First track... ever.

So, through thick and thin, many diversions, and a criticizing conscience I have created my very first track.... If you can even call it that. As I am still extremely new to this whole music making deal I left out modulations and fancy custom synthesized voices, drums, pads, swooshy-things, breathtaking melodies etc. I tweaked a few of the instruments, added some stock effects, and attempted to master the whole thing a bit but beyond that I wanted to stick with creating a decent beat. I think it sounds fine for my first "track" but it would be pretty hard to dance to. What do you guys think I should add to create a more dance-worthy beat? Is it fine the way it is? What should I have left out? Is the sequencing okay? I spent a lot of time listening to all sorts of tracks to figure out how things were introduced and ended but I am still not quite sure about the general layout of a psytrance track. What flows, what doesn't flow? Constructive criticism and links to readings that would further my understanding of psytrance music would be much appreciated~.

BTW, Hitodama (lit. corpse candle) is the Japanese version of a ghost.... They're those little blue orbs you see floating around in Zelda, in Chinese ghost stories, or (possibly) while on shrooms wandering through the mountains. I wanted the song to have that sort of feel....

****EDIT****

I'm going to drop this track and move onto the next. The song is going in a completely different direction from where I would like to go and things are turning to mud as far as organization goes inside Fruity Loops. My PC is starting to lock up too. Heres the final version~ Added some snares and things as well as a GITS sample~. Be sure to check out the very end of the track.... I figure this would be a good one to drop onto unsuspecting dancers when things are starting to get really sketchy~.

HitoDama: http://media.putfile.com/HitoDama

I produce some psy and also ambient tracks myself, but I'm new as well so do not take my comments as professional advice.

here are some of my comments:

A very dark, spacey track overall - (actually it kinda sounds like suomi stuff). The stongest part about your track is definitely your intro beats....thats good.. and the funky gamelean samples u used really enhanced the overall exotic atmosphere. BUT, the track is too empty without other percussions. Add louder claps/hihats/bells/etc. Bassline is too light. You definitely need more fx and squelching sounds. Some arppegios coupled with another 303 synth would be pretty good. Another good part is that you actually managed to get the throbbing beat going on.

Keep it up dude. =)

A very dark, spacey track overall - (actually it kinda sounds like suomi stuff). The stongest part about your track is definitely your intro beats....thats good.. and the funky gamelean samples u used really enhanced the overall exotic atmosphere. BUT, the track is too empty without other percussions. Add louder claps/hihats/bells/etc. Bassline is too light. You definitely need more fx and squelching sounds. Some arppegios coupled with another 303 synth would be pretty good. Another good part is that you actually managed to get the throbbing beat going on.

Ah, thanks a bunch man. As far as i'm concerned that's professional advice. The beginning part actually has a cutoff filter modulation on the 3030ish 2; at the moment i'm working on covering the rest of the track with them. I'm pretty happy with the bass but I can't figure out how to put an audible kick over the top of it.... I actually got most of my info for the bass from here--> Electronic Music Production Tips..... Originally I was going for an "Ott: Blumenkraft" sort of feel but everything kind of went in the opposite direction when I started layering things. I'm actually a huge fan of Power Metal (as in Blind Guardian metal) and love music that tells a story so i'll probably try to make things even darker.... For future reference how could I turn this track into a lighter "Rogue Bagel" sort of feel with that "Dub" groove?

This is probably the wierdest psy i have ever heard :P

but imho, this is mearly a point of taste, id add more chordal progression and a harmonized bass...it sorta sounds like a collection of strange sounds, not much 'song' if you know what i mean. And it does sound rather empty, i agree with pretty much what the guy two posts above said, but i also think more melody and harmony would be awesome.... get a better kick, and like the other guy said, add more percussion, snares and stuff, imho, i think this would be better as a dark jungle or dnb track :P id say heck!, expriement and add a DnB perc line in there [keeping the 4/4 kick]...but really i'm only saying that because i would love to hear what it sounds like, do what YOU want though :)

This is your first track ever?

It's really impressive for the very first track, congratulations.

You worked great with the delays and the reverbs and the synths sound really spacey.

Just like the others guys said it would be great to add a loud hi-hat and a baalsting snare. It would explode your track for sure. Except if you don't want to make it that dancey.

Maybe add some more elements, too.

But for your first track ever is very-very good. Keep it up! :)

Listen not to the nay-sayers. It's totally fucking weird and that's what makes it cool. It could use some work on song progression and evolution, but the sounds and feel are great.

My first thought, though, was that it's WAY too fucking loud. Do yourself a favor and don't fall into the loudness wars.

it's WAY too fucking loud. Do yourself a favor and don't fall into the loudness wars.

Ah yeah. I tried to tone it down a bit but didn't have much success. All of the effects didn't help either. I need to do some major reading on "mastering" so that I can at least have a general idea of how to go about it~.