Infected Mushroom.

NEMO.BOFH

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop blaming IM for "evolving". I'm not saying their new stuff is better, but just that more of CM and TG would be recycled shit.

Why not respect them for experiment new stuff (show me one band that gambled so hard on an album so different from typical psytrance like Converting Vegetarians)

True, IM have shown they CAN make really good psytrance (B.P Empire being my personal favourite). If they decided to not make a specific type of music, then that's their right as artists. I dont particularly like their new style but thats my opinion. The production is excellent, I just dont like the music. And that is not their problem. It's my problem.

They are very good actually. It's just not my cup of tea. Five out of five for effort though :)

Possesed by the Devil. Seriously.

It's one thing to start writing different music than you used to and explore other genres and completelly different thing ot allow to someone that has the worst voice ever to sing in your tracks.

Are they f*cking deaf? Someone shut Duvdev now! :angry:

With all honesty psytrance today is pretty limited in variety. There are certain patterns to which artists obligated to.

Take Last days of Gravity, but then again that's not psytrance. I am pretty sure Simon got sick of psytrance.

That's why artists like IM and Simon draw away from the scene.

You should've see the amount of people Infected Mushroom managed to get together in mainstream Israel, to celebrate their 10th anniversary (why did they start counting at 96? odd, that). They had to hold two shows because the first show was sold out, with over 10000 people! Israel is a small country, and in fact - most of my psy-trance loving friends didn't even go because they said the gig would be too commercialized.

We've got Infected Mushroom in the radio, here. They've cut a deal with a local cellular provider, they make special ringtones for our cellphones. They've made the sounds in the new ICQ version 6, they've had collaborations with tons of non-psy artists... they've been chosen the #1 trance artist by DJMag this year!

Seriously, they've just shifted their focus. I guess they want to be a huge, worldwide phenomenon rather than catering to the small psytrance community - and they're well on their way. They've done remixes of The Doors, officially endorsed by The Door's music label! A compilation with some of the most popular electronic artists in the world (Oakenfold, BT, etc).

Infected Mushroom taught me what psytrance is... I adore their previous efforts, and I do love some of their current offerings: Heavyweight, Vicious Delicious (the tracks that is). Also, some tracks of IM The Supervisor: Meduzze, Bombat, Stretched - etc. But, I've learnt that there are artists that create psytrance music that I love way more than IM's latest offerings: Talpa, Jaia and Artifakt are always the ones that come to mind for some reason, but there's tons of others.

I wish IM good luck in their new way... I still enjoy their gigs, their music, but they sadly have "lost the lead" when it comes to my favorite artists.

And yes, abasio, I agree - Erez Aizen in a solo project would indeed be amazing. Back to the source... but since they have a gig every 3 days, they're always on the road / in the air - I can't see that happening in the near future :(

And yes, abasio, I agree - Erez Aizen in a solo project would indeed be amazing. Back to the source... but since they have a gig every 3 days, they're always on the road / in the air - I can't see that happening in the near future :(

After hearing how awesome shiva shidapu are (DJ Jorg is a very good producer too... even still... it sounds like that IM charm). I'd have to totally agree with you.

Or maybe in a project with anyone but the other IM guy (goa trance that is). I'd love to see Erez Airen on a track on the new AP album for example would sound awesome (DJ Jorg has hooked up with AP before... maybe shiva shidapu should get back together and or help a track on the new AP album).

You should've see the amount of people Infected Mushroom managed to get together in mainstream Israel, to celebrate their 10th anniversary (why did they start counting at 96? odd, that). They had to hold two shows because the first show was sold out, with over 10000 people! Israel is a small country, and in fact - most of my psy-trance loving friends didn't even go because they said the gig would be too commercialized.

We've got Infected Mushroom in the radio, here. They've cut a deal with a local cellular provider, they make special ringtones for our cellphones. They've made the sounds in the new ICQ version 6, they've had collaborations with tons of non-psy artists... they've been chosen the #1 trance artist by DJMag this year!

Seriously, they've just shifted their focus. I guess they want to be a huge, worldwide phenomenon rather than catering to the small psytrance community - and they're well on their way. They've done remixes of The Doors, officially endorsed by The Door's music label! A compilation with some of the most popular electronic artists in the world (Oakenfold, BT, etc).

Infected Mushroom taught me what psytrance is... I adore their previous efforts, and I do love some of their current offerings: Heavyweight, Vicious Delicious (the tracks that is). Also, some tracks of IM The Supervisor: Meduzze, Bombat, Stretched - etc. But, I've learnt that there are artists that create psytrance music that I love way more than IM's latest offerings: Talpa, Jaia and Artifakt are always the ones that come to mind for some reason, but there's tons of others.

I wish IM good luck in their new way... I still enjoy their gigs, their music, but they sadly have "lost the lead" when it comes to my favorite artists.

I posted so much on this topic back in the day. Just read what I wrote on "B.P. EMPIRE" (in the review section here) when I heard they were going to "sell-out" so to speak. I went nuts. People thought I was acting like an idiot but I loved IM's music so much and didn't want to see what I loved changed.

Naturally the thought of IM changing was worse than what came to be. They still create an awesome track or tune every now and then. Their new main albums without singing will forever stay in glory with the first three.

My favorite album by them is, no surprise, CLASSICAL MUSHROOM, which I called a "musical masterpiece" in my review. After 10 years relative to around 1998, Infected Mushroom decided to attempt to appeal past the Psy and Goa-Trance realm, and why blame them? Only those into Psytrane and Goa had mostly heard of them until now. They're still widely unrecongized to many people in the United States. Their more "mainstream" album(s) aren't even in our retail stores to my knowledge.

Anyway, after almost ten years of producing non-vocal-related Psy-Trance, they saw an opportunity to do something different, however related, and took it. Money. Fame. Whatever.

Most of you would would change to for millions WITHOUT selling your soul. Notice how I said most, not all. You just don't realize it. I don't think IM sold their soul. They changed to something we generally like less (some ALOT less) because many of us knew their music when the mainstream was still wearing diapers so to speak; before the mainstream was aware they existed. We know how strong the roots are because we saw them grow, thinking it would only grow one stylish, psychedelic path, the tree went an entirely different direction.

IM chooses to make what they make whether we like it or not. Sure I'd love another Psy-Trance masterpiece like the days of yesteryear but don't bet on it. And move on. You're beyond it. Focus on the positive, even if it means hearing their albums from the past again and again and again, etc.

What I'd like to see from them (which is more realistic currently to ask for) is more singing tracks without that guys singing! For the love of whichever GOD you believe in... please....(!!!)

The actual singing and vocals on Converting Vegitarians - The Other Side and the female vocals on Muse Breaks (RMX) on IM the Supervisor was really good. More of that please. If IM can introduce a wider range of elegant female vocals that compliment the music, I'm all for it. If they want to make more tracks (once in a while) like the opening on "CV - The Other Side" with the guys voice, go for it. Because we can have more fun when someone isn't taking themselves so seriously and sucking at it.

I have accepted IM change. There's no point in arguing what isn't. And their evolution doesn't mean "better" per say. It's just a change during a progression forward. I'm greatful for albums like Classical Mushroom and B.P. Empire especially and will probably like them until the day I die.

The girl singer on IM The Supervisor is Noa Lembarski, from the band J.Viewz - Muse Breaks is a remix after all :) I agree - she has an awesome voice.

I also love Sakharof's vocals... Deeply Disturbed, Static Dancing (less)..

IM can make great tracks with vocals. I agree with you, Jon, that Duvdev's vocals suck. But since he wants, I think, to be the famous lead-man and a "superstar" - he sings. He doesn't even stand near the DJ instruments, he jumps on stage and sings, looks at the guitarists and drummer (they have one now!), jumps around... doesn't bother to pretend he has anything to do with what's being played. That's Erez's job :)

I think our best and only hope is that Erez makes a solo project at one point or another... then we might see some of the best trance the world has seen in years. :) Heavyweight makes you wonder what could've been done instead of "Artillery, rata ta ta ta"...

Heavyweight makes you wonder what could've been done instead of "Artillery, rata ta ta ta"...

I agree. I've thought of that too. I woud love to see a new IM album with tracks like Heavywright. I thought the song was very good but the first half was excellent. I also thought the self-titled Vicious Delicious track was good but Duvdev didn't have to put his finger prints all over the song by singing "OOOH-YYYEAHAA." It was so pretentious. Musically the song was solid. The lyrics often take me out of the awesome state the music puts me in unless the song has lyrics and a VOICE that compliments the song, like on Muse Breaks (RMX). Aside from that song, I admit the song "In front of me" isn't my style or the lyrics, but the singing works with the song. I can see that.

IM is trying too much to appeal to everyone. Duvdev is making the group look silly. The group is losing core respect while gaining enormous recognition from fans that come like a trend. Then, after the first 4 tracks excluding Artillery, the VD album turns into a compilation of new idea singing songs for a third before returning to Psy. This messes up the flow and gives the album a serious identity crisis. Then IM puts three more or less kickass tracks in the end as if to say to us... "Yeah, we know it was anal rape sitting through the last couple tracks. Here you go, a good lasting impression. The rest will kickass!!!"

And I sit back and think, why the hell don't they just release two separate albums??! One for tracks like Heavyweight and another for singing songs like Artillery which really sounds straight off a Linkin Park album, literally. Take "Change The Formality" now, which unlike the others, tries to incorporate both PSY and singing at one second-act time. This song has one of the best climaxe to driving take-offs IM has EVER done in my opinion, after the singing. The singing wasn't necessary in that track because it's [at heart] a pumped up Psy-Trance song. You can't compliment the sheer, electronic pump with various singing sections! The lyrics seem so out-of-place in "Change the Formality" because it's already put the listener in a blazing mental ride not related to dialogue. The climax saves the song in a sense. But the song comes off like a beautiful girl with a limp. IM should stick to singing throughout the song, or avoid singing or saving a verse to randomly add where it's NOT in support. With the final track "Before," they got it. They did something right. The non-vocal tracks at times makes me realize how amazing this album could have been if they were consistent to what they do best, which is Psytrance, including great, innovative Psy like Heavyweight.

IM can make great tracks with vocals. I agree with you, Jon, that Duvdev's vocals suck. But since he wants, I think, to be the famous lead-man and a "superstar" - he sings. He doesn't even stand near the DJ instruments, he jumps on stage and sings, looks at the guitarists and drummer (they have one now!), jumps around... doesn't bother to pretend he has anything to do with what's being played.

lol. That pretty much sums it up. No further words. :D;)

i just wonder why the djs dont play the good old IM tracks anymore. :huh:

i was in the club on saturday and the dj played cities of the future... not a track you should play in a club imo.

there are so many old banging and truely psychedelic IM tunes, why dont they play them anymore?

i would love to dance to these tracks and lose my mind. :lol:

i was in the club on saturday and the dj played cities of the future... not a track you should play in a club imo.

there are so many old banging and truely psychedelic IM tunes, why dont they play them anymore?

+1, and not just with respect to IM tunes. Whenever I hear people DJ they seem to always just play very recent or killlargh unrlsd stuff. What's wrong with throwing in a few tunes that are more than a year old?

Uhh most if it is too different and or not dancefloor orientated?

I mean theres B.P. Empire which is mostly bog standard (but near perfect bog standard) which has plenty but the only really mixable track on the gathering is psycho surely. I've only been to like one event however the one event that I did go to I saw a DJ playing B.P. Empire.

Infact at royal doof 4 the only DJ that played decent tunes was the guy playing B.P. Empire. Well I know if i was doing a Psy set theres a good chance of B.P. Empire and other tunes from the album being on there (one of my old sets... the ones before I had traktor had b.p. empire in it... pretty much the only older set I plan to revive btw).

I know if I was a Psy DJ I'd chuck in B.P. Empire and stuff like psycho in once in a while. From what I've heard from a few psy djs here that I've talked to B.P. Empire is a classic too... so I dare to contest your point.

Jon, I completely agree! Change The Formality is a great track, and yes - the vocals aren't very necessary, but they do somehow work.

I think the best bet for them would've been to release a Converting Vegetarians like album, with "nutrance" on one side and "psytrance" on the other. But then again, they want to make it big, not play experimental and cater to all sides... when you try to cater to all sides, you usually lose :)

I guess there's no point in any more words... just hope for the future.

Uhh most if it is too different and or not dancefloor orientated?

I mean theres B.P. Empire which is mostly bog standard (but near perfect bog standard) which has plenty but the only really mixable track on the gathering is psycho surely.

What are you talig? To me The Gathering and Classical Mushroom seem way more dancefloor-oriented than their later stuff, especially IM the Supervisor (I haven't heard the new one).

What are you talig? To me The Gathering and Classical Mushroom seem way more dancefloor-oriented than their later stuff, especially IM the Supervisor (I haven't heard the new one).

'

I would agree I can't see anyone dancing to any of the tracks on I'm the supervisor. But then also I never really thought that any of IM's music really is dance oriented. I think their music works best on a stereo or in headphones just for the sake of listening.

'

I would agree I can't see anyone dancing to any of the tracks on I'm the supervisor. But then also I never really thought that any of IM's music really is dance oriented. I think their music works best on a stereo or in headphones just for the sake of listening.

I never said any of the I'm the supervisor tracks were danceable.

• 10 years later...

Sometimes I enjoy my self because I'm quick and see things fast.. Sometimes I laugh, because I'm so slow.

When I first heard this track (i got it from Napster in 2000/2001) and had never really heard Psytrance before except for some MWNN and Zodiac Youth.., I thought it was of course a very cool and different piece of music (i came from a more (nu-) Metal taste background and IMs 2 first albums listened to for the very first time combined with a virgin trip on psychedelics (mexicans) just overwhelmed & converted me into a psytrance head).
I never did really understand though, except for being a cool movie (Independence Day) and a gnarly sample, why in a Psy/Goa-trance album there was this lyric/sample about dying/hate. Except for, the ego-death metaphor.. Anyway, it was kinda overlooked as silly to meaningful and the IM love with a growing love for other Psy- and Goa artists continued. The track is also of much poorer sound-quality then the rest of The Gathering album btw imo.

A couple of years ago, a sad thought hit me, that the track could be about political dilemmas, like the Gaza strip..... Then just a few weeks ago it struck me, and I am so embarrassed I didn't realize this before (truth can be multiple who knows how many thoughts or no thoughts/intentions the IM had while making it). The guitar in the track Release Me, is snatched from a Metallica track. And one could argue that napster made IM, sort of say ,) Metallica was in the front of killing Napster right. Aum shanti.... Ba-Boom! Release Me......