First impression of the Prophet 08

Today I spent 2 1/2 hours playing with one. It was fun. I really really really now would like to have one more than ever, HOWEVER!!!! Despite the phatness it gave, it had a lot of depth and oraganic sound to it......the knobs, those knobs....those fucking knobs. I am serious, for 2k dollars, that's what he's offering for knobs? Those things were so fragile and had so much wobble in them, I almost shat myself. I could not believe those were left out!

The pitch/mod wheel also sucks. It should had been down below next to the keys, but doesn't get in the way. I really had fun with it, really! The sweeps are incredible. It's nice seeing which of the voices you're using too versus all the vintage shit ;) I really think it was great, really! Although, for durability, I am a bit concerned. But man, if you want some crazy alien landscape sounds, this is one badass synthesizer.

el brujo, it's a r0x0rz j0r s0x0rz kind of synth, indeed. I am just worried about the pots/knobs being so wobbly. Dave should had went all out on those. I also didn't like the control. It was hard getting a particular when turning the knob. Any of them, it seemed to skip values, er I should say maybe too sensitive?

Okay, I admit it, I'm now ready to buy one :), but will wait until the price drops a little bit. Because of the knob issue, I find it worth considerably less. Even the Evolver has strong knobs [as bad as it sounds]. I did play with an evolver too, but I really like the idea of a couple hundred dollars less and 2 extra voices. I wouldn't really mind having all of the DSI shit now! Hah! I'm in heaven.

So yes, if you're a hardware dude, go get one, at least give it a try. But don't break those knobs tweakin it. I almost did, man!

-d

Devious

So in the end it suck.. To me Prophet 5 looks awesome but then again it is to simple for some nasty things..

With witch evolver did u mess with? Poly or mono? I played with mono and knobs are bit hard and too close to each other but however u can make some crazy shh.. Are knobs on poly worse than on mono? How could it be? Is Dave really so dumb to put better knobs on cheaper synth?

Anyways Alesis has best knobs I ever used and probably ever will.. There is no comparisons when u try one.. And all Alesis stuff has them, even MIDI controllers..

and pitch/mod on my micron is better than on that evo its horizontally aligned, little weird but when u get used to it its like driveing a car, and the red LED is progressivly illuminating pitch wheel (on evo its blue).. I dont know man, Im really all horny about that poly evo but now ur saying this..

Devious

So in the end it suck.. To me Prophet 5 looks awesome but then again it is to simple for some nasty things..

With witch evolver did u mess with? Poly or mono? I played with mono and knobs are bit hard and too close to each other but however u can make some crazy shh.. Are knobs on poly worse than on mono? How could it be? Is Dave really so dumb to put better knobs on cheaper synth?

Anyways Alesis has best knobs I ever used and probably ever will.. There is no comparisons when u try one.. And all Alesis stuff has them, even MIDI controllers..

and pitch/mod on my micron is better than on that evo its horizontally aligned, little weird but when u get used to it its like driveing a car, and the red LED is progressivly illuminating pitch wheel (on evo its blue).. I dont know man, Im really all horny about that poly evo but now ur saying this..

No, the P8 didn't suck, it was pretty good. I mean afterall, it's the sound were after right? I'm just hesitant over the build quality because I am looking for the perfect setup to gig with that can hold up in a case. I mean, I take extremely good care of my stuff even if it's being brought back and forth to my friend's studio all of the time. I am worried the P8 would not hold up so well under gigging. Like, doing live stuff, and suddenly a pot breaks because of their flimsiness.

I played with the poly evolver. The knobs on it are nice, still a tad bit of play, but much better in the quality area of things. I guess Dave sacrificed build quality for features in the P08 and gave the poly evolver only four voices and put the money more towards the build quality me thinks. I have not touched the mono evolver so I couldn't tell you a comparison between the poly and mono, sorry.

Actually, I just posed the question about Alesis' A6's knobs on Gearslutz.com - hoping to get a good answer as to what I want to hear, like what you just said. :)

Also, I like red better. Especially during the night, as an astronomer, a space geek, we can only use red light to see, it does not affect our night time vision nearly as much, although a tiny bit. Looking into a blue led and looking up at the stars just doesn't work very well. A red led will permit you to look down, modulate, and than look up at the stars :) and still see stars. Heheh.

-d

Also, I like red better. Especially during the night, as an astronomer, a space geek, we can only use red light to see, it does not affect our night time vision nearly as much, although a tiny bit. Looking into a blue led and looking up at the stars just doesn't work very well. A red led will permit you to look down, modulate, and than look up at the stars :) and still see stars. Heheh.

-d

Thats cool, I never thinked about it in that way.. Its true acording to the laws of physics..

Anyways, you should have no doubt about A6.. It has the same knobs as my micron only more of the.. A lot more..

That mono is great, the guy who sold me micron bought mono evo after alesis.. I tried, its special.. But I needed a keyboard on a synth and poly is too expensive.. And only 4 voices, thats not much of a poly

Thats cool, I never thinked about it in that way.. Its true acording to the laws of physics..

Anyways, you should have no doubt about A6.. It has the same knobs as my micron only more of the.. A lot more..

That mono is great, the guy who sold me micron bought mono evo after alesis.. I tried, its special.. But I needed a keyboard on a synth and poly is too expensive.. And only 4 voices, thats not much of a poly

I don't dobt the A6, I just wish I could find one already for a good going price that somebody will confirm all voices for me if I have to buy it without seeing it. ;)

Right about the poly, it is expensive, but you do get what you paid for in the market of synths. It's like they say, all it requires for a virtual analog is a motorola dsp chip and somebody who knows c++, but when it comes to designing and laying out a full analog, you need somebody with credentials who has a lot of physics under their belt. ;)

-d