Oberheim Matrix 6 - Broken Aftertouch

Hello,

I have a "new" Oberheim Matrix 6 since last week. Unfortunately the Aftertouch doesn't work properly. I assume that the aftertouch-bar under the keys is broken. Do you know where to get replacement parts for that? Are there other synths that have such aftertouch-bars that might fit? It's monophonic, all voices react on aftertouch in the same way at the same time. I mean- they should do that, but ATM they don't ;)

I also lost(well not I, the guy I borowed) a knob on a mixete and cant found it.. Try to fit some other part..

Thats what I was warning u uys, old synth broke easily although there great to have at home but u must understand u shouldnt mess with the faders and knobs, only filter sweep here and there, other stuff u do with your midi controller.. Vintage stuff...

thanx!!

so you know... word just made it out to a few thousand peoples. ;)

---

I’m forwarding this for someone else. I thought I’d see if anyone on the list had an ideas.

“I've got an Oberheim MAtrix 6 since last week and unfortunately the Aftertouch doesn't work properly SadIt's by far not the only Problem... but the hardest to fix yet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. This applies for the upper octaves, the lower octaves work always fine.

I assume, that the aftertouch-bar/track under the keys is broken an needs to be replaced. But I couldn't find a spare-part yet. Do you know where I could find that? Would aftertouch-bars of other synths work aswell? If so - which ones? Where to get?”

cheers,

matrix

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com

to quote

"im not 100% sure about this but i think the aftertouch sensor on the

m6 could be just a single strip. if this is the case, its likely

that if it works for part of the keyboard but not the rest of it, its

just needs to be repositioned. or perhaps he needs to use the

keyboard on a flat surface like a tabletop. or maybe a screw from

the keyboard is missing... or a washer needs replacement to make the

keyboard sit at the right height everywhere? let us know what

happens.

mini"

thank you for your help, devious!

I already knew the thread at matrixsynth, i started it. I'm sorry for the extra effort, but I want to reach as many people as possible because this seems to be a very seldom problem and spare-parts don't exist anymore.

regards - mentris

thank you for your help, devious!

I already knew the thread at matrixsynth, i started it. I'm sorry for the extra effort, but I want to reach as many people as possible because this seems to be a very seldom problem and spare-parts don't exist anymore.

regards - mentris

No, that was posted on a mailing list by matrix. I was just reporting to you. There are far more people on the mailing list than visit matrix's site :) that's where he got the information and I posted it here before he posted it on matrixsynth. Figured I'd getit to you faster, depending on what you read first.

-d

• 2 weeks later...

I exchanged the felt on the aftertouch-bar, soldered all cables/ contacts once more and fixed the screws carefully. Now it works again :rolleyes: But I don't know exactly, what caused the problem after all.

Aditionally I exchanged all buttons (23 pieces, ugh), replaced the two potentiometers in the levers and exchanged one broken voice chip. It was a lot of work and much sweat but now I'm happy with my matrix 6, everything works fine :lol:

Only the surface is not that beautiful anymore, many rusty areas. Maybe I find a solution even for that. Any ideas?

I exchanged the felt on the aftertouch-bar, soldered all cables/ contacts once more and fixed the screws carefully. Now it works again :rolleyes: But I don't know exactly, what caused the problem after all.

Aditionally I exchanged all buttons (23 pieces, ugh), replaced the two potentiometers in the levers and exchanged one broken voice chip. It was a lot of work and much sweat but now I'm happy with my matrix 6, everything works fine :lol:

Only the surface is not that beautiful anymore, many rusty areas. Maybe I find a solution even for that. Any ideas?

Doesn't it feel like your child now after you've spent that time and effort doing such? It's because of similar service to my Prophet 5 that I will never ever part for it, unless it's for a trade of two Prophet 5's ;)

Anyways, I don't know what was wrong with your pots, but next time just try some deoxy spray. It works wonders.

Post some photos if you get the chance.

;)

Aaron

Well, I just bought a Matrix 6r on ebay today. Look forward to receiving it.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!@# I think I was inspired by matrix and him talking about how his favorite all-time synth is the matrix 6 and you talking about your broken matrix. I've reached my maximum capacity for keyboards so it's time to fill more rack spaces. :)

-d

Well, I just bought a Matrix 6r on ebay today. Look forward to receiving it.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!@# I think I was inspired by matrix and him talking about how his favorite all-time synth is the matrix 6 and you talking about your broken matrix. I've reached my maximum capacity for keyboards so it's time to fill more rack spaces. :)

-d

I have a broken Matrix 6R :(

Wish you were local, I'd fix it for you. ;) Haha! What's wrong with it? Audio output? Dead voices? No power up on power?

-d

Well the last few times I tried it, it wouldn't power up. But I tried it just now and it works! Go figure. It's not hooked up to anything at the moment though and my rack is kind of awkward to get to the back of but from memory, it has crackly voices and is generally unreliable. Biggest hoover sounds though.

Well the last few times I tried it, it wouldn't power up. But I tried it just now and it works! Go figure. It's not hooked up to anything at the moment though and my rack is kind of awkward to get to the back of but from memory, it has crackly voices and is generally unreliable. Biggest hoover sounds though.

I don't know how much of a screwdriver wiz you are but pop open that case, and clean the output areas with some alcohol and swabs. Assuming it's on all the voices, otherwise, I'd recommend paying attention to ebay for some cem3996 chips. There were just two in the UK that went for 20 bucks, or...well whatever the conversion is for gbp :) today

Or put it up on ebay, seems those sell for like 500USD in england :-D versus their going rate of about 300-350 here. I got mine for 249.99+16 s/h woot. Hope it works cause nothing I've gotten off ebay vintage as of lately has worked :( upon receipt GAH

-d

The calibration-function (Master edit: No 52) might do wonders. The CEM 3396 chips are the weakest points in the matrixes, I had to replace one, too. If you need one, call me, I can make a good contact B)<_< For any special questions go to the hardcore-synth-fetishists at http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/index.php They have an englisch section, too.

Doesn't it feel like your child now after you've spent that time and effort doing such?

Well, it was a really hard birth Posted Image and we have a connection now, but it is not only positiv :angry:

Anyways, I don't know what was wrong with your pots, but next time just try some deoxy spray. It works wonders.

They were fully worn, the man who owned the synth before was a professional live-musician who played it since 1985 :huh: I had to remove tons of confetti, it was everywhere. I even found a paper-clip under the board :rolleyes:

Post some photos if you get the chance.

I would like to, but unfortunately I don't own a cam...

Well, it was a really hard birth Posted Image and we have a connection now, but it is not only positiv :angry:

They were fully worn, the man who owned the synth before was a professional live-musician who played it since 1985 :huh: I had to remove tons of confetti, it was everywhere. I even found a paper-clip under the board :rolleyes:

I would like to, but unfortunately I don't own a cam...

Ahaha, I want to comment with regards to the 3396's and any cem, ssm, or other vintage vco, adsr, vcf, vca, etcetera chips out there, including SIDs ;) stock up. If you have vintage gear that you never plan on dumping like me and my prophet 5, make sure you have a supply of the chips and other various parts on hand. Does not apply to most people here!

Anyways, yeah, really hard birth indeed. Hope you got it at a "parts" kind of price. I bought one after your last post of talking about repairing it. It's not here yet. I got the rack module. I got screwed over on the purchase of a Juno 60 so I took the money and bought a modular and 6r instead.

As for the pots, well, it's good to know they were used a lot. Boy, lots of equipment is popping up where nobody even touched it since the purchased [my modular for instance]. These are scary. I hear of Juno 106's being bought in NEW condition. After a week of it being turned on and off and used....the voice chip start to go bad. Freaky! Glad I got rid of mine. ;)

Well, glad for you! Hope she pumps out some good sounds for you.

-d