Music Design?

Well, you actually are if most people think a composer is someone who creates classical music with notation. The thing is, it doesn't matter what your own personal definition of something is if everyone else agrees on a different definition.

I don't call myself a composer, because it's misleading.

okey then, im a liar, you are not. i really do not care what you think about this matter :lol: go invent a new thing, maybe you get famous for it :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okey then, im a liar, you are not. i really do not care what you think about this matter :lol: go invent a new thing, maybe you get famous for it :D

It's not about anybody lying, Nemo. All I'm saying is that the words that currently exist do not accurately describe what it is we do as artists who create electronic music.

It's not about anybody lying, Nemo. All I'm saying is that the words that currently exist do not accurately describe what it is we do as artists who create electronic music.

I don't think that Nemo is misleading anybody but they're allowing themselves to be misled. It's a matter of being up to date with todays top-pop definitions. If they want to go into depth and ask if it's classical or what at that time, that would give you the opportunity to describe into detail what you do exactly. Otherwise, if they respond with "oh, okay!" then carry on and think of you as a classical composer, so be it, they failed to question the most obvious fluke. Look at Nemo, I wouldn't think he's a composer of classical. hell fucking no. I'd think he was a jolly good party kid who's just pretending to be 30something [32?] who either eats drugs or ate drugs and mixes music like every party kid wants to do. I'd figure it out pretty quickly.

Now, on the other hand, if you give off another aura, like, some sort of classy dress code constantly, white hair down to your butt, but it's a wig, among other things, I would say you were into classical! :) HehE!!!

Okay, stereo typing, but i seem to know a gay person before they even talk! "Whoa, you look gay!" "That's because I AM GAY!" hahaha. Sorry! I was just trying to be funny. I'll be gone for awhile [not like you guys care]. I move tomorrow finally. And I have to find a job. So I think tonight's my last posting session for a week or more.

-d

ok. you win. :posford: :drama:

ohn Howard Carpenter (born January 16, 1948) is an American film director, screenwriter, producer, film score composer and occasional actor. Carpenter has worked in numerous film genres, and is considered one of the most accomplished and influential horror and science fiction directors in Hollywood.

I had to quote bring this up. John Carpenter used a Prophet 5 ;) and had some pretty cool soundtracks so I wanted to see what he's referred to as.

He's a film score composer.

So we can in fact be.

Electronic Music Composers.

Film scores aren't necessary classical, they can be any sort of style of music.

K, just sayin!

I'mma EMC yo!

-d

I dont know reading the last comments and so on... and me being at insomniac stages again (have not slept more than 2 hours the last week) it reminds me of a joke: (not a very good one)

"A man that builds 1000 bridges, but sucks ONE cock, is not a bridge builder, hes a fucking gay lord!"

(it takes some time to actually understand the joke, and I suspect some of you wont ever!) :lol:

I don't think that Nemo is misleading anybody but they're allowing themselves to be misled. It's a matter of being up to date with todays top-pop definitions. If they want to go into depth and ask if it's classical or what at that time, that would give you the opportunity to describe into detail what you do exactly. Otherwise, if they respond with "oh, okay!" then carry on and think of you as a classical composer, so be it, they failed to question the most obvious fluke. Look at Nemo, I wouldn't think he's a composer of classical. hell fucking no. I'd think he was a jolly good party kid who's just pretending to be 30something [32?] who either eats drugs or ate drugs and mixes music like every party kid wants to do. I'd figure it out pretty quickly.

Now, on the other hand, if you give off another aura, like, some sort of classy dress code constantly, white hair down to your butt, but it's a wig, among other things, I would say you were into classical! :) HehE!!!

Okay, stereo typing, but i seem to know a gay person before they even talk! "Whoa, you look gay!" "That's because I AM GAY!" hahaha. Sorry! I was just trying to be funny. I'll be gone for awhile [not like you guys care]. I move tomorrow finally. And I have to find a job. So I think tonight's my last posting session for a week or more.

-d

I think you're largely correct, devious, but I don't think it's really any person's fault if things are misinterpreted. What I'm really actually trying to get to with this thread is that it's words themselves that are at fault. Words carry our meaning for us. If I say "I'm going to eat a sandwich," people have a very precise idea what I'm about to eat. It doesn't matter what's actually on the sandwich. To say "I'm a composer" also carries a very precise meaning that has long since been established. Like Wikipedia says (thanks, Nemo), it generally - meaning for most people, including me - means that I'm writing classical music by writing it down on paper first, then having musicians play the music. The composer can also be, for example, a piano player, in which case he could perform the music, and is therefore also a musician as well as a composer.

But the closest we've come in this thread to describe someone who makes electronic music with software is "electronic music producer." That will certainly do, but I'd love it if there were one word instead of three, like everyone else seems to enjoy. It's not really a big deal, though, just something that's been on my mind here and there.

I think you're largely correct, devious, but I don't think it's really any person's fault if things are misinterpreted. What I'm really actually trying to get to with this thread is that it's words themselves that are at fault. Words carry our meaning for us. If I say "I'm going to eat a sandwich," people have a very precise idea what I'm about to eat. It doesn't matter what's actually on the sandwich. To say "I'm a composer" also carries a very precise meaning that has long since been established. Like Wikipedia says (thanks, Nemo), it generally - meaning for most people, including me - means that I'm writing classical music by writing it down on paper first, then having musicians play the music. The composer can also be, for example, a piano player, in which case he could perform the music, and is therefore also a musician as well as a composer.

But the closest we've come in this thread to describe someone who makes electronic music with software is "electronic music producer." That will certainly do, but I'd love it if there were one word instead of three, like everyone else seems to enjoy. It's not really a big deal, though, just something that's been on my mind here and there.

here is one word for you then: "electropsychonaut" :D

I do music <shrugs>

hahahaha, that was my first point, then I got tangled up in it.... why label it as something "super significant"... we make music, how we do it, how it sounds or which tools we used to achieve it does not matter in the end. end of story.