Korg Radius

What do u think about korg radius? I plan to sell my alesis micron and buy that korg rack edition.. But that means I have to sell my CME bitstream midi controller and buy m-audio axiom with keyboard cause synth will be rack.. Or should I buy korg with keyboard.. Is it worth it? Should I change my gear? Is it so much better?

What do u think about korg radius? I plan to sell my alesis micron and buy that korg rack edition.. But that means I have to sell my CME bitstream midi controller and buy m-audio axiom with keyboard cause synth will be rack.. Or should I buy korg with keyboard.. Is it worth it? Should I change my gear? Is it so much better?

I'm not very fond of digital stuff, but really, in all honesty, when I played with the P08, I had to touch the Radias. I think it'd be a much better upgrade for you to sell those bits and get the Radias. I would recommend getting it with the keyboard, it's a damn nifty setup and a nice feel. I see a lot of gearslutz are envious of it too for all the reasons that are sounds.

In my opinion, if I wasn't ANALOGwhore, it'd be the second digisynth I'd get, first being a nord lead 2x...

-d

Thanks man, I have more confidence now.. I think Ill get it,, Just to sell my alesis.. I didnt planed to buy it with keyboard but will check it out to.. I hope it has velocity sensitive keyboard..

It is indeed velocity sensitive so there's no let down there. The module itself is pretty intuitive. The keyboard isn't necessary, but it's what, like 100-150 dollars more to have it and it matches well and your wheels are LEDified!@ Blue which stinks. Red LEDs are by far the only LEDs to have in any electronic equipment :) [for the sake of our eyes and night time].

Anyways, keep us updated.

-d

So I checked it out.. I didnt expect a keyboard to be like that, first it was weird but than again it looks awesome.. Anyways Im not pleased with the blue led, how could they put blue led on a synth that has red buttons? And yeah the price.. Radias is twice more expensive compared to my alesis when u include that keyboard.. I wanted to make a simple change, add a little for Radius, change my bitstream for m-audio axiom which is twice cheaper and control korg with axiom.. Now I see the keyboard and I want it but also its expensive.. Maybe I should just start to save and maybe till Im 50 Ill get Nord lead 3 so I dont have to think about selling the synth after some time.. Although Radius has 24 voices which is impressive.. Theres a lot of calculation to do still and I have to read many reviews of radias so well see... Anways some people on the forums even compare it with nord but I think thats too much..

And which analog synth is your synth of choice?

So I checked it out.. I didnt expect a keyboard to be like that, first it was weird but than again it looks awesome.. Anyways Im not pleased with the blue led, how could they put blue led on a synth that has red buttons? And yeah the price.. Radias is twice more expensive compared to my alesis when u include that keyboard.. I wanted to make a simple change, add a little for Radius, change my bitstream for m-audio axiom which is twice cheaper and control korg with axiom.. Now I see the keyboard and I want it but also its expensive.. Maybe I should just start to save and maybe till Im 50 Ill get Nord lead 3 so I dont have to think about selling the synth after some time.. Although Radius has 24 voices which is impressive.. Theres a lot of calculation to do still and I have to read many reviews of radias so well see... Anways some people on the forums even compare it with nord but I think thats too much..

And which analog synth is your synth of choice?

I'm really retro in the sense. I attempted to modernize, and I partially succeeded. I ended up buying the Andromeda A6 along with more vintage gear. As for current gear, I've got a Prophet 5 revision 3.2, Andromeda A6, Juno 60, and an Alpha Juno 2. My next buy I was thinking a new monophonic synth, but the other day at my buddy's studio, I played with his Pro-One monophonic and I think that has to be the best god damn monophonic ever made!@# Hands down!

You know what I feel about the blue LEDs, you could just swap them out. Doing simple mods as such to modern digital equipment isn't a horrible thing. Honestly, doing it to analog gear can totally change the way the analog stuff sounds either for better or for worse. That's the biggest deal with modifying analog, you never know what you're going to get out of it after changing capacitors and such. With the digital stuff, all it is for the most part is a motorola dsp chip combined with some c++ so it's not going to affect the sound output which is nice. You'll always know what to get.

The Nord Lead 3 would be awesome. I would get a Nord way before I got a virus, however, I am disappointed that they're not working to make a nice small/compact version of the nord like Virus has done with their Indigo and recent success on the Polaris TI. It'd be nice to have a nice compact Nord 3 VA with a board.

Anyways, for shits and giggles, this reminds me of the Virus Indigo board I saw :)-

Posted Image

Do what you want man, really. The hardest thing is to get anybody elses opinion on any gear really. As with the monitor debate, it's not what you have, it's how you put it to use. And so long as you understand what you're doing with it and what you aim to achieve with a particular piece of gear, than only you should be able to determine ultimately what works for you. I would though take a Nord 3 over the Radius in a heart beat :)

-d

Oh, and the analog synth that IF I could have one would be a Prophet T8, 8 voice polyphony, the first and I think ONLY analog synthesizer offering poly-aftertouch and built like a tank. I really have a fond liking for keyboards that have a panel at an angle with a nice "shelf" for storing your food/dinner/drinks.

Like I say, despite it lacking features, I'd buy for a midi controller a Roland MKB-300 or MKB-1000 before I bought one of the new ones. It's all about the shelf for soda/drinks and food. ;)

Here are pictures:

The T8 and it's monsterness:

Posted Image

The Roland MKB series midi controller:

Posted Image

Unf to the flatness.

Oh, and another analog synth that I someday dream of owning:

Posted Image

=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

-d

Do what you want man, really. The hardest thing is to get anybody elses opinion on any gear really. As with the monitor debate, it's not what you have, it's how you put it to use. And so long as you understand what you're doing with it and what you aim to achieve with a particular piece of gear, than only you should be able to determine ultimately what works for you. I would though take a Nord 3 over the Radius in a heart beat :)

-d

There is an article about Korg Radius in an issue of Computer Music magazine (from last year I think). I'll look it up and see what they say about it ;)

Ed: Oops, did you mean Korg Radias or Radius? Cos this one is for the radias.

I explored the review of Radias(my bad) in sound on sound, keyboard, and remix magazine and I get conclusion that it has bad modulation, but its good for drums and vocoder is also good.. In many places in article its mentioned that it lacks some options like on alesis Ion so now I really start to appreciate what I have, my little monster.. And the looks, yeah I could change leds easily but all those red leds on the module, man it looks cheap.. I think I should wait for some long time and buy nord that will fit well with my micron(both are red).. It is written in the review that Radias is good for trance but so is the micron too.. And I really dont wanna lose that modulation options my micron has + I would lack one oscillator and the filters are not so well solved like on my much cheaper synth..

+ keyboard lacks aftertouch