stealing kicks

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealing basic music architecture sucks.. For long time I used samples for kicks and hats (but never tried to steal something direct from the track except some ethno samples that u cant reproduce at your own and of course vocal stuff from movies, thats cool).. But recently Im trying to make every part of track authentic and original including kicks.. I use RM IV for that.. Its ok but Im trying to get Waldorf edition pack of synths for my percussions.. And for kick I have some new stuff that I use.. Ill probably use RM IV mainly as sampler unit since it doesnt have controls I want for the kick.. But its ok for start.. Its authentic even if it sucks.. Its better to suck originally then to suck when u copied something from others.. So be original man and use your creativity.. Otherwise music is loosing its original nature

I think it's perfectly allright. I can't see no reason why not. I think a lot of producers consider it "too easy" (while still doing it). At the same time, there seems to be consensus that stealing overall musical ideas is just fine (structure of breaks, arrangement, basslines, whatever...).

To me, sampling is an art, that should be just as recognised as good synh programming. And to put a little perspective on the topic, if you like Simon Posford, be very careful about saying "stealing musical elements and sampling them is wrong" ;)

-A

well, i heard an awesome kick in a bufo track, i have actually not the skills to create such a perfectly produced and mastered kick, so i considered stealing it.

Go right ahead :) -f it contributes to the pool of great music in the world, it would be a same not to ;)

Personally, I would take it as a great compliment, if someone stole (a little, not entire sections) from me...

-A

It's called "sampling" and is quite alright!

Depends on the sample though. For instance, the MWNN kick is very distinct, so if you sample that people will notice straight away. But most kicks are a bit "generic", so it shouldn't matter if you sample a few.

1.everybody "steals" music on the internet (mp3's)

2.(all psy) artists steal VST's and FX from softwaredevelopers while complaining about people stealing their music.

3.Big commercial labels steal money from everybody by selling them bullshit, spend millions to promote it, but it's still BS.

you see,

the music industry is all about stealing, so who are we to tell you shouldn't sample a kick ( only a stupid lousy kick) from another track.

I'd say go ahead. If anybody gets pissed ask them what they have stolen involving audio. (mp3's, VST, software etc)

I'm certain everybody stole more then a kick....THey have no right to speak about just a kick. stealing software and VST's is much worse than editting a kick...imo

It's just a kick!!! why are you even asking this, if it's from a psyartist he probably downloaded it from the net anyway so it's not his kick.

If a hobbyist musician told me he "stole" my kick, i would be soooooo happy cause it's a great token of appreciation.

it's just a kick...just edit it and play with it, it's not like you're going to release it on labels like universal....

If you steal, even just once you are DANMED TO BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY !!!

The music mafia will hunt you down and break your legs and rape your wife while smoking low tar cigerettes.

Black clouds will form over your homestead and a plague of locusts will eat your crops.

You will be compared to Skazi and children will snicker when they see your face in public and you will be........

CAST OUT

ever heard of the amen break?

whole subgenres like jungle are built on it, so why can't you sample a kick.. sampling bass is lame though :(

Yeah, just like the beat from James Brown's "Funky Drummer"... It has been through quite a few converteres over the years! I am just curius though, why is it lame to sample bass - what is the difference? What makes it allright to sample one thing but not another?

1.everybody "steals" music on the internet (mp3's)

2.(all psy) artists steal VST's and FX from softwaredevelopers while complaining about people stealing their music.

3.Big commercial labels steal money from everybody by selling them bullshit, spend millions to promote it, but it's still BS.

you see,

the music industry is all about stealing,

I generally agree with your view that sampling is okay... But I prefer to call it "borrowing inspiration" instead of stealing. And for the points:

(1) I don't, and I think there are a lot of people who don't.

(2) I don't anymore. Since I began working for TC Electronic I can see what a big problem it is, and how much better the development and in the end products we would have, if there was no piracy. You're only cheating yourselves guys ;)

if it wassnt for sampling, there would be no electronic music to start with. enough said.

Word! Sort of... We would still have synthesizers, and pioneers like Kraftwerk would still have gotten the ball rolling. In the development of electronic music, the sampler is a fairly new invention. But I think, for the styles we have today, it is one of the most important advances.

- A

I hope you enjoy the fires of Hell Nemo.

There is no hell in my world. There is no heaven either. My soul will be caught by aliens and brought to the other world, making me ready to go to higher state of conciousness in techno land. You know in techno land, god is a sampler.

Sampling is one thing, stealing kicks is other

bullshit, stealing a whole loop is another thing. and that has been done for a long time, and some of your favorite tracks would not exist if it wassnt for the FUNKY drummer ;) Its a kick ffs.

do you think it is ok to cut out i.e. steal a kick from an existing track using soundforge?

Oh shit!

Do you mean to let a track of another artist without a bass drum?

:wank:

... OK! I want the hi hats and snares! Is that a deal?

HOW many? Man, you really think I can count them all? Tons.. And the list is getting bigger every day.. I have original wind 98 but I dont use it :lol:

But thats not stealing music.. thats stealing tools.. Tools alone cant do anything..

Anyway I paid for all my copies of vsts.. Well not with money but YOU PAY ANYWAY.. Thats the topic I planned to open.. I warned people year ago about viruses in free vst I was downloading.. Now Im getting more serious stuff and in last month I had system meltdown 2 times.. And u tell me I dont pay the price.. You dont know how much valuble data I lost and how much trouble it was.. I have my system back up and now need to install cubase and stuff that follows it..

So be warbed, dont make money using warezed software

cause you will pay much greater price..

Anyways I tend to use my hardware synths mainly and few original vsts I have..

I would bought all of them but I dont have credit card :lol:

Man, Im off I need to install that huge arsenal of mine.. Production is suffering..

you are not real.

you think its ok to steal from software manufacturers, you dont even own xp, but stealing one single KICK drum is not ok? Sorry, there are no words of what I think of you. I at least admit to have stolen music/programs/whatever, but you take the price.

you are not real.

:lol:

Anyways do u have some recommendations for good kick maker and percussion synthesizer..

And no its not ok to steal software as much as stealing kick is.. But when u steal kick somebody can recognize it.. And in other case it cant..

Its just that people should develop their skillz and stealing music isnt good at all.. I only once stealed kick drum.. But I played it with my synth live and it took time while It was as good as original, I didnt copy raw sound file..

I steal vocals from films and samples like that mainly, but who doesnt?..