The Silver Age Of Goa

Scryden

Hello all,

The oldschool lovers like me may agree, apart a few brilliant exceptions (such as RA, the pleiaidians and stuff) , that the golden age of goa ended around early 1998 , being "plagued" since by minimalism and now by the overexposed full on.Hell, even the artists who were on goa since day one turned into the fullon genre (which didn't happen with the minimalistic period) though however I understand you don't have to be stick to a kind of music forever... but the money helps maybe ?

Fortunately these last years we got more and more oldschool stuff released and I congratulate labels like suntrip, metapsychics or tranceform to keep the spirit alive, I guess this renewed generation got the history than me, having known the gold era while kid/teenager, then being fed of dangerously commercially compromised techno-trance all around and started releasing goa of their own.This movement amplified itself over these last year as we are getting more and more oldschool releases.Still under the edge compared to the good old time in terms of quantity as I'm rather sure that sadly we will never have a golden age again.

However I keeping hope and faith that this trend will continue to develop itself in the future, since there will always people to keep the spirit alive ,hence the kind of concept I call "the silver age of goa" following the golden age, according to ancient greek mythology.Though I'm not eager to see the bronze and even the iron age coming ! ;)

Do you think the re-release of dimension 5 could considered a sortof of symbolic beginning ?

Opinions ? Ideas ?

Discuss :)

then being fed of dangerously commercially compromised techno-trance all around and started releasing goa of their own.

Think about this for a second.

If the same old sound of Goa was massively produced again would it become 'dangerously commercially compromised Goa'?

Think about this for a second.

If the same old sound of Goa was massively produced again would it become 'dangerously commercially compromised Goa'?

Depends how "massive" this is done, if it is to a point to overhelm other genres indeed, it would sortof harmful to the rest of the "musical landscape" so to speak.

Hmm, do you think goa at that time was commercially compromised (and perhaps dangerous) at that time ? There were a wide variety of artists back them.And by "commercially comprimised" I distinguish two kind in music : music made for money and music made... just for the sake of making music.

Both genres quality can be argued, but (this is my personal opinion here) I tend to think music made for the sake of art tends to sound better than the one made for the listener's purpose.

Though indeed there's a good point :

An artist makes the musics he wants to, not the music people want to listen to.Thus I understand the pionners trend to not make "actual goa" anymore.We want them to do goa, but they do n't want doing so, though I'm skeptic about the influence of bling bling in their decision.

I just hope the "future oldschool" goa will be made by people who have a passion for goa and not a passion for money.As it was back in the good old times :)

Thank you for your replies ! :)

I was like that during 1998 - (around) 2002 :D

I have seen many "goa is not dead" supporters around, and by judging by the increase of oldskool stuff ,I guess something is going on (has to be taken with a grain of salt, of course)

I'm pretty lucid it will be never the same anyway,hence that's why I call it "silver age" instead of golden age part 2, or something.

there is no such thing as a silver and a golden age IMO

granted, the oldschool stuff was amazing and it's not played much anymore

but if you keep your eyes and especially your ears open you'll see and hear that there is a lot of good stuff around at all times ... it migh only be less known

just as there also exists bad stuff at all times ... I'm sure not all of the oldschool stuff was good

an example for the fact that there's still good music around: I just discovered Pusherstreet ... and I love that stuff ... no, it's no "goa" sound, but it's good music :)

Silver age? That's rather a strange term for what is happening to goa right now, but it might be true. As I see it, theres quite a few artists that were trying to re-live this 'forgotten' genre, and they've succeded, but on a more light level. What I mean is, they didn't exactly fire up all the people and made them start listening to Goa. Sure, there's quite a bunch goa fans that we're eagerly waiting for goa releases, and they've probably recognized the oldskool sound of it and loved it , but on a larger level, it still hasn't reached its peak in the masses. To be honest, we need a sort of 'newly' version of goa trance. It doesn't allways need to have the same layout as the oldskool goa tracks had, why not make something new? Isn't one of the reasons that goa artists stoped making goa because they were using the same layout all the time and they've just got fed of it? I mean, I kinda like the goa releases from the last couple of years, but I still think the artists are looking for their inspiration a little bit too much in the past, in the oldskool stuff. I'd like to hear more creativity in this genre, as that's one of the things that could really fire up the scene all over again. It's just my point of view ;)

I was like that during 1998 - (around) 2002 :D

I have seen many "goa is not dead" supporters around, and by judging by the increase of oldskool stuff ,I guess something is going on (has to be taken with a grain of salt, of course)

I'm pretty lucid it will be never the same anyway,hence that's why I call it "silver age" instead of golden age part 2, or something.

Goa will never die if you still love it! Even if it's just you :P

I agree that Psy has definitely seen an upturn of late. Not sure if it's the silver age of Goa but we'll see ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

All the overwhelming optimism and hopes of a sudden ressurection set aside, I thought that Metapsychic Records and Trancefrom Records both had their candles burn out, so to speak. :unsure:

Anyways, right now I'm digging out my "Calling Earth" 12" by Yves Deruyter. I could give a flying fuck whether it is goa or not- I'm keeping the old school alive in my own living room. YAY!

Anyways, from my point of view, there is a time and place for everything in history. Certain things just unwillingly may seem out of place when attempted to be brought back. Yeah, I was always a promoter of the whole do what you feel & feel what you do rhetoric, so if old school goa trance is what gives you the shivers down your spine, I'm with you. But the whole come back idea is a bit over the top in my opinion. What I mean is, the old school was here, it arrived, climaxed, bowed down in front of the audience and slowly walked off the stage to get replaced by the next act... Why the hell don't hip hop fans bitch (not as often) about the return of Eric B. & Rakim, Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five, Ultramagnetic MC's N.W.A.?