to 174000 cause it wouldnt be convinient for downsampling.. You probably know that fact that converting to twice as much lower/higher sample rate gives best results..

You just type sample rate in adobe auditions help and click search or do the same in google and youll see..

And why should manufactures produce 96K plugins?

And why should they sell my card with such hi sample rate?

Just for nothing? I dont think so..

Anyways this is not about me, I hear my music perfectly on 44.100 at CD quality but I want u to also be able to hear what I hear..

So help me for your own sake..

Collin, I want feedback from u too..

Others, join as well even if u dont know anything about sample rate, just post whats your setup with sample rate and how much vsts do u use..

No 48.000 is OK.. But there are some confidential instructions that tells u that if u wanna quality of original u at least have to double a sample rate.. I dont plan to burn my audio card up to 174000 cause it wouldnt be convinient for downsampling.. You probably know that fact that converting to twice as much lower/higher sample rate gives best results..

You just type sample rate in adobe auditions help and click search or do the same in google and youll see..

Anyways this is not about me, I hear my music perfectly on 44.100 at CD quality but I want u to also be able to hear what I hear..

So help me for your own sake..

Cant help you buddy. I dont hear the diffrence on a vst instrument at 41.000 or 48.000... maybe my Genelec monitors are crap :(

Cant help you buddy. I dont hear the diffrence on a vst instrument at 41.000 or 48.000... maybe my Genelec monitors are crap :(

Of course you dont silly.. How could you when u hear up to 20000 Hz, you dont hear a lot of freq spectrum your genelecs produce.. Its not that they are crap, your ears are and so are mine.. And other possible reason is that your VST instrument doesnt support 48K so theres no change anyway.. Of course we have to take sound card into account and of course cables.. And bla bla.. The point is no one hears 147000 sample rate even if they have genelecs but we are not working in hearing spectrum hear, we are working with much subtler frequencies that have important effect on the overall hearing spectrum.. So thats the reason of recording at such high rates.. 48K is low sample rate on my opinion for such state of the art speaker, you are underestimateing them.. Man even back in the old days when pure goa was created it was produced on DATs and DATs supports 96000 sample rate.. And guys down there in the bush didnt have the genelecs for sure, just dat and couple of dirty and dusty turntables..

About your hearing.. Go and google about golden ear, I recommended it to you previously.. Maybe you will much better use your ears and genelecs after mastering the course..

and just to go little off.. Its really true what u said way back that more u know, more u realize that u know nothing.. Im talking about cubase.. Man, Im exploring some things I could only imagine.. Its really endless.. Will it ever come to an end of that learning curve..